Here goes Nothing! Building Cattle Handling Area

Help Support CattleToday:

artesianspringsfarm

Reaction score
Alright folks, I have enjoyed reading everyone else's info and experience in their own cattle handling facilities. Here goes ours. This is ground zero. Did some staking and math today to get ready! I plan to post progress on here, good or bad.

DSCF6289_zps5210661c.jpg

DSCF6291_zpsf2663cc9.jpg

I look forward to it To. BTW if its a mud hole before you build it will be a bigger mudhole after you build it.

yes sir! Some leveling and gravel are in order. It's actually not naturally muddy though. Had some water issues this spring that made our water area drain right where cows were congregating and walking. They won't be there anymore.

M5farm":1x2mkm4z said:
I look forward to it To. BTW if its a mud hole before you build it will be a bigger mudhole after you build it.
I know that's right M5!!
My father, many years ago, built a 40 X 60 pole barn and calf & loading pen beside it--all down in a hole. When it rains, it's all a quagmire and I'd have to pull the loft out to be able to put enough fill in that barn to get any real use out of it. The pe is even worse if you leave cattle in it more than a few hours--it's why I built a new pen elsewhere. I got tired of wading around in the mud.

I put fabric under the pea gravel. Don't use big gravel. They will move better if the gravel is not hurting their feet.

BTW: I did not like that Tarter Chute. I sold it and replaced it with a Priefert SO4.

ifbzwm.jpg

et7jo4.jpg

folumt.jpg

eg4yzb.jpg

14sf8xx.jpg

A crowding pen is very useful. With the sides boarded and a roof at one end, it is ideal for putting a cow up that needs special attention. The roof gives them shade and is absolutely necessary in the intense heat of summer. I have a cow waiting to calf that can walk in and out from under the roof of the crowding pen. She can go out into the holding area and get grass. Then she can come into the crowding pen and get out of the sun. I have been under there myself, it is quite cool. Here is a cow that calved in March. She and her calf are under the roof part of the holding pen. The walls protect the calf from fridgid winds. The other advantage is that a cow that is held in the crowding pen, can be easily moved into the sweep and then chuted.
2hs6v6h.jpg

My Dad built a small run in shed for a few animals when I was young. It set in a small depression. Later we added another section to the barn for more animals. Still later I wanted to dairy so we converted it to stantion barn. We tried to move enough dirt to keep the water from running into the barn. Never did happen. One night after a very hard rain, I checked to see that the barn was full of water, and the bedding was floating. Let the cows out, water went down, completely swept it out and started back with new bedding and feed. It's up to you, but I'd find a differnt spot.

As others have suggested make it so it isn;t a wallow when it's wet. I would build it up around the outside about 6 inches or so and extend that elevation for 10 feet or so of slope. I used an old dam from a dry pond to build our area up, on one side it drops about 3 feet fairly sharp just outside part of the alley/sweep.

artesianspringsfarm":ycz7nrm4 said:
Thanks Ron. That looks about 12x60ish?
Welcome. Yes, about exactly that.

Notice at the back of the crowding pen that I can
A. Bring cattle in from the holding pen off to the right or
B. Bring them in from other hub areas on the left.

artesianspringsfarm":xbyigr99 said:
What's your water source for the tub?

I have city water to my shop which is only 50 feet behind where I am taking the picture. I just drag a hose over there and fill it. In the pasture near the shop, I have city water going to a Ritchie Double basin heated automatic waterer. Despite what I have read on here about cattle preferring pond water even when it is contaminated, I have noticed with the drought that my cattle come to the front of the operation to water in the cool city water. Now, who knows what is in a cow's head. They may be coming to see me. :D

Two 20x30 holding pens are much better than one big one. Ron that's a real nice set up. How high is the roof where the cow is standing? Looks like a headache to me.

highgrit":1km2vpob said:
Two 20x30 holding pens are much better than one big one. Ron that's a real nice set up. How high is the roof where the cow is standing? Looks like a headache to me.

You nailed that one. But here is a feature about it that I love. When you shut that gate behind a cow, she is totally blocked on all sides and over head. We get some high winds on my ridge. You should see how I fastened those rafters down. Each one has a bracket on each end. I understand your point on the two pens. In have three separate pens leading in from the left that I can break down the groups in.

Latest posts