Hereford Photos Posted for Greenwillow

Help Support CattleToday:

jhambley

Reaction score
thomasPage1.jpg

thomasPage2.jpg

those are some goodlooking show heifers.you cant beat a good polled hereford heifer.

Thanks. I knew I could count on bigbull to have a soft spot for some Herefords! :D The older, thicker heifer outweighed the younger by about 400# at the time of the photos. I'm thinking the younger is going to be a little framier when all is said and done. The older was only about a week from calving at that time. The older, as mentioned on another thread, was sired by my first Feltons influenced bull, FGR Nevin Hudson N4. The younger was sired by Day Rupert Tone 092, a line-bred Hazlett bull from Richard Day. The older, S3 weaned 205 day 550# on grass and milk in a drought year for this area, and was hauled to different pasture three times during that 205 days. I think the younger was adjusted to 525# at 205, would have to check.

ill never loose my soft spot for horned or polled herefords.after all i used to breed reg polled herefords years ago.

Keren":2sb1maaz said:
What was the age difference between the two?

S3 is an April 6, 2006 heifer, and T1 is a January 19, 2007 heifer. That is about 9 or 10 months between them I believe. T1 was born literally on a sheet of ice. We had an ice storm a day or two before she was born, and another the day after she was born. S3 was also heavier at a year than T1, but her dam is a substantially bigger-bodied cow. The corelation between birthweight and weaning and yearling weight usually bears out, and S3 weighed 90# at birth, T1 was 75#. The dam of T1 never varied more than a pound from 75# until this year, when she gave us a 69# heifer. On the other hand, S3 was the lightest calf her dam has ever had.

bigbull338":1bcx7wpd said:
ill never loose my soft spot for horned or polled herefords.after all i used to breed reg polled herefords years ago.

Those Beefmasters you've got now are what they are partly because of that good Hereford influence. :banana:

We are thinking of adding a good Polled Hereford bull to our Angus operation for some good black hereford crosses.

Any thoughts on a good selection?...and why?

All good looking heifers. How soon is S3 going to drop a calf? Is T1 bred?

Preston, a good Hereford on your Angus will produce some highly marketable black baldies.

preston39":24x7s3vz said:
We are thinking of adding a good Polled Hereford bull to our Angus operation for some good black hereford crosses.

Any thoughts on a good selection?...and why?

Can you give us more information about your Angus cows? Do they milk so high that you are having thin or open cows? Do you need to keep your milking ability at you current level? Knowing what your needs and goals are would help to make a recommendation about sire selection. For example P606 is a high milking Hereford bull that should not be used on heifers. His milk EPD would be similar to a 21 EPD in the Angus breed. A EPD of 21 in a purebred Angus herd is probally too high for most farms in Kentucky. Jack Ward recommended that Hereford producers in Kentucky keep the milk EPD around 15 if they were selling to farmers that had Angus based cows. If you have a straight Hereford herd a milk EPD around 20 to 25 would be about the highest I would recommend in Kentucky, and that may be too high unless you have very good forage.

Hope this helps , and if you need more information I will try to supply it.

Chris H":1gasaj4w said:
All good looking heifers. How soon is S3 going to drop a calf? Is T1 bred?

Preston, a good Hereford on your Angus will produce some highly marketable black baldies.

Those pics are early March pics. S3 dropped a 77# bull calf March 14, and is doing a great job with him. She adjusted quite well to quitting show feed and going to pasture cold turkey. T1 is now bred-if she stuck, and I have no reason to believe she didn't.

My #1 recommendation for Preston is a good Hazlett bloodline bull from Richard Day. Such was the sire of T1. My personal second choice would be some Feltons influence via MSU Hudson 19H; the sire of S3 is a grandson of 19H.

Latest posts