Handling facility for 25-30 head

Help Support CattleToday:

Earl Thigpen":1w6472gx said:
I learn something every time I log on here. Thanks!

After looking at some of the pen designs, the one's that folks say work best (for them) are not anything like what the "experts" from the universities recommend. For example, most of the so called experts say that the chutes and alleys should be curved and blind yet the design CB (or whomever) presents is not curved. Is it blind? (Does it have plywood or plastic or something else covering the structrual panels to keep the animals from getting distracted)??

By the way, is this called a hijack? If so, let me know and I will move this off.

I have just purchased a used squeeze chute and headgate and am in the process of putting together my own working facilities. This thread has provided a lot of valuable ideas and information, for that, I thank the contributors.

In reference to the blind vs not blind and curved vs not curved types I can tell you that manufactured "blind" alleys, chutes, panels are at least 50% more expensive than non-blind types.
The same can be said of curved vs straight panels. Today a very modest crowding tub and straight chute with gates approches the cost of a decent new squeeze chute and head gate.
So, cost could be a big reason why many do not follow the university recommendations closely.

Jon

Earl Thigpen":2zuq5nm1 said:
For example, most of the so called experts say that the chutes and alleys should be curved and blind

Earl, I don't like the curved ones personally. My cut gate swings across a squared pen. On the back there is no way out and on the side they are boxed in a 20 by 20. When I cut one out of the working pen, I use the corner that wouldn't be there, if it were round. I then run two at a time through the chutes to work them. I probably do it all wrong but it works great for me working solo.

The university is not trying to get something done on a budget! If you followed everyone of the universities great ideas, you would go BROKE. Same thing goes for the feed and equipment sellers.

Cattlemen use too make money with hard work and lots of sweat.

Now you have all this state of the art equipment and lab made feeds and you can't even make a living raising cattle.

Brute 23":1l4giyas said:
That is alot of gates. Not sure what you are using for gates but I would not reccomend aluminum in those areas where it starts getting crowded. Good solid board gate or pipe.

You can never have enough gates when you're a one man show. :) Experience has taught me that its nice to be able to sort between sorting pens without having to run animals through the squeeze area, hence all the gates between the sorting pens.

I use heavy pipe gates for my pressure areas, and 1/8' wall 1" square tubing in the areas where there will be less pressure. Lots heavy enough, even for some of lunatics I have.

Rod

Latest posts