Help for New Farmers

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to find local information for helping start a small cattle farm. Are there specific places the federal or state (even local) governments provide free information to someone looking to start a small farm ? Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Bo

NorthAlasmalls":hbsfe2w8 said:
Does anyone know where to find local information for helping start a small cattle farm. Are there specific places the federal or state (even local) governments provide free information to someone looking to start a small farm ? Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Bo

The best advice I can give you is do it with your cash. Start, and build slowly. I started with bottle calves, and saved enough to buy my first bred cow 5 years ago. I now only have 15 cows, but they are paid for, and I don't owe anyone. It is a slow process, but it is what works for me.

Yes, I dont want any loan information and that kind of stuff...I am looking to start out with mabe a 3 fer 1 deal...was looking for more information on local breeders, some local contacts etc. I just moved back home a year or so ago after the military and was gone for a long time...so most of the people I knew who were in the cattle farming are longer around...just have no clue where to start ! :)

Thanks,
Bo

Not knowing where you are so this may not apply. In the US there is plenty of USDA soil conservation offices scattered around and also University Extension service offices. One of those can help. Most of them are staffed by pretty sharp people that really want to help. Then there are the ones that are staffed by schmucks. If you're in Canada or Australia or some third world country I don;t know if the answer applies

First of all, Thank you for serving! Second of all, still don;t know where you are. The Extension and USD have tons of information, there are some programs that will help defray some of the costs of a start up operation. But you don;t have to participate if you don;t want to.

:welcome: This is a good place to start. We have a pretty good cross section of the cattle industry here on this board and people are pretty quick to help. Give us your location and I'd bet someone will know where to point you for local help.

NorthAlasmalls":28ru3z37 said:
North Alabama...between Decatur and Moulton :) sorry...should have posted that in original !

thanks,
Bo
Then you should have a NRCS office or an Extension Office available. Our local office puts on a "new farmer" workshop as well as a grazing school once a year. It's a good way to catch up on what has changed since last you messed with cows and to be exposed to others that are in the same boat as you are
To prevent people from bugging you in the future about where you are you can change your pprofile and include it there

:welcome: And thanks for serving in our military! Dun gave you some great advice on how to get started. I think you will find a wealth of information on here, that will give you many ideas, and assistance of what you are trying to do. Good luck.

NorthAlasmalls":2rl3gril said:
Pdicey is right...got quoted 1000.00 for a couple of bottle calves
sounds like you need to err on the side of caution... your showing to much green and their gonna take advantage of it... do all the research you can, and hang out at moulton stockyard. if nothing else for the food :cowboy:

Thanks Alacowman...I will do both, only problem is the sell is usually Wednesday there I think, and I work so kinda hard...I want to visit when there is a sell going on and kinda see how it goes...