Herefords - from Drovers

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Study shows Hereford heterosis advantage (Wednesday, September 26, 2007)

Preliminary research shows a $78 advantage for Hereford-sired calves compared to Angus-sired calves in a real-world commercial setting.

The American Hereford Association (AHA) announced the first-year results of a heterosis study being conducted in cooperation with California State University, Chico; Lacey Livestock; Harris Feeding Co.; and Harris Ranch Beef Co. The objective of the research project was to conduct a controlled crossbreeding system, comparing progeny sired by Hereford and Angus bulls, under commercial conditions, emphasizing economic differences at the ranch, feedlot and packing plant.

Ten Hereford bulls selected for specific expected progeny differences (EPDs) were matched with 10 Angus bulls of comparable genetics. Bulls were randomly mated to 400 mature Angus-based cows. All calves were identified with electronic identification (EID) tags and DNA samples were taken to determine parentage. All cattle had equal access to comparable feed resources and management in extensive, relatively harsh environments.

The differences in weaning performance, feedlot performance, carcass value and overall profitability were measured on the Angus- and Hereford-sired calves. According to Jack Ward, AHA chief operating officer and director of breed improvement, “Preliminary data suggests a significant economic advantage of $86 per head in the feedlot phase for the Hereford-sired calves.

“Primary differences were gain, feed efficiency, morbidity and mortality, resulting in a lower cost of gain, $11.94 per hundredweight (cwt.); which equates to a $7.32 per cwt. difference when mortality of the Angus-sired steers was excluded,” Ward said. He added that the Angus-sired group had a significant advantage in quality grade, partially offsetting the value in the feedlot. “However, the net advantage favored the Hereford-sired cattle by nearly $78 per head for the entire production cycle,” Ward said.

Ward explained heterosis is the superiority of the crossbreed progeny compared to the average of the parent breeds. Maternal heterosis is the increase in calf performance due to the maternal effect of the crossbred cow.

All results of this study are based on limited numbers from year one. To have more numbers for the project in year two and three, Lacey Livestock increased the number of cows to 600 for the remainder of the study. The backgrounding, feedlot and carcass trial will be repeated in 2008 and 2009.

The effect of maternal heterosis will be determined by tracking productivity of the replacement heifers that were retained and identified to a sire. The objective is to attempt to determine lifetime productivity and profitability differences between sire groups.

For a complete report, “Impacts of Crossbreeding on Profitability in Vertically Coordinated Beef Industry Marketing Systems,” follow this link (PDF format), or contact David Mehlhaff, AHA director of communications, at [email protected].

I bet the AAA has a dozen research studies in their back pocket to refute these claims. :lol: :lol:

Thanks dun.

Were the BW's of the calves included in the report?

I would have assumed an angus based cow crossed with a herford would do better than a straight angus breeding. The study would have made more sense if they also did a hereford cow crossed with an angus and a straight hereford breeding. All the study shows me is that a crossbred calf does better than a straight bred calf......... which isn't exactly groundbreaking news.

dun":1scggzy7 said:
Study shows Hereford heterosis advantage (Wednesday, September 26, 2007)

Preliminary research shows a $78 advantage for Hereford-sired calves compared to Angus-sired calves in a real-world commercial setting.

The American Hereford Association (AHA) announced the first-year results of a heterosis study being conducted in cooperation with California State University, Chico; Lacey Livestock; Harris Feeding Co.; and Harris Ranch Beef Co. The objective of the research project was to conduct a controlled crossbreeding system, comparing progeny sired by Hereford and Angus bulls, under commercial conditions, emphasizing economic differences at the ranch, feedlot and packing plant.

Ten Hereford bulls selected for specific expected progeny differences (EPDs) were matched with 10 Angus bulls of comparable genetics. Bulls were randomly mated to 400 mature Angus-based cows. All calves were identified with electronic identification (EID) tags and DNA samples were taken to determine parentage. All cattle had equal access to comparable feed resources and management in extensive, relatively harsh environments.

The differences in weaning performance, feedlot performance, carcass value and overall profitability were measured on the Angus- and Hereford-sired calves. According to Jack Ward, AHA chief operating officer and director of breed improvement, “Preliminary data suggests a significant economic advantage of $86 per head in the feedlot phase for the Hereford-sired calves.

“Primary differences were gain, feed efficiency, morbidity and mortality, resulting in a lower cost of gain, $11.94 per hundredweight (cwt.); which equates to a $7.32 per cwt. difference when mortality of the Angus-sired steers was excluded,” Ward said. He added that the Angus-sired group had a significant advantage in quality grade, partially offsetting the value in the feedlot. “However, the net advantage favored the Hereford-sired cattle by nearly $78 per head for the entire production cycle,” Ward said.

Ward explained heterosis is the superiority of the crossbreed progeny compared to the average of the parent breeds. Maternal heterosis is the increase in calf performance due to the maternal effect of the crossbred cow.

All results of this study are based on limited numbers from year one. To have more numbers for the project in year two and three, Lacey Livestock increased the number of cows to 600 for the remainder of the study. The backgrounding, feedlot and carcass trial will be repeated in 2008 and 2009.

The effect of maternal heterosis will be determined by tracking productivity of the replacement heifers that were retained and identified to a sire. The objective is to attempt to determine lifetime productivity and profitability differences between sire groups.

For a complete report, “Impacts of Crossbreeding on Profitability in Vertically Coordinated Beef Industry Marketing Systems,” follow this link (PDF format), or contact David Mehlhaff, AHA director of communications, at [email protected].

Is this available online, Dun? I'd like to follow the link to the complete report. I think I see a few holes, but good for the Hereford Assn. The entire industry can benefit from studies like this one.

smuff76":14y1dpwj said:
I would have assumed an angus based cow crossed with a herford would do better than a straight angus breeding. The study would have made more sense if they also did a hereford cow crossed with an angus and a straight hereford breeding. All the study shows me is that a crossbred calf does better than a straight bred calf......... which isn't exactly groundbreaking news.

I was thinking the same thing. Seems to me the bulls should have been crossed with a third breed to get a true measure of heterosis.

VanC":1dsubb7n said:
smuff76":1dsubb7n said:

I was thinking the same thing. Seems to me the bulls should have been crossed with a third breed to get a true measure of heterosis.

But angus is promoting that you can get enough heterosis by straight breeding angus. :lol:

The profit difference here is nothing to sneeze at either. ;-)

MikeC":mjnp1cis said:
VanC":mjnp1cis said:
smuff76":mjnp1cis said:

But angus is promoting that you can get enough heterosis by straight breeding angus. :lol:

Exactly, over a hundred calf pen that check would be $7800 and I suspect that their F1 baldie sisters would similarly outperform those straight Angus heifers back home on the farm over the life of their careers. While I am partial too Herefords, I highly suspect that AngusXCharolais, AngusXGelbvieh, AngusXLimousin, AngusXSalers, AngusXSimmental, or AngusXMaine calves would have ALSO beaten straight Angus calves in a similar test. Nobody wants to hear it; but crossbreeding (if done right) pays.

This study makes it sound so good making extra money on them steers and all. Then what are you supposed to do with all them black baldy females? It doesn't even mention that. :roll: :D :p

MikeC":13w0zgmy said:
VanC":13w0zgmy said:
smuff76":13w0zgmy said:

Yeah, I can see the point of it now. I read somewhere that 60% of the U.S. cowherd is Angus or Angus cross. If those folks want to take advantage of heterosis then they'll need to use non-Angus bulls. Looks like a good way to get people to use Hereford bulls to me.

Ned Jr.":1su5u2ym said:
This study makes it sound so good making extra money on them steers and all. Then what are you supposed to do with all them black baldy females? It doesn't even mention that. :roll: :D :p

Sell them or use them. Black baldies have been regarded as one the the best females around for many, many years.

Well, at least this is more scientific than the load of BS in the last Angus Journal, the "10 reasons" article.

What a load of bunk!

mtnman

While I am partial too Herefords, I highly suspect that AngusXCharolais, AngusXGelbvieh, AngusXLimousin, AngusXSalers, AngusXSimmental, or AngusXMaine calves would have ALSO beaten straight Angus calves in a similar test. Nobody wants to hear it; but crossbreeding (if done right) pays.

Thats exactly right. AS they say.. third time is a charm.

In Wed feeder sale, big run of calves. A few groups of herefords
sold. 500 weight herefords were fully 100 $ less per head. Than the black angus, reds and Char calves. 130's compared to 100-110.

I don't bash herfords just can't see the price difference. :?:

Why? that big a spread?

mtnman":20ovfl59 said:
Well, at least this is more scientific than the load of BS in the last Angus Journal, the "10 reasons" article.

What a load of bunk!

mtnman

Hey Mtnman, missed your candor, sarcasm and cyncism.

Where ya been

I am skeptical of this sentence:

"Ten Hereford bulls selected for specific expected progeny differences (EPDs) were matched with 10 Angus bulls of comparable genetics."

I would be interested in the performance of purebred herefords compared to purebred Angus in the various phases of the test.

mnmtranching":2au7mnu5 said:
In Wed feeder sale, big run of calves. A few groups of herefords
sold. 500 weight herefords were fully 100 $ less per head. Than the black angus, reds and Char calves. 130's compared to 100-110.

I don't bash herfords just can't see the price difference. :?:

Why? that big a spread?

Same reason they discount spotted cattle, longhorn cattle, rat tails, brahman. Because they can. If you look at the branded beef programs, the majority have the word "angus" in their name. Plus the fast food restaurants advertise "angus" burgers. Right or wrong, the packer has more marketing opportunities for black cattle than any other "type".