Help! Bull Breeding Heifers w/ Same Father.

Help Support CattleToday:

When they are too far along for just lute to work, lute and dex will cause her to abort

simon":2chomq37 said:
OK I got hold of a vet and got an answer. She was in heat and got bred (only 12 months old) I gave her the 5ml lutalyse on day 11 (told by vet to do it between days 10 and 12) The vet said I would not see a heat as a result of the Lut shot, and as it will have disrupted her normal cycle, to watch for another 1 1/2-2 wks (it is now 3 wks since she got served) and can repeat the shot if I dont see a heat. The Lut. can be used effectively up to 70 days since breeding, is what she told me. If there was a chance the needle went only the fat cover, not into the muscle, it would not be effective.

. . . or . . . you could wait one more week, draw some blood, pay $2.50 and have someone tell you if she's actually pregnant.

angus9259":3o1b9b0v said:
simon":3o1b9b0v said:
OK I got hold of a vet and got an answer. She was in heat and got bred (only 12 months old) I gave her the 5ml lutalyse on day 11 (told by vet to do it between days 10 and 12) The vet said I would not see a heat as a result of the Lut shot, and as it will have disrupted her normal cycle, to watch for another 1 1/2-2 wks (it is now 3 wks since she got served) and can repeat the shot if I dont see a heat. The Lut. can be used effectively up to 70 days since breeding, is what she told me. If there was a chance the needle went only the fat cover, not into the muscle, it would not be effective.

. . . or . . . you could wait one more week, draw some blood, pay $2.50 and have someone tell you if she's actually pregnant.

ummm yeah...kinda the drift of my post also...just cuz the bull got on her dont mean he did his job....

im over this mess

gary

Suzie Q":wmkx5ejv said:
That doesn't have much to do with it to me WichitaLineMan.

At 12 months old if she rears a calf she will not grow to her full potential. Too much taken out of her too young. JMHO.
Suzie, at what age do you breed your heifers?
Valerie

vclavin":16v53san said:
Suzie Q":16v53san said:
That doesn't have much to do with it to me WichitaLineMan.

At 12 months old if she rears a calf she will not grow to her full potential. Too much taken out of her too young. JMHO.
Suzie, at what age do you breed your heifers?
Valerie

Older than that. At 12 month to me they just look like babies. That was with a droughtmaster and a charbray bull.

The bazadais are supposed to sexually mature quicker and I have seen a photo of a 2 year old heifer with a calf and both quite fat, but I am guessing they were on grain and fed. Ours are not.

Our youngest Bazadais cross would now be just over 12 months old and still looks like a baby to me and is separated from the bull. (At the moment her dad but bulls will be swapped soon).

WichitaLineMan":ud2ad5h7 said:
My god it's like you people don't have a clue.

Probably the most influential Angus bull of the last 3 decades was the result of a half bro - half sister mating (same sire).

N Bar Emulation EXT. Has probably sired multiple tens of thousands of calves.
My God...would that be the exception or the rule??? :dunce:

if the calf has been banded & they missed one nut, the missed nut is usually not able to produce viable sperm b/c of the heat next to the calf's belly. makes them real horny but unable to breed. see if the heifers don't come back in heat.years ago they recomended guys could do that with both nuts. just push the nuts up & put a band on the sack, but feed lot operators did not like them b/c of all the riding

angus9259":2d6ob75m said:
simon":2d6ob75m said:

so . . . one more week has gone by . . . are they pregnant?

angus9259":2bpbgki1 said:

. . . or . . . you could just give her the shot of lute and dex. Take the guess work out and be done with it.

LOL, I'm considering keeping a bull calf back this year to breed to a couple of heifers that are his half siblings. Their sire was calving ease. With the prices now, it might be a better idea because they might be better when I sell him after he breeds them.

We do it regularly. Have calves here from close breeding and no problems. Matter of fact, we like them better. If we were to read back more than 50 years the best herds were linebred or inbred. Modern science implies human laws on animal genetics. Bad mix.

Ebenezer said:
We do it regularly. Have calves here from close breeding and no problems. Matter of fact, we like them better. If we were to read back more than 50 years the best herds were linebred or inbred. Modern science implies human laws on animal genetics. Bad mix.[/quote]
:nod:

Latest posts