Hay Season 2013

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Has anyone contemplated starting to cut hay yet? I have a couple fields that are in full seed heads and ready to cut anytime but the weather has not been that great for it to dry properly. Has anyone already made the first cut ?

Several places have already baled. I dont plan to bale any this year....looking like a repeat of 2011

Started mowing the 10th of May last year. Have been getting ample moisture but the real cool nights has everything slower this season. I figure to be about a week to ten days behind last year. Weather will decide that.

fitz

gotcha.. I have no baler lol sold mine for scrap was a old chain baler made some ugly bales.. I can cut and rake but no baler to bale I will either have to pay someone to bail or buy a baler im hoping to run across a nice baler at a auction

same here fitz.. I still have 135 bales left over from last year but im not sure what the summer will bring as far as another drought or what so I want to bail as much as i can while its there and alive and not crunching lol.

Around here the only thing heading out is the crappy Downy Brome

With this rain this week sky I think I will be cutting mixed alfalfa grass next weekend. My cereal rye is heading out so that may be about a week or two depending if I bale for steer roughage or long straw. New alfalfa field is looking terrible for multiple reasons (40 deer, weevils, weeds) and is probably gonna get plowed under for corn. New hay fields wont be til after june 1st it looks like. Its not like last year when I was done first cut before may 8th. We are at least 250 miles north of you so you should be far ahead of me. I was in maryland today picking up fence posts and their rye and barley was at full head already.

Still snow cover UP this way. Probably start cutting hay during the 2nd or 3rd week of June. I did look at the mower today and thought about digging it out and do some preseason maintenance on it though.

shady i can't cut yet its still not getting warm enough in my opinion to dry out thoruoghly my fields need it bad though.
Chevy do all maint while you are in the down season it sux to waiting and do it.

Rain, rain and more rain. No end in sight. Would love to be making hay. Grass ready to cut. Needs to be cut. Just not getting the weather for hay. And did I mention their prediction is for rain.

we have had rain for 2 days and I love it because its helping my corn and everything else think rain supposed to end wed

I have some clover/ryegrass I could cut but the weather isn't looking too sporty for hay. On top of that, once I cut it I'll have to fertilize and when I fertilize I'll have to spend money and I'm not looking forward to that.

Jogeephus":286lfoyz said:
I have some clover/ryegrass I could cut but the weather isn't looking too sporty for hay. On top of that, once I cut it I'll have to fertilize and when I fertilize I'll have to spend money and I'm not looking forward to that.
I thought like that once upon a time...

Jogeephus":26lwksrx said:

come on Jo stimulate the economy spend that moldy money you have :lol: :lol: :lol:

we wont be baling hay till end of may or 1st of june.we are getting a bunch of cool snapps an the grass is slow to start growing good.

skyhightree1":1sbc6jyo said:
Jogeephus":1sbc6jyo said:

come on Jo stimulate the economy spend that moldy money you have :lol: :lol: :lol:

I want to hold back and wait for a grant or something.

Looks like we have a window opening. Showing 6 sunny days starting this weekend. May try cutting Sun or Mon. There were two that cut this week, and been getting washed daily. Should be some clean hay. Well maybe straw.

Latest posts