Hay ring made of plastic tubing.

Help Support CattleToday:

CKC1586":172bxz3d said:
jones1611av":172bxz3d said:
I couldn't find that link you posted, it was an email address but I did find this one http://www.leesfarmsupply.com/rb_feeders.htm this one is for $235.00 plus shipping. I hadn't heard of the plastic ones till now, can you post the company or link to the one you mentioned earlier?
Do these hold up to bulls "playing" with them?????
I've got a similar one. Had it 3-4 years now. Still all OK. Haven't ever seen the bulls "play" with it.

May be an obvious question, but how do you load a 1500lb 5x6ft bale in a plastic feeder every couple days and not damage the feeder? I use a spear on my loader, drop the bales in from above and sometimes my aim is not so good...

My neighbor had a plastic tubing hay ring and asked me to put a couple bales out for him and I almost destroyed the ring. I thought well maybe you are supposed to set the bale first then the ring over it but those things are not all that light and lifting a plastic ring with the loader spear is still likely to destroy it.

Steel rings I can be off a bit on my trajectory when dropping a bale in on uneven ground and generally doesn't hurt them.

What am I missing here?

Jim

I have a couple of the plastic feeders that are identical except they don't have the orange cross pieces...That looks like a good idea and would strengthen them..

Mine have held up good- even to the bulls-and are about 10 years old- BUT- the old bulls get smart and learn how to lift them off from a bale...They work good with the yearling bulls and heifers- which is what I use them most for..

SRBeef- when the bulls get the hay in a ring ate down- I just lift one side of the ring (they are very light) and sit down a new bale - and flop the ring back down around them..But like I said- that is the main problem- they are too light and sometimes the older/bigger bulls just get their head in the top ring and lift/push them right off the bale.....

Oldtimer":3c6dqqe1 said:
I have a couple of the plastic feeders that are identical except they don't have the orange cross pieces...That looks like a good idea and would strengthen them..

Mine have held up good- even to the bulls-and are about 10 years old- BUT- the old bulls get smart and learn how to lift them off from a bale...They work good with the yearling bulls and heifers- which is what I use them most for..

SRBeef- when the bulls get the hay in a ring ate down- I just lift one side of the ring (they are very light) and sit down a new bale - and flop the ring back down around them..But like I said- that is the main problem- they are too light and sometimes the older/bigger bulls just get their head in the top ring and lift/push them right off the bale.....

Thanks for the reponse - so as I understand it, with the plastic rings you set the bale on the ground where you want it first then manually roll the plastic ring over to it and flop it over the bale? hmmm.

My neighbor's was not all that light as I recall. Thank you for the info. Jim

SR, I guess a better aim is in store>>.......I dump over the top unless I'm moving the ring then it is ring over the bale. I am however expecting disaster one of these days when I move it with the tractor forks. Generally try not to do this way to often, but have done it when it used to rain and get real muddy. Since I have to get off the tractor to remove the twine I move the ring while I'm off the tractor. In the even it is wet and muddy I'll slip the forks under the ring and drag it backwards.

I checked into buying one. I think they are great - but - small calves all the way to weaning age can and do get INTO the feeder. People I've talked to that have these feeders acknowledge this, and say they don't care - gives the calves a place to lie down. Well, sorry, I don't want calves of any size in our hay being fed to the cattle. Fine and dandy when it's just a newborn, but 400 & 500# calves get into it. Possibly with the "added" dividers that wouldn't happen.

I have one that I added wooden 2x4's on similar to the orange dividers. These are really tough but there is a lot of hay wasted in these. I did have a couple of the stainless steel bolts to break and had to be replaced. The dealer I bought mine from said Ted Turner had several of them in use for a buffalo herd and they held up ok.

We've been using these for about 5 years; will never go back to a metal ring. Local feed/seed store carries 'em; yeah, we paid $250 each - about twice what you'd pay for an 'economy' metal one - but those usually only last a couple of years before they're broken or rusted out. I've got friends who've used the plastic ones for 10 years, and they're just as sound as when they first purchased them.
Farm manager(wife) likes 'em, cause she can flip 'em up pretty easily and roll 'em around to drop over the new rolls when we put 'em out, and they don't sink down in the mud or freeze to the ground like those old metal ones - but like OT said, the bull can - and WILL - push 'em around.
Yes, calves can and do get in 'em when they've eaten the roll down pretty good - but I always had calves getting in the metal ones, especially after a year or so, when one or more sidebars had rusted or been broken out, and the spaces are large enough that you don't have to worry about a larger calf getting stuck going in or out. But, since we limit-feed hay - cows only have access to the hay feeders for 1-1.5 hrs a day, I don't have much problem with calves lying/peeing on hay inside the ring - they're all eating for all they're worth while they have the opportunity.

What I think would be a big seller would be a polyethylene hay feeder made in the "hay saver" design. I would like to use a hay saver bale feeder but do not have a front end loader for my 2510 John Deere and wouldn't want to use it if I did on fear of damaging the front axle.

I would like to use a "hay saver" design, but I just don't have the oompf in me anymore to move these 300# metal hay feeders by hand on a regular basis. Maybe I'm turning into a cupcake.

Santas and Duhram Reds":78pwrfru said:
They make them.

Please tell me who makes them.
Do they have a website? If so, what is it?
What is their contact information?

Thank you, in advance, for your reply!

We had a 5 weight heifer get into a metal ring when we were weaning and got tangled up and had her hock and fetlock in a bind...just barely got her out and she swole up for a few days. I'm gonna look for these plastic rings myself in Moultrie next week at the Ag expo.

Julian":1s3xmfwm said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":1s3xmfwm said:
They make them.

Please tell me who makes them.
Do they have a website? If so, what is it?
What is their contact information?

Thank you, in advance, for your reply!
Yes, I want to know this too, Thanks, Jones

We saw them at a Kent feed dealer when we were passing thru Eagleville MO. Thought it looked like a good idea but didn't know how it would hold up and it was kinda pricey. As I watch our metal ring rust away from the bottom, I wish we woulda bought one. Next time I pass thru there I will, after all the good comments about them.

Latest posts