Hereford bull for Red Angus heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Cruising round semen catalogs and really liked the look of Victor 719T, and his numbers look go too. Any feedback on him ?- positive or negative .
Thanks

goddy":2jgqxfva said:
Cruising round semen catalogs and really liked the look of Victor 719T, and his numbers look go too. Any feedback on him ?- positive or negative .
Thanks
Just did a search and I have more comments on the bull than I know what to do with :)

goddy":480huac7 said:
goddy":480huac7 said:
Thanks
Just did a search and I have more comments on the bull than I know what to do with :)

The owner of 719 used to be a member his handle was cowtex, the bad news is he hasn't logged on since March 2013. But if you search his post he may have owners perspective on 719.

Alan":24xdp60i said:
goddy":24xdp60i said:
goddy":24xdp60i said:
Thanks

The owner of 719 used to be a member his handle was cowtex, the bad news is he hasn't logged on since March 2013. But if you search his post he may have owners perspective on 719.

Thanks for that info

goddy":y7zsw5qq said:
Thanks

So take this for what it's worth but I researched 719T this spring because a neighbor still had some semen on him that he was no longer going to use and asked if we wanted it. Same breeder had AI'd black cows to 719T and Revolution 4R the same summer and told me they liked the Revolution calves a lot better than the 719T ones. So I asked another Hereford breeder that I find very knowledgable and respect who used 719T and he didn't have very kind things to say about that bull and this is even editing some of the choice words he used in the response he gave me:

the handful of daughters I kept are ok if out of a good enough cow, carcass sucks which is being born out by how his numbers have fallen like a stone for it, udders are nice, BW is real, but no real top in the cattle and lowest weaning ratio sire each year I used him (by 50 lbs lighter than the next lightest sire ratio last year) for the most part the calves out of him here were the kind I was plumb embarrassed for anyone to see..

at the end of the day wished I never ever bought semen on him, a total waste of a bunch of matings, unless out of what some refer to as power cows they all are akin to sorry feeder type cattle.

he's the sorryiest f*ng AI sire I've used in a long time............................

I personally don't think you will get nice big topped calves from a low birth weight bull. An average bull yes but a lite birthweight you are sacrificing something to achieve this.

So why doest everyone breed for middle of the road and stop believing in all the smoke and mirror stuff. I guess I will keep doing my own thing. Keep your so called sleep all night bulls I have no use for funnel butted, narrow gutted,

Use your eyes and look around. Plenty of bulls around to use that are not cow killers and will help u out.

SPH":2b8dz7er said:
the handful of daughters I kept are ok if out of a good enough cow, carcass sucks which is being born out by how his numbers have fallen like a stone for it, udders are nice, BW is real, but no real top in the cattle and lowest weaning ratio sire each year I used him (by 50 lbs lighter than the next lightest sire ratio last year) for the most part the calves out of him here were the kind I was plumb embarrassed for anyone to see..

at the end of the day wished I never ever bought semen on him, a total waste of a bunch of matings, unless out of what some refer to as power cows they all are akin to sorry feeder type cattle.

he's the sorryiest f*ng AI sire I've used in a long time............................

So 719T produces moderate efficient replacements, but not good terminal cattle?

Stocker Steve":laa72zaf said:
SPH":laa72zaf said:

So 719T produces moderate efficient replacements, but not good terminal cattle?

Based on what that Hereford breeder told me from his use of 719T that would seem to be the case and I have high respect for that guy's opinion as he's been around the breed for a long time and runs a good program. That was enough for us to not consider using him, when the commercial breeder just down the road was using him AI then stopped using him and offered to cut us a deal on the semen they had left that probably is another sign that they must not have liked the result they got either. They used Revolution 4R the same year they used 719T and they weren't offering us their Revolution semen so draw your own conclusions which bull they apparently liked better...

I'm planning on doing the same thing. I plan on using 3027 semen. He is horned but on purebred Red Angus they should still be polled. I've talked to several who have used him a bunch and everyone says he is the "real deal". He tends to outbreed himself and his daughters are great cows. I considered some of the other choices but didn't feel there was anything that compared that was as proven. He is one of the top selling Hereford AI sires for a reason.

Latest posts