Gripple contractor tool

Help Support CattleToday:

Farm Fence Solutions":2wtvmjcx said:
callmefence":2wtvmjcx said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2wtvmjcx said:
I mostly like the big rolls because they look cool.

Man ain't that the truth. I can't wait to put a couple them suckers on the back of my truck.

Does this giant roll of wire make my other roll of wire look big? Yes, that is the new and improved Jackhawk 9000 unroller......Only available at Farm Fence Solutions. :lol:

Sure makes mine look small! :lol:

callmefence":3uhldxew said:
bball":3uhldxew said:
J&D Cattle":3uhldxew said:
I can get on board with what you are doing but that is mind boggling to most who were raised and taught to never splice if you didn't have to. I'm getting ready to put up 10,000 or so feet of HT cross fencing and am planning on using gripples as my tension devices. My buddy who bought the tool kit from you likes the heck out of it. I'll be ordering one soon.

Will some one post a video of gripples being used like this. I know nothing of them really, but am always game to learn a better way. Been using ratchet strainers for this...

https://youtu.be/llolfTnAe0I

https://youtu.be/N3maSOqMNJg

https://www.farmfencesolutions.com/product-tag/gripple/

Thanks for taking the time to post those links Fence.

Luke, sending you a pm :idea:

greybeard":1u7swfun said:
bball":1u7swfun said:
Will some one post a video of gripples being used like this. I know nothing of them really, but am always game to learn a better way. Been using ratchet strainers for this...
Same here. I started building fence under my Dad's tutelage in '64 and when I first came to CT and the rest of the internet, I thought not only was my way of doing it the best way, thought it was the ONLY way too.
Was I ever wrong...and we're lucky to have guys like the fencing pros (and every day farmers) here sharing their tips and tricks with us.
It says lots about them too.

Try asking for advice at somewhere like an auto dealership, plumbing outfit, electric contractor, or computer shop and you get the impression they think you're holding a gun and asking for their paycheck.

Could not agree more. I have sure learned an awful lot in the couple years being on this site...about fence, cattle, feed...the list is ongoing. Even though the focus sometimes becomes what folks disagree about on CT, there is a wealth of valuable knowledge being shared by many, many great people on here. Not trying to stir anything up, but when I snoop around on other sites similar to this one, there just doesn't seem to be the same level of activity.

fence_it":2u0t0gna said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2u0t0gna said:
callmefence":2u0t0gna said:
Man ain't that the truth. I can't wait to put a couple them suckers on the back of my truck.

Does this giant roll of wire make my other roll of wire look big? Yes, that is the new and improved Jackhawk 9000 unroller......Only available at Farm Fence Solutions. :lol:

Sure makes mine look small! :lol:

One of these days, we'll get you to switch. ;-)

1. How does my contractor tool strip barbs off?
2. If you make your initial stretch from the center of the wire, you've got a bunch of barbs to get off. Should I make an initial center pull with a goldenrod, and then join the pieces with the contractor tool, while it's drawn tight with the goldenrod?
3. There is a learning curve to this thing, I only fiddled with it in the dark for a little while.

Bigfoot":12l3z3sw said:
2. If you make your initial stretch from the center of the wire, you've got a bunch of barbs to get off. Should I make an initial center pull with a goldenrod, and then join the pieces with the contractor tool, while it's drawn tight with the goldenrod?
3. There is a learning curve to this thing, I only fiddled with it in the dark for a little while.

1. Second picture on the OP
2. Yes your on the right track. For a long pull a come along and two dogs beats the goldenrod.
The gripple will make that slack you get between them a piece of cake.
Or use the gripple on your splices and terminal s. Pull just like you always have and use the contractor tool to tighten things up at the gripples.... there's more than one way.
3. Yes. There is a considerable learning curve.

2: We stick a gripple in while we are laying the wire out. Strip 3 or 4 barbs out of the wire to the left of the gripple before you stick the gripple on. Make sure to leave enough of a tail to get the jaw of the contractor tool on. Next thing is to get the second end tied off. On a long stretch, we will take up as much slack as we can with chains and dogs or a golden rod, and then put final tension on with the gripples........Or, you can just keep shoving barbs up the line with the gripple tool, but you didn't hear it from me.

This will sound exactly like a sales pitch, and I suppose it is, but the wire has quite a bit to do with it. What we have is just better in every aspect. Yep, I'm a bad salesman. lol I really do enjoy being a member of this forum, and I don't want to ruin that by pushing products we sell. I have sold quite a bit to many members here, and hopefully it has come through that we are not out to rip anyone off, or just here to push product sales. Plain and simple, if you put us against the others, our cost of installation will be less as well as our long term cost of ownership. I've been typing and backspacing for 30 minutes, and I'm still sure this will come out wrong, so I'm headed to the coffee shop, where I belong.

Bigfoot":2a99magq said:

Bigfoot. I practiced with stripping the barbs. It gets much faster after you get experience with how the jaw that holds the wire behaves.

In regard to your second question. I had the same experience. Personally, I still like to pull my barb wire at the end and tie off with using the goldenrod. But if you are using a gripple, to keep from having to strip off 3 feet or more of barbs, pull the slack out with a come along or whatever you like to use. Then go to the middle and prepare a site for your gripple. At least, that is what I do. If there is a better way, I need to hear it too.

It's completely lost on me how this contractor tool strips barbs off of the wire.

Bigfoot":1hb263tq said:
It's completely lost on me how this contractor tool strips barbs off of the wire.

Bigfoot,
This video that fence posted shows how to strip barbs with the tool.
8 minutes in.

Just got my kit in the mail today. Can't wait to try it out.
On the gripple in the middle deal for stretching. I envision tying off one end, running my wire, cutting in a gripple half way (after stripping of a few barbs) then stretching to the other end pretty snug, tie it off. Go back to middle gripple and snug it down tight. Again, not 100% sure, but this is what I'm hoping works.

Bigfoot":1i7xevev said:

Set the barb in the pocket. Lay the strand in the wire guide. Strip toward the end of the wire.

Better yet. Watch the video but don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I got out in the shop and practiced until I figured it out.

Good luck.

bball":1stnbbjq said:
Bigfoot":1stnbbjq said:

Bigfoot,
This video that fence posted shows how to strip barbs with the tool.
8 minutes in.

Just got my kit in the mail today. Can't wait to try it out.
On the gripple in the middle deal for stretching. I envision tying off one end, running my wire, cutting in a gripple half way (after stripping of a few barbs) then stretching to the other end pretty snug, tie it off. Go back to middle gripple and snug it down tight. Again, not 100% sure, but this is what I'm hoping works.

Brad,

That is my method only thing I will add, it takes some experience knowing how much stripping you need. It is a very handy tool.

Bright Raven":2jswrxlc said:
Bigfoot":2jswrxlc said:

Set the barb in the pocket. Lay the strand in the wire guide. Strip toward the end of the wire.

Better yet. Watch the video but don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I got out in the shop and practiced until I figured it out.

Good luck.

The wire pops out of the wire guide (or what I assume is the wire guide).

Bigfoot":25r6zcw4 said:
Bright Raven":25r6zcw4 said:
Bigfoot":25r6zcw4 said:

Good luck.

Tuck the barb deep in the pocket. The wire guide is like the rear sight of a rifle. It guides the wire as the jaws pull the wire away from the barb.

Bright Raven":1xby1lv4 said:
Bigfoot":1xby1lv4 said:
Bright Raven":1xby1lv4 said:

Good luck.

Tuck the barb deep in the pocket. The wire guide is like the rear sight of a rifle. It guides the wire as the jaws pull the wire away from the barb.

I will try some more.

Bigfoot":11bk6nok said:
Bright Raven":11bk6nok said:
Bigfoot":11bk6nok said:

Good luck.

I figured your using gaucho so I went out and got the closest thing I had. Stay tuff 15 gauge two point. It has a sorry little barb and I think I can see the problem your having. I've included two pics. One showing the wire in the tool. The other shows a slight curve I put in the wire to match the curve in the tool. I've found this helps. You want to walk the tool down the wire keeping the guide against what you're striping.
My tendency at first was to let the tool move towards the jaw. You want to move towards the barb. If it doesn't work out for you it'll be made right..no worries.

callmefence":13fx2pvy said:
Bigfoot":13fx2pvy said:
Bright Raven":13fx2pvy said:

Good luck.

I figured your using gaucho so I went out and got the closest thing I had. Stay tuff 15 gauge two point. It has a sorry little barb and I think I can see the problem your having. I've included two pics. One showing the wire in the tool. The other shows a slight curve I put in the wire to match the curve in the tool. I've found this helps. You want to walk the tool down the wire keeping the guide against what you're striping.
My tendency at first was to let the tool move towards the jaw. You want to move towards the barb. If it doesn't work out for you it'll be made right..no worries.

That should be helpful. Thanks

Same view that Fence posted, but with Goucho.

Barbs stripped off of the Goucho fine. I did need to hold the barb in the pocket until it was started.

Goucho 15.5 vs Tornado 14. Shameless plug.

Last two pics are close ups of Tornado and Goucho barbs. The attention to detail is evident. Not a shot at Goucho, but we have to compare ours to something.
Bigfoot, It'll probably be the week after Christmas, but I'm going to see to it that we get some Tornado Barb in your hands. I'd like to know your honest opinion of it.

Depends on the barb I guess. I use gaoucho, and it does give me some trouble pushing the barbs off..Had trouble stripping some of them myself. Of coarse, if you have this type of what used to be a 'normal' barb, good luck pushing it off.

Most good barbed wire today uses a reverse twist at the barb, but looking at it close, you can see which 2 barb points belong to the same twist, and it's usually only the 2 outside helix that are holding the barb tightly to the wire runner.

If a barb gives you trouble, it's easy enough to grab the 2 mating points with any pliers and twist the 2 ends of a pair of points just a little, then do the other 2 points and the barb usually will slip right off..with or without the tool, but the tool makes it lots easier.

Might be worth making an insert to fit inside the Gripple tool to better grab the barb tho. Maybe cut a slot into a gripple itself to slip over the wire behind the barb. Have to look into that..maybe..

learning curve....
Hardest thing I was having to remember was to keep the tool pushed up against the gripple when opening the handles to make the next 'grab' and stretch..AND to open the handles wide enough to ensure the grip release activated. If you don't open the handles wide, jaw grip stays engaged and the part of the tool with the hollow that the gripple rests in just pulls itself away from the gripple.

I haven't done a whole lot of gripple work, but I've come to like gut stretching. No matter what way I've put up wire, especially barbed wire, it's always easier to work out in the open part of the fence when stretching and not up next to the end or corner posts.
How I did it last.. that seemed to work best for me:
(yrmv)
(most of my fences are already built, so I'm either adding some extra strands to existing 5 strand fence or repairing existing fence. 400 yard runs is about the longest I see me making anymore.)
1. Make a tie on one end, either manually or with the Gripple tee clips.
Start unrolling the wire toward the end point.
2. About 1/2 way, stop and string out a comelong with a wire dog on each hook. Put one dog on the wire, pulll up about 2 feet of slack in a big 'U' and put the other dog on..make sure the dogs bite. Use a goldenrod if that's your choice..that 2 feet of slack makes sure you have wire to go thru the gripple.
3. finish unrolling the wire, pull the slack by hand as much as possible and make your end tie.
4. Go back to the comealong, cut the wire and tension with the comealong.
5. Remove the barbs as needed and install the gripple, tightening whatever slack you have between the dogs with the gripple tool.

Why I like gripples.
I can still use my hands plenty easy, but am on blood thinners big time because of cardiac problems and apt to go into Afib any time. This is from 3 days ago working with a little short of run barbed run of 22' between a gateway and corner after a little bull tussle, and yes, I wearing some good leather gloves. Looks lots worse in person but I bled like a pig and can't be doing that no more. Gripples mean I can stay pretty far away from the barb points. (I'm sure Tornado wire is good stuff, but I cringed when I saw Luke mention they had points sharp enough and long enough to hit bone..I don't need jeans, shirts and even bed sheets to get any bloodier than they already are)