Best Temple Grandin Books for Cattle Handling and Behavior

Help Support CattleToday:

RanchMan90":2ivpdfry said:
backhoeboogie":2ivpdfry said:
NECowboy":2ivpdfry said:
First generation cattleman, didn't have my dad or no one else to teach me. I get the experience part but don't mind seeing what someone else has to say and then applying that to my observations. Certainly doesn't qualify me to say I got this versus an experienced cattleman. Particularly interested in learning from these books where Temple Grandin has a great reputation on low stress livestock handling methods and corral design.

Over my lifetime I have helped work cows at hundreds of different places. No two cattle men at alike, exactly. Different facilities, different breeds, different goals, and different people.

I don't mind compassion for animals. But there are times when you simply have to get it done. The facilities are no yours but you have to make them work. Its not all fun (no matter what the commercials show).
Reminds me of a time when I was kid I helped a family put CIDRs in a couple hundred broncky f1 tigers, the wife insisted I not use a sorting pole on her "babies". Turned a one day job into 2 pretty quick.

She had names for each and every one of them I bet. And you were supposed to know who each one was. LOL

backhoeboogie":31wwldpt said:
RanchMan90":31wwldpt said:
backhoeboogie":31wwldpt said:
Over my lifetime I have helped work cows at hundreds of different places. No two cattle men at alike, exactly. Different facilities, different breeds, different goals, and different people.

I don't mind compassion for animals. But there are times when you simply have to get it done. The facilities are no yours but you have to make them work. Its not all fun (no matter what the commercials show).
Reminds me of a time when I was kid I helped a family put CIDRs in a couple hundred broncky f1 tigers, the wife insisted I not use a sorting pole on her "babies". Turned a one day job into 2 pretty quick.

She had names for each and every one of them I bet. And you were supposed to know who each one was. LOL
Haha yes, and I had a few names for them when we were done. I don't suggest being physical with a sorting pole, just using it an extension so they knew I was there. With those types of cattle even if theyre not running at you they can still run over you. Makes a man appreciate gentle cattle. I do my best cowboyin with a feed sack.

RanchMan90":2ijvqbtg said:
I do my best cowboyin with a feed sack.

Goes with the territory for those types especially. You can lead them to hades and back. Just don't try to drive them.

What I hate to that group of cows that's never seen a human before.

I do name my cows and they are extremely tame but I definitely use a sorting stick! Except a couple months ago when I pulled our alpha bull from the central pasture; the plan was to drive up in the Polaris and walk him down to the barn, shut him up & trailer to another pasture. Wouldn't you know I forgot my sorting stick but I did find a fly swatter in the bed of the Polaris. Game on!

backhoeboogie":pnv3rl9d said:
NECowboy":pnv3rl9d said:
something as silly as leaving a jacket on the fence (God forbid a yellow rain slicker I didn't know cows hated yellow high contrast color til I read it from her) can stress and scare them.

When the vet pulls in, and his truck is painted up like an easter egg, you know you got a rookie.

One time I was bringing a mob of calves up for vaccinations, saw the vet's car arriving a few minutes before they reached the yard. As the calves entered the yard they panicked and bounced off the rails in every direction.
I'm thinking; I know *exactly* where that vet is standing.
And I'd like to know what idiot thinks it's okay to stand half-concealed behind a wall adjacent to the yard entrance when a bunch of teenage cattle are about to walk past.

Latest posts