Help! Bull Breeding Heifers w/ Same Father.

Help Support CattleToday:

VtMapleGal

Reaction score
I have a bull which i thought was banded and a steer (was banded before i bought him, but they missed a testicle). He is almost a year old. He has bred 3 heifers that are about the same age as him. My concern is they have the same father as him.... am I going to have messed up calfs? Is there any way to abort the calfs? I have not preg checked them yet, it was only 2 weeks ago that he bred them, but im a worry wart....

You can abort them with a shot of prostaglandin - lutalyse, estrumate, prostamate, etc. Breeding 1/2 brothers and 1/2 sisters is not terribly uncommon though so if you kept them till they calved it's not something to freak out about especially if the calves are going to become slaughter beef.

angus9259":70ruqd5q said:
You can abort them with a shot of prostaglandin - lutalyse, estrumate, prostamate, etc. Breeding 1/2 brothers and 1/2 sisters is not terribly uncommon though so if you kept them till they calved it's not something to freak out about especially if the calves are going to become slaughter beef.

right on about the aborting drugs. safe and effective.

were the heifers big enough to breed?
are they bred to calve in concert with your managment goals?
What are your breeding plans for the heifers?
these would be the criteria for me as to decision making.
generally if the bull was not good enough to be a bull and they are only a couple of weeks bred I would abort and then breed the way I want them bred to the best bull I could afford.

The heifers are almost a year, and the "bull" is actually very nice. I really like him, and he has a superb temperment. He is a steer because my barn owner doesnt want a bull, so I was going to A.I everyone, but i have not had luck with it in the past. My plan for the calfs is just to slaughter them, i dont need any more breeding animals...

To abort you must wait about 16-20 days then give 1.5 to 2 cc postaglandlin in the muscle check with vet to be sure.If just using for comercial cattle and want them bred should be just fine to leave them alone and calve them out one cross no big deal but 2 or more might give trouble.good luck!

If the heifers are less than a year old, I would probably abort and start over. In most circumstances that's pretty young to calve. Even if they get the calf out, they may struggle to keep up their growth, milk, and get re-bred.

the inbreeding here isnt the problem..the problem is being bred too young..theyll be calfing before i would have even turned em out..are ya sure theyre prego?? and surely the bull has been removed from them right?

I had a yearling heffer only twelve month get in with the bull vet said to give her lutalase day ten to twelve after. I did not see heat signs but maybe because she is not with any others. Should I have seen heat in her after the shot? Wait now to see if she gets in heat again or should I do another shot.

I am all for having heifers to calve on her second birthday but your heifers are too young and to light in weight probably. I would suggest a "do over" and abort. Rebreed the heifers when they weigh ~750 lbs.

simon":164sto8r said:
I had a yearling heffer only twelve month get in with the bull vet said to give her lutalase day ten to twelve after. I did not see heat signs but maybe because she is not with any others. Should I have seen heat in her after the shot? Wait now to see if she gets in heat again or should I do another shot.

Was she ever in heat? Was she ever bred? Has she ever been in heat? A shot of lut won't bring her into heat if she's never been in heat and a second one will do even less.

My biggest worry- and decision maker on whether I gave a shot of Lutalyse- would be on what type BW the "bull" had and throws....I've bred lots of heifers that were under 750 lbs- and some that were barely a year old with no problems because they were bred to bulls with a history of throwing Low BW calves....
I'm also purposely breeding some half brothers to half sisters- and father to daughters- so that wouldn't worry me if the heifers and the "bull" have qualities you like and want to replicate...

angus9259":93oy903p said:
simon":93oy903p said:

Was she ever in heat? Was she ever bred? Has she ever been in heat? A shot of lut won't bring her into heat if she's never been in heat and a second one will do even less.

Yes she got bred by the bull, I gave shot of lut 5ml. at 11 days after. Should the shot have made her show a heat? I did not see one after the shot. Vet is away Im wondering if I should give her another.

at the risk of bein a d--k here..

are we just shootin these animals up with chemicals w/o a good idea of whats goin on??

dont know if theyre in heat..maybe ill give another shot...wtf..i think thy were bred

is it any wonder why i wont buy any meat from the store. is this mentality for the meat thats in our food supply...

sorry..just had to git that out there...

Dieselbeef if your talking to me, Im not shooting stuff up. A year old heffer got accidentally bred. Yes she was in heat, yes I called the vet, he told me to give her 5 ml lutalyse between days 10 and twelve after her being bred by the bull. I did it on day eleven. Ive got ONE question and that is, should the shot have made her come into heat? I worry that the shot did not work and the vet is away for two weeks. I was hoping the experienced breeders here could help.
Sorry to the original poster for hi-jacking the thread.

no offense meant..just sayin ya gotta know bout it not guess about it..

are ya sure the bull bred her...sure..sure...

gary

dieselbeef":2ri5ha5y said:
no offense meant..just sayin ya gotta know bout it not guess about it..

are ya sure the bull bred her...sure..sure...

gary

I agree. just because you see a heifer stand for a bull, doesn't mean she was ovulating and certainly doesn't mean she's bred. if you wait 30 days and draw blood you can find out if she's pregnant at all . . . actually, by now all you'll have to do is wait 15 days. then you'll know what you have to do instead of guessing.

simon":2len2jdv said:
Dieselbeef if your talking to me, Im not shooting stuff up. A year old heffer got accidentally bred. Yes she was in heat, yes I called the vet, he told me to give her 5 ml lutalyse between days 10 and twelve after her being bred by the bull. I did it on day eleven. Ive got ONE question and that is, should the shot have made her come into heat? I worry that the shot did not work and the vet is away for two weeks. I was hoping the experienced breeders here could help.
Sorry to the original poster for hi-jacking the thread.

OK I got hold of a vet and got an answer. She was in heat and got bred (only 12 months old) I gave her the 5ml lutalyse on day 11 (told by vet to do it between days 10 and 12) The vet said I would not see a heat as a result of the Lut shot, and as it will have disrupted her normal cycle, to watch for another 1 1/2-2 wks (it is now 3 wks since she got served) and can repeat the shot if I dont see a heat. The Lut. can be used effectively up to 70 days since breeding, is what she told me. If there was a chance the needle went only the fat cover, not into the muscle, it would not be effective.

My god it's like you people don't have a clue.

Probably the most influential Angus bull of the last 3 decades was the result of a half bro - half sister mating (same sire).

N Bar Emulation EXT. Has probably sired multiple tens of thousands of calves.

That doesn't have much to do with it to me WichitaLineMan.

At 12 months old if she rears a calf she will not grow to her full potential. Too much taken out of her too young. JMHO.

Latest posts