handling cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

jallen

Reaction score
Newbie question here--I'm waiting to start vaccinating yearly. I hit the calves with blackleg now, but they aren't too bad to deal with. I do it when they are still too small to kill me--I need to figure out how to handle the cows. I have a catch pen, it is two pens connected with a lane on one side that they can go out. This lane is narrow obviously--its the only spot I have to get one confined. I have a head catch but I don't trust it--it is old and real light duty. Is getting a cow in a lane one at a time a reasonable way to attempt to vaccinate? I'm looking at this from a safety for me and the cow standpoint--no real injury is possible for the cow that I can see. I could potentially administer the shots from above the cows--does anyone use this kind of setup? Is it even possible to vaccinate cattle without a real squeeze chute?

A norrow alleyway works fine. Maybe not great but plenty good enough. You can run a bunch in till it's full and go down the line or run them in one at a time. Your choice. They just need to be solidly blocked from going out the front or out the back.

Thanks Dun, another quick question. Are all vaccines going to be given via injection? Just wondering if there are pour ons like some wormers. Ive never heard of such, just curious

When I am helping some guys that have long alleyways we just pack them in, and go down the line makes it go a lot faster. As far as I know all your 8 way and lepto and stuff are injectable not pour on.

There are pour on wormers but not highly effective. About the only pour ons I can think of that work are the fly and grubacide ones.

jallen":27wx6t30 said:
Thanks Dun, another quick question. Are all vaccines going to be given via injection? Just wondering if there are pour ons like some wormers. Ive never heard of such, just curious

Don't know of pour-ons but some vaccines are oral. Not any of the commonly used ones.
Vaccinating in a narrow race is fine if the cows are relaxed.

btw 'narrow' in my definition means 'not able to turn round'
The calves can turn round in my vetrace. Older heifers and cows can't.

I know this is a little off but I have just now got a way to shoot mine as well. What vaccines should be used?

3 feet wide. I'm going to give it a whirl next week. It will be dicey with some of them, small spaces has made a few of them but in the past. The only one I feel confident wont give me any trouble is my bull, he is used to being handled more often. What is the most recommended vaccine? Seems like my vet mentioned bovishield?

We worked all our cattle for years with out a squeeze chute. Back then we thought a head catch was the latest, greatest invention ever made.

Our first "squeeze chute" was a corral panel. We tied off one end to the board corral, ran the calf in and would squeeze the panel tight. Got fancy and learned to put a board behind the calf to keep it from backing up.
It took me years to finally get a squeeze chute. Sure is handy.
We vaccinate for black leg, respiratory and recently added pasteurella.

jallen":2ibm6acr said:
3 feet wide. I'm going to give it a whirl next week. It will be dicey with some of them, small spaces has made a few of them but in the past. The only one I feel confident wont give me any trouble is my bull, he is used to being handled more often. What is the most recommended vaccine? Seems like my vet mentioned bovishield?

I think we do Bovashield Gold or Triangle 10 (think it depends on whether they're bred? would have to check that) and add pinkeye and rabies. You should check with your vet re local recommendations, I would think.

boondocks":2mn4d0k0 said:
You should check with your vet re local recommendations, I would think.
This can not be emphasized enough. Your local large animal vet knows what vaccinations are needed for your area.