USDA Announces Changes to Improve Humane Handling of Veal Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

LCCattle

Reaction score

WASHINGTON, July 13, 2016 – The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced changes today to improve humane handling inspections at facilities that produce veal meat.

With this change, FSIS will begin to require that veal calves that are brought to slaughter but cannot rise and walk be promptly and humanely euthanized, and prohibited from entering the food supply. Previously, FSIS has allowed veal calves that are unable to rise from a recumbent position to be set aside and warmed or rested, and presented for slaughter if they regain the ability to walk. FSIS has found that this practice may contribute to the inhumane treatment of the veal calves. This change would improve compliance with the Humane Methods of Slaughter Act by encouraging improved treatment of veal calves, as well as improve inspection efficiency by allowing FSIS inspection program personnel to devote more time to activities related to food safety.
Just so you know!

LCCattle":1qognizv said:

WASHINGTON, July 13, 2016 – The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced changes today to improve humane handling inspections at facilities that produce veal meat.

With this change, FSIS will begin to require that veal calves that are brought to slaughter but cannot rise and walk be promptly and humanely euthanized, and prohibited from entering the food supply. Previously, FSIS has allowed veal calves that are unable to rise from a recumbent position to be set aside and warmed or rested, and presented for slaughter if they regain the ability to walk. FSIS has found that this practice may contribute to the inhumane treatment of the veal calves. This change would improve compliance with the Humane Methods of Slaughter Act by encouraging improved treatment of veal calves, as well as improve inspection efficiency by allowing FSIS inspection program personnel to devote more time to activities related to food safety.
Just so you know!

Thank you. I support humane treatment of cattle. Keep me informed.

Well then we are unanimous as I like veal also and I dislike people who treat animals inhumanely.
But you didn't think I would pass this one by without making a comment, did ya.

When I go out for dinner with guests, as I like veal, I get veal just to see what comments my guests have to say about veal so I can set them straight of all the misinformation they say.
I am probably the best sales rep for veal you can find, and I even offer to give them a bite of my meal.
The worst and most frequent complaint I hear about is the inhumane treatment they go through.
Now I can explain why they are taken from their mother at such an early age and why they need to be confined, but I can NOT explain away the many videos by PETA of you, the producers abusing your calves, and those taken after the calf leaves your farm and it is sickly and unable to walk.
So if you would like for me to continue to be a sales rep for your product, CLEAN UP YOUR ACT!
If you have a sickly calf, do NOT send it to market. Shoot it and dig a hole.
Or if you think a sickly calf is eatable, take it to your local processor, put it in your freezer and you eat it because I dam sure don't want to eat it.
If you send a sickly calf to market just for financial reasons: 1. your in the wrong business if that little amount of chump change will effect your bottom line. 2. if you are that desperate for money, have the calf processed and donate the meat to a shelter and use it as a tax write off.
So please stop making yourself your own worst sales rep.

click here

Veal calves are anemic and get chilled easily, so the whole "let them sit till they warm up" has nothing to do with them being sick from disease, nor is it a form of abuse. The one's that can't get up after being warmed, can't be used for human consumption, just like all slaughter animals.
So now they won't be able to use a lot of them just because they got a little cold.

Sim,
Veal calves are anemic
Why are they anemic ?

a·ne·mic
əˈnēmik/
adjective
adjective: anaemic; adjective: anemic
1. suffering from anemia.
synonyms:
colorless, bloodless, pale, pallid, wan, ashen, gray, sallow, pasty-faced, whey-faced, peaked, sickly, etiolated
"his anemic face"
lacking in color, spirit, or vitality.
synonyms:
feeble, weak, insipid, wishy-washy, vapid, bland; More
lame, tame, lackluster, spiritless, languid, lifeless, ineffective, ineffectual, etiolated;
informalpathetic
I've raised plenty of bottle babies from birth and they weren't anemic. ???

LCCattle":k9td9v6k said:
Sim,
Veal calves are anemic
Why are they anemic ?

a·ne·mic
əˈnēmik/
adjective
adjective: anaemic; adjective: anemic
1. suffering from anemia.
synonyms:
colorless, bloodless, pale, pallid, wan, ashen, gray, sallow, pasty-faced, whey-faced, peaked, sickly, etiolated
"his anemic face"
lacking in color, spirit, or vitality.
synonyms:
feeble, weak, insipid, wishy-washy, vapid, bland; More
lame, tame, lackluster, spiritless, languid, lifeless, ineffective, ineffectual, etiolated;
informalpathetic
I've raised plenty of bottle babies from birth and they weren't anemic. ???
Their diet doesn't contain higher levels of Iron like normal milk replacer does. So they are anemic to the point that they chill easy, but aren't sick. You said you eat veal, so you must of notice the white color.

Sim,
Their diet doesn't contain higher levels of Iron like normal milk replacer does.
So are you saying there is a different milk replacer just for veal calves? I didn't know that.