Proper handling?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
The other day my wife saw on FB a video clip of some folks bringing in what appeared to be a green broke steer calf.
From what it looked like they didn't back the trailer all the way to the gate and let a young man attempt to lead him off the trailer and into a lot. The calf bolted and young man to his credit held on to the rope but got drug around some.
Wife commented that they put the young man in danger by unloading it out in the open and should have backed the trailer all the way to the gate. She got quite a bit of online heat for her comments but it was about even as far those that agreed with her.
Our views on handling cattle are, don't take chances, I do sometimes, but would never want to take a chance with the safety of anybody else. I can see too many things going wrong in a scenario like that, looks like to me they were fortunate to get the calf in the field without the fellow getting hurt or the calf getting loose.
The only way I would do that is if and when the calf was more halter broke and used to the process of being led in and off of a trailer.

When our kids showed it took them awhile before they were comfortable trailering and off loading…even the most broke calves. Trailering and off loading is "excitable", requires a step, sometimes wide open space, tying off, sometimes new location and/or happy to be home after stalling in for an extended time. To each their own but nothing worse than bovine bad habits and dashed confidence when things go sideways. IMO anyways or how we did things.

My wife showed me that video, Hereford wasn't it?

I thought the same thing as you Ky. He had to drag it off the trailer practically, until it decided to go on it's own. Not broke enough for me.

My wife showed me that video, Hereford wasn't it?

I thought the same thing as you Ky. He had to drag it off the trailer practically, until it decided to go on it's own. Not broke enough for me.
Yes. They posted another video apparently a month later showing how calm it was after being worked with, i though yep that's when you might could safely start working with it trying to lead in and off the trailer.