Hay ring made of plastic tubing.

Help Support CattleToday:

Cowdog

Reaction score
A few days ago there was a picture of a bull and it was standing next to a hay ring that was made out of plastic tubing. I was at a sale resecntly and saw something like that one, but when it went up for sale I was away and was not able to buy it. Does anyone know where I can get a materials list and instruction on making these type of rings.
Thanks

We bought ours they were $225 + 45 for the additional spacers. This was many years ago tho. They have held up REALLY well.

The posts and spacers would be the easy part....you could use a hole saw to cut into them to fit snug to the rings. The rings are a bit harder. The guy has a heater that is used to weld plastic gas lines... and the seem is supposed to be just as strong or stronger than the tubing. And then it is all put together with a drill and carriage bolts.

Good luck.... If you want I could take some close up pics, I bet if your good at working with things, it would be a snap to do. Where to get the parts...not sure what type/schedule pvc/tubing it is.

Michele

I have one. Have had it for four or five years and would never buy a metal one again. They are made by Centry Livestock Feeders in Okla. I believe they have a 7 year warranty. Since I bought the first one in our area our feed/supply store has sold 15 to 20 per year locally. They have different ones, high, horse, Bull, mineral feeders all made from the same material and tough.

Mitchwi
I would really appreciate it if you could take a few pictures of the ring. I thought I found some tubing at Lowes and could probably find the same quality at a plumbing supply store. I am new to getting infomation this way, but it is like stopping at a neighbors.
Thank you to all who replied.

I will take the pics this weekend, and post them Sunday evening.

Michele

Cowdog":65b5jlbm said:
Mitchwi
I would really appreciate it if you could take a few pictures of the ring. I thought I found some tubing at Lowes and could probably find the same quality at a plumbing supply store. I am new to getting infomation this way, but it is like stopping at a neighbors.
Thank you to all who replied.

I do not think you can buy the same type of plastic. It is not PVC (Polyvinyl), it is polyetheylene. High tech. A plummer friend worked on some oil stuff & said they had to pull some and it stretched forever and didn't bust, but got very small in diameter. Thats why they can bend it in circles, very flexible. I have 4 of them, wouldn't have any other type.

Call them & find a dealer near you. By the time you go through the crap to build one you could have done something productive and made twice as much as it cost to buy one.

tom4018, That's a good price. I wonder if it is the same gauge plastic and did they ever quote shippping charges? We have gone to the plastic hay rings. We are paying roughly the same as mitchwi. These rings hold up so much better than the metal ones and have not had one to tear up.
Chuckie

I have several of those plastic ring bale holders and really like them...I have a couple I just took the top ring off and use for horses (so they don't rub off their manes)... They are real light and easy to move around or flip over a bale- and don't have any sharp corners for a horse to cut itself...

Only had one post break on one (that I had taken the top ring off) and I just replaced it with a wood post...

I've had these for several years- and paid around $180 for them...

here is my question - I'm a beginner tractor driver and I sometimes hit the ring when I drop the bale into the center
will these plastic rings take that weight - or do you have to put the ring over the bale after it is on the ground?

mdmdogs3":14y5bp5f said:
here is my question - I'm a beginner tractor driver and I sometimes hit the ring when I drop the bale into the center
will these plastic rings take that weight - or do you have to put the ring over the bale after it is on the ground?

I usually put it over the bale after I've set the bale down- but I've set bales in the ring- both with tractor and Besler bale bed...Had no problems...

Chuckie":g2ddy9so said:
tom4018, That's a good price. I wonder if it is the same gauge plastic and did they ever quote shippping charges? We have gone to the plastic hay rings. We are paying roughly the same as mitchwi. These rings hold up so much better than the metal ones and have not had one to tear up.
Chuckie

They quoted $49 shipping a couple months ago to my zip code.

I didn't forget about you, but I am having camera issues.

Michele

Michele,
I you could get the camera to work it would be great, but if not that is fine. Someone wrote and said I would be better off buying a manufactoured one, probably would, but I just got to try my hand at it once. I was raised by a father who came up during the depreaction and he was raised by grandfather who lived through the envasion of the south. If we had a family crest it would say "Build it if you can".

Thanks for the name of the manufacturer. I called them & have a local guy that I know handles them. $275 - I'm checking into getting a skirt for them.
He said he set one out in 10 degree weather for a week & went out with a sledge hammer & couldn't break it! (and he's a BIG boy!!)

Sorry it took so long :shock:

The height of the top ring is approx 50 inches
The top of the second ring is approx 20 inches
And the bottom ring does not sit directly on the ground...approx 1" off the ground

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0926.jpg

sorry, can't turn right way :mad: trying to show the "weld"

IMG_0927.jpg

Michele

jones1611av":2lw1wkx6 said:
I couldn't find that link you posted, it was an email address but I did find this one http://www.leesfarmsupply.com/rb_feeders.htm this one is for $235.00 plus shipping. I hadn't heard of the plastic ones till now, can you post the company or link to the one you mentioned earlier?
Do these hold up to bulls "playing" with them?????

Latest posts