Heifer cow bull oh my

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus

Reaction score
Ok so one of my cows had a calf may 3 that fell in the pond and, died i went to the dairy and got a jersey bull (now a steer) and she took it i only ,had to show it where the milk was while she was eating...

So took the pair and my heifer to a neighbor which had a bull in his BIG corral (about 3 acres). 3 weeks after the cow calved..........2 months later. Which was yesterday my heifer was riding my cow so i thought my cow was in heat but oh no the bull came over and got the job done twice with the heifer...

So my cow when i bought her back in october of 2009 for 600$ didnt have her calf untile may 3, now the calf before that was in december of 2008, so it took 8 months to breed back from the 2008 calf if the rancher didnt tell a tale.. I dont think my cow has even cycled again.

Ok two questions can a cow keep making milk if you dont let her dry up and if so would it be worth it to keep the cow and when i take this calf off put another on her and get her bred... thanks sorry it was so beaten around the bush

Hope this is better to read

Maybe I'm just tired or dumb, but I find your note hard to read. You might try some capital letters to begin a sentence, and some periods and question marks to end them. And some spaces in between some sentences to break it up.

Maybe they don't teach writing that way anymore.

Dixieangus":j443wb40 said:
Ok two questions can a cow keep making milk if you dont let her dry up and if so would it be worth it to keep the cow and when i take this calf off put another on her and get her bred... thanks sorry it was so beaten around the bush

Hope this is better to read

Yes, a cow will continue producing milk for a certain length of time unless she is dried off. I don't know what that length of time is, however, because we raised beef cows and they were dried off after weaning. I'm a little confused as to your reasoning behind your second question. Are you thinking that a cow will not bred back unless she is milking? Why would you want to keep her milking long enough to raise 2 calves? Are you aware of the toll that will take on her lifetime productivity and her body?

msscamp":vjuxgbxh said:
Why would you want to keep her milking long enough to raise 2 calves? Are you aware of the toll that will take on her lifetime productivity and her body?
For the most part i am , she is a heck of a cow that has an outstanding bag enought milk for more than one calves i think... I also feed this cow about 2 to 3 times a week but i would feed her a little more if she did what i am wanting her to do so she could keep condition and stay healthy.

The reason behind it is she puts everything she has into raising the calf (like a dairy breed).. I think thats why she is taking along time to breed back.

So if she could raise one calf in say 6 months and then put another on her and get her bred than it would be fine if she took 8 to 9 months to breed back she would be raising and extra calf every year and after the second calf of that year she would rest untile she had her next calf.

Dixieangus":1qi4e4r7 said:
For the most part i am , she is a heck of a cow that has an outstanding bag enought milk for more than one calves i think... I also feed this cow about 2 to 3 times a week but i would feed her a little more if she did what i am wanting her to do so she could keep condition and stay healthy.

The reason behind it is she puts everything she has into raising the calf (like a dairy breed).. I think thats why she is taking along time to breed back.

So if she could raise one calf in say 6 months and then put another on her and get her bred than it would be fine if she took 8 to 9 months to breed back she would be raising and extra calf every year and after the second calf of that year she would rest untile she had her next calf.

Ok, I see what you are saying. If I were you and wanting to achieve this goal, I would simply graft an extra calf on her after she calved, wean them both at your usual time, dry her off and let her rest until she calves again. Way back when I was a kid we used to have 3 or 4 nurse cows and, depending on how well they milked, each of them raised anywhere from 2-4 bucket calves. We kept the calves penned, turned the cows out on pasture, and brought the cows in twice a day for the calves to nurse so we knew that each calf got his/her fair share of milk.

Latest posts