Hay Season 2013

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338":1oq5jmf2 said:
you can have your hay baled as long as the baling costs dont add up to an equipment payment.but once it gets to that point your better off buying your own equipment an doing it yourself.

My time is worth more than the equipment. I can never justify baling my own.

TexasBred":3b054oki said:
bigbull338":3b054oki said:
you can have your hay baled as long as the baling costs dont add up to an equipment payment.but once it gets to that point your better off buying your own equipment an doing it yourself.

My time is worth more than the equipment. I can never justify baling my own.

also great point

TB we had a guy setup to come cut an rake our hay.an he showed up an started cutting.we baled an hauled 146 bales in 2wks.if we was waiting on some1 to come an do it all it wouldve been a month more or less before they showed up.with these droughts you gotta get the hay while you can.ive got a friend that bales several thousand bales of hay for his dairy.an he couldnt get it baled if he was waiting on a custom baler.

You can't depend on someone else to bale your hay. I don't care how good you are, or what kind of equipment you have. It's hard enough to get your own hay baled when you want to most of the time. This year the rain has been bad...I shouldn't say that but, most everyone's hay got rained on, or was to long and the protein was down when it was cut. All the hay guys around here were 2-4 weeks behind. Mother nature can and will put you behind, and if your waiting for someone to bale your hay Good Luck. You can buy hay around here this year cheaper than you can grow and bale your own.

Well, I did get my 3rd cut baled before rain, but the bales got some rain on them... it rained every night for a half hour or so for the next 3 nights so I had to turn them and dry them out... got them stacked today... I am happy with the yield though, 300 x 80 lb bales from 8-9 acres, which puts my count from that acreage at about 1700 bales. I'm not going to sell this 3rd cut since the bales may still have a couple damp spots, but the heiferettes will do just fine on it.

Nesikep":3qcgr460 said:
Well, I did get my 3rd cut baled before rain, but the bales got some rain on them... it rained every night for a half hour or so for the next 3 nights so I had to turn them and dry them out... got them stacked today... I am happy with the yield though, 300 x 80 lb bales from 8-9 acres, which puts my count from that acreage at about 1700 bales. I'm not going to sell this 3rd cut since the bales may still have a couple damp spots, but the heiferettes will do just fine on it.

Please send me some rain lol Im begging you.. good job on the hay

you'll have to ask 3way and the texans for the rain,... I don't have any right now... Now that the hay is under cover I don't mind if it buckets for a few days... it would end the irrigation season for me which would be really nice

that meadow looks pretty good.if things work out we will be cutting our 2nd an last cutting the middle or end of oct.

Thanks bigbull that is a hayfield that I took over 2 years ago and overseeded it 300 lbs of seed per acre of ky31 to help choke out the weeds so far I haven't fertilized it but I will in the spring. I know I put ton per acre of lime last fall wasnt enough still getting broom straw so this year gonna try 3 tons per acre. I will not be using this as a hayfield next year it will just be a pasture since I plan on expanding my herd.

you might try just putting 2 tons of lime to the ac since youve already put a ton to the ac on it.

bigbull thats what I have been doing is 2 tons per acre per year without a soil sample

highgrit I have soil scientist come out to my row crop fields to test them im having them do my pastures this year.

since you have been liming it you need a soil sample.im not a big beleiver in using fert or lime.but thats just me.

My 2013 hay season has ended today ... 260 more 5x5 bales I will move them out the field next weekend.

cut this field few weeks ago got some rain and now its back to pretty green again instead of ugly brown.

its always good when hay season comes to an end.how meny bales did you end up with for the year.

bigbull338":13vjvdcp said:
its always good when hay season comes to an end.how meny bales did you end up with for the year.

I have 717 bales.. In total we baled 873 bales. I gave some away to people who helped me with the hay as well as some land owners allow me to cut the hay in return for hay for their own livestock.

I have enough hay for the winter. Rolls for the cows, and squares for the horses. I had the best grass year that I can ever remember. I wasn't able to get as much of it rolled as I would have liked to have. I have one hay barn with no hay in it. It would have been nice to have been able to stock up on some rolls. We have a pretty going hay auction here. I am expecting the prices to be low. I may buy some rolls to feed, and leave the majority of mine in the barn in case next year is like last year.

I have enough to last me for probably 2-3 years and I only have enough room that I put 140- 160 in the barn cant remember exactly the number I stuck in there. The other bales get put in pyramids and tarped outside . I agree this was the best hay year I fertilized it at teh right time and this summer was the wettest we have had that I can remember.