Hay Season 2013

Help Support CattleToday:

1982 bring them up they are welcome but you gotta come pick them up by april or they are forfeited and become my property lol

since its dry as all get out and no rain anywhere in sight im doing my second cutting to end this hay season started some today

I hope you get the rain you need. My pastures and yard are dry as heck. I hope to get rain after all my haying is done.

our pastures are dust.an the grass is about gone.hope these rains get the pastures going again.

bigbull338":1poekech said:
our pastures are dust.an the grass is about gone.hope these rains get the pastures going again.

Yea, Its bad here too but not like there im sure. We went from getting 20 inches of rain in july and half of august and since then no rain whatsoever.

Well, I'm working on my 3rd cut, got some really heavy dew that bleached the top bit, but you won't see it in the bale... my heiferettes are going to be eating well this winter... It's looking like I'll probably have about 250 bales of 90 lbs from 8 acres, which is good for 3rd cut in these parts...

the heiferettes are going to have good eats this winter so they can pack on the weight... next year's bull is a pretty massive guy (~2400 lb red simmi)

sounds like its time to upgrade 1 peice at a time.if you remember we bought a round baler in late winter.then i traded my 52hp tractor for a 72hp tractor.still need to get the cutter an rake.

Yes I do recall that. I got a old new holland haybine new v rake and borrowed baler... I think this may be my last haying season for a while. I can have it done really cheap and save time so this may be my last year for a while putting up hay. i plan on expanding my herd and will probably use that money for new haying equip to do so. I have over 150 acres of hay that I cut for right under 60 head and have never ran out of hay even when i was feeding during drought so I want to increase the herd

you can have your hay baled as long as the baling costs dont add up to an equipment payment.but once it gets to that point your better off buying your own equipment an doing it yourself.

bigbull338":39jpols4 said:
you can have your hay baled as long as the baling costs dont add up to an equipment payment.but once it gets to that point your better off buying your own equipment an doing it yourself.

excellent point.