Hay Season 2013

Help Support CattleToday:

If it doesn't start changing soon, there will be no Hay Season 2013 here.

We had no Hay Season 2012 either, but carryover from previous years let most producers squeak through winter. Everyone's hay corral is empty and any grass left over from previous years is gone now.

In the last 2 weeks, a couple neighbors have purchased some mediocre grass hay from 200 miles away for $165. Just to get to turnout time. Brandings going on most every day now, and still full feeding hay. Not looking good.

Other folks are running calves through and working them, but not branding in preparation for what is next.

20:20 hindsight, we should have cut hay yesterday. Haven;t had the rain they claimed was coming and it's supposed to be dry till wenesday afternoon. Then thunderstorms again through sunday.

Dun I cut 4 rows but more than likely will finish it up in the morning or atleast half of it. We should be dry till the weekend. I tedded what I cut this morning and will ted it again maybe tomorrow with the rest I cut.

Lots of hay got put on the ground in my neck of the woods this weekend. Most of it has been ready to cut for at least a cople weeks but we might finally have a window of sunny weather to dry it. We cut all of ours that was ready today and hope to bale it either Wednesday or Thursday.

thanks Andy but the weather that followed was not pretty and its cold so hopefully it will be dry enough by friday cause saturday rains supposed to start saturday

Hope you get all that in before the rain. The weather has not been kind to us all. I rolled my rolls over today so the bottom to dry so I can get them in the barn.

wife comes in tonight goes were you playing in hay today i could smell it way down the road before I got in the driveway lol I had just got finished tedding the hay she loves that smell as do i .

I baled a few bales of oats yesterday and today go another 50 -60 acres or so down hopefully will get it up without any rain
I should get close to finishing tomorrow or Friday just depends on how much it dries down

Sky you asked me the other day how many bales I thought it would make has been averaging right at 7 bales pr acre on most

Just finished burning mile long windrows. It's cleaned up, now to spray some weed killer and fertilizer.

We are with Dun, not enough dry days to get it done. Our grass is in the early dough stage, and I like to get it put up before then but we have not enough dry days in a row! Ugh...

Latest posts