Hay Season 2013

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch":lpopuqha said:
We are with Dun, not enough dry days to get it done. Our grass is in the early dough stage, and I like to get it put up before then but we have not enough dry days in a row! Ugh...
It turns out we really did have time. But wuth a 60% chance of thunder storms every other day (that never materialized) who knew. The last 2 days when they've been calling for rain we got maybe a half of a tenth each day.

Fire Sweep Ranch":2mnx9kzj said:
We are with Dun, not enough dry days to get it done. Our grass is in the early dough stage, and I like to get it put up before then but we have not enough dry days in a row! Ugh...
When you begin to get frustrated, just remember how hard it is to get to dough stage when the wet days are to few.....

When you begin to get frustrated, just remember how hard it is to get to dough stage when the wet days are to few.....

I totally agree with you Vett. 3 years ago I vowed to NEVER complain about moisture and for sure I never have.....or even had the opportunity. Rain what rain? :???:

Rain today. Rolled hay on the 9th and got it in the barn today, and it started raining with 5 rolls left on the trailer. But it's all under cover now. We haven't had a 4-5 day window sense the 9th.

This is our first 5 day stretch so im busting my arse to get it cut raked and baled I started friday. I hope that water doesnt dry up cause last year I had to feed over 100 rolls between june and august

Thanks big I would have 2 but I didn't do the raking on that field one of my guys did it for me i couldnt get mad because I didnt make it clear how I wanted it lol

I just cut my first field today, looks like good weather for a week, so I'm going at it full bore, plus seeding a field as well, so I'll have my hands full. Last year we had a really bad june, and I was stuck waiting into july for the first cut, which made it overmature and it didn't come up for the second cut... not this year... I would be able to wait a little still as far as maturity, the alfalfa hasn't really started blooming yet, but I can't get another pass of irrigation over it without it lodging, so it'll have to be early.

Did our first hay today. Small field, local town pays me to mow it. Kinda steep, the old 640 JD rake tried to roll over and play dead.

Well, I've got one field stacked, next 2 fields are probably coming in over the weekend.. one of them is a light cut, but wonderful horse hay.. it's all nice fine grasses and such, while the other was a thick stand of alfalfa and OG... that one takes about a week of good weather to dry if I don't want to turn it and risk having a wind give it to my neighbours... All in all I think it's a good start to the haying year.

skyhightree1":3qr6dx0n said:
I agree Nesi it is a good start to the hay year.

Yep, in the end it's all good. Even tho we sometimes complain, just Thank The Good Lord for another day.

Hay season is on full-swing in the Kittitas Valley. Rainy weather held it off for a couple weeks, but they're going gang-busters now that it's dry and we have some wind. We usually buy first cutting: Orchard grass for winter feeding and some alfalfa for finishing steers. This year, for first cutting not too far from home: $200/ton for pretty darn good orchard grass; $240/ton real nice alfalfa. Timothy is the high-dollar hay crop here, but we don't feed it -- the horse people on the west side love it, but we think it's over-rated.

Half done with my first cutting, been too wet to get in the bottoms to finish. Had weather since Wednesday buy the 5 inches of rain last Sunday kept me out of the field. Lots of hay not cut here, quality is going really be done. I dread mowing mine, wind and rain has really laid it over.

Latest posts