Hereford or Brahman?

Help Support CattleToday:

Thank you all for the help. Can a Braford, even though it's a cross, be registered?
Braford is not a cross. it is its own breed. Own registry. Own genetics. They were developed I guess 80 or so years ago , a composite breed that has 5/8ths Hereford and 3/8ths Brahma blood. But a 1/2 Herf 1/2 Brah heifer/cow is worth as much or more than a registered Braford. People buy them to breed to Angus bulls, and you just can not come up with a better 3rd cross for them.

Braford is not a cross. it is its own breed. Own registry. Own genetics. They were developed I guess 80 or so years ago , a composite breed that has 5/8ths Hereford and 3/8ths Brahma blood. But a 1/2 Herf 1/2 Brah heifer/cow is worth as much or more than a registered Braford. People buy them to breed to Angus bulls, and you just can not come up with a better 3rd cross for them.
Wow! So, you're saying, a 1/2 Hereford and 1/2 Brahman heifer, sells at a higher price than a Braford?

Wow! So, you're saying, a 1/2 Hereford and 1/2 Brahman heifer, sells at a higher price than a Braford?
Yes. Hereford x Brahma has the highest heterosis of any 2 breeds you can cross. Braford has a lot too, just not quite what the f1 cross does. The breed with the least common genetics, Angus...(none shared between angus and Brahma and almost zero between angus and Hereford) is the best choice to breed those Br x Herf too. You can get some goodhereford cows for almost half what a Brahma would cost, and buy a good Brahma bull, and you will make more than you can on pure hereford or pure brahma, I bought 80 Brhmas for a client that were all heavy bred to a hereford. They calved January and 1st of February. 58 heifers and 22 bulls. A man came Saturday and bought every heifer to be picked up in July. Paid him half Saturday and the rest due when he picks them up.

Yes. Hereford x Brahma has the highest heterosis of any 2 breeds you can cross. Braford has a lot too, just not quite what the f1 cross does. The breed with the least common genetics, Angus...(none shared between angus and Brahma and almost zero between angus and Hereford) is the best choice to breed those Br x Herf too. You can get some goodhereford cows for almost half what a Brahma would cost, and buy a good Brahma bull, and you will make more than you can on pure hereford or pure brahma, I bought 80 Brhmas for a client that were all heavy bred to a hereford. They calved January and 1st of February. 58 heifers and 22 bulls. A man came Saturday and bought every heifer to be picked up in July. Paid him half Saturday and the rest due when he picks them up.
What did he offer? By my count, low-ball on that deal is around 50K, and that's the stated low-ball.

At the 1k each, that's 80k for the lot. At the stated half paid, that's 52k which came close to my lowest lowball number. Either way, damn good bit of business. My only issue with the brafords and the F1s is that they mature too heavy for my taste.
He didn't sell the bull calves (which we made steers Monday) but he will sell them in 6 mos, same time they get the heifers. I told that old boy he'd like them when he saw them, and might get that Charolais/Chianina/ Brahma out of his mind. He did say he was gonna breed 20 to hereford but gonna use Black Hereford for AI. Those heifers sell a little higher than the red and brindle, but the b & w steers will bring what a Brangus will.

He didn't sell the bull calves (which we made steers Monday) but he will sell them in 6 mos, same time they get the heifers. I told that old boy he'd like them when he saw them, and might get that Charolais/Chianina/ Brahma out of his mind. He did say he was gonna breed 20 to hereford but gonna use Black Hereford for AI. Those heifers sell a little higher than the red and brindle, but the b & w steers will bring what a Brangus will.
I see.

Hmm… this is interesting. Didn't know a cross could sell for more than a nice pure bred. So say I breed these crosses, with them, what breed would I breed them to?
Also, I could get registered Herefords heifers and a Registered Brahman bull, correct?

Hmm… this is interesting. Didn't know a cross could sell for more than a nice pure bred. So say I breed these crosses, with them, what breed would I breed them to?
Also, I could get registered Herefords heifers and a Registered Brahman bull, correct?
Best cross on those Br x Herf cows is an Angus bull. You don;t necessarily have to use registered Herfords,, just pure bred Hereford.

May not want to breed Hereford heifers to Brahman bulls, those cross calves can be huge at birth. Maybe use a easy calving Brahman bull over Hereford cows.
Probably be better to have a Hereford bull with Brahman cows. In that particular cross, Brahman cows are less likely to have trouble calving.

Last edited:
May not want to breed Hereford heifers to Brahman bulls, those cross calves can be huge at birth. Maybe use a easy calving Brahman bull in Hereford cows.
Probably be better to have a Hereford bull with Brahman cows. In that particular cross, Brahman cows are less likely to have trouble calving.
Okay, I was kinda wondering bout that, thank you.

Best cross on those Br x Herf cows is an Angus bull. You don;t necessarily have to use registered Herfords,, just pure bred Hereford.
Okay! Thank you.

I'm new to all this, so thank you for your patience and help. I did check the cattle market in my area and it's not very high right now, probably would be a better time to look into getting a bull or heifer.

Okay! Thank you.

I'm new to all this, so thank you for your patience and help. I did check the cattle market in my area and it's not very high right now, probably would be a better time to look into getting a bull or heifer.
Just so you know... there are people on this forum that promote breeds and you might want to think long and hard before letting them do your thinking for you.

Especially (2?) adults tag teaming a young kid that is just beginning to have their own opinions.

Just so you know... there are people on this forum that promote breeds and you might want to think long and hard before letting them do your thinking for you.

Especially (2?) adults tag teaming a young kid that is just beginning to have their own opinions.
Thank you, I will. I do plan to run Herefords and Brahmans, I just don't know what would be best to start with

Thank you, I will. I do plan to run Herefords and Brahmans, I just don't know what would be best to start with
I don't know where you live in Arkansas... but my first real acreage was in NW AR and I had a neighbor that lost a great Brahman bull during a cold snap. Brahma don't tolerate cold well.

Personally, I'd suggest sticking to one breed for a couple of years and learn everything you can from them before stepping out into other breeds. Especially if you are working with registered stock. You don't see many registered stock sources that maintain two breeds. I have seen them do some crossbreeding as a promotional tool to show how their breed can be used in crossbreeding, but they usually stick with a single breed and become expert in that breed.

Latest posts