Gripple contractor tool

Help Support CattleToday:

Hey. I can pop the barbs off barb wire now and never take the strand out of the tool. I have not used mine on net wire yet. Great tool.

Bright Raven":2vmxq195 said:
I see you are using the clips rather than a twist.

Raven..a skilled guy with young hands ( my son) takes 30 minutes to strip and properly neatly make off horse wire. With the tclips about 5 minutes and were getting faster.
This particular job has 52 hookups....do the math. Add to the fact that a guy not near as handy with his pliers as my son. Can do it almost as fast. And just as neat

callmefence":2f87jl0f said:
Bright Raven":2f87jl0f said:
I see you are using the clips rather than a twist.

Raven..a skilled guy with young hands ( my son) takes 30 minutes to strip and properly neatly make off horse wire. With the tclips about 5 minutes and were getting faster.
This particular job has 52 hookups....do the math. Add to the fact that a guy not near as handy with his pliers as my son. Can do it almost as fast. And just as neat

Yes sir. It is the only way to fly. Wonder why you don't see more fencers using them?

BTW: I would still trade the tool to have the dexterity in my hands that I once had. :kid:

callmefence":5ov9yiw4 said:
Is not a one trick pony. Strippin net wire is extremely tedious. Not any more.

[/ur

[url=https://postimg.org/image/kwkigr6gl/]

And once striped , stretched and hooked up.
You can use it to get a little more tension and seat your tclips.

That horse fence with 3 strands of barbed wire over the top makes a great looking security fence.

callmefence":23crb07v said:
Fence:

I been wondering. Lots of fencing tools like the gripple torque tool, use a jaw to hold the wire. Same with a Golden Rod. Those jaws leave a laceration or etching on the wire, not sure the proper term but you know what I mean. I worry that those lacerations in the wire create a place where the wire is subject to breaking.

Tell me whether I should be worried?

Well with a gripple if you're stretching or tensioning as the foreigner's say. The wire your gripping is gonna end up being trimmed off. Right.
Different deal with a goldenrod, even a wire dog. But I don't think you'll hurt high tensile wire with a goldenrod. More the other way round. It's never been a problem for me. I think you can sleep tight...

Fwiw we don't pull to full tension with either of these tools. They are for finishing a stretch and hooking up..wether it be a gut stretch like Luke does . Or stretched properly like I do...

Luke finishes in the middle. I finish at end

callmefence":1dlslmh6 said:
Well with a gripple if you're stretching or tensioning as the foreigner's say. The wire your gripping is gonna end up being trimmed off. Right.
Different deal with a goldenrod, even a wire dog. But I don't think you'll hurt high tensile wire with a goldenrod. More the other way round. It's never been a problem for me. I think you can sleep tight...

Fwiw we don't pull to full tension with either of these tools. They are for finishing a stretch and hooking up..wether it be a gut stretch like Luke does . Or stretched properly like I do...

Yes. I know what you mean by the gut stretch. I have a hard time thinking that is correct. I do end stretches with all my barb wire. Then I hold it with the Goldenrod. Which leaves the lacerations.

Bright Raven":32wz17vi said:
callmefence":32wz17vi said:

Yes. I know what you mean by the gut stretch. I have a hard time thinking that is correct. I do end stretches with all my barb wire. Then I hold it with the Goldenrod. Which leaves the lacerations.

Sounds like your doing it right to me. :nod:
If your worried about the scratches give it a squirt of cold galvanized spray paint.

As a fence builder, gripples really interested me for awhile. But not sure I see the advantage anymore. The cost seems to be a lot more substantial than crimp sleeves. I know they allow for tensioning, but we use Hayes chain grabs or permanent wire strainers for tensioning braces/smooth wire and stretcher bars for woven wire. Definitely a learning curve with these, but once you get some experience with these tools a guy can use them quite quickly and still do a good job, just takes some practice.

Right now we are using either Hayes or Kiwi sleeves(Very high quality-not the farm store junk) with nicopress crimpers from Kencove. They work very well and make a good strong join. It does take some skill to use them quickly and correctly. But compared to the gripples, 100 of them can be bought for about $15. Not sure what a 100 gripples would cost but I'm sure it would be much more.

One final thought, it almost seems as if gripples take the skill out of fence building. I may just be weird, but I enjoying tying off wires by hand and making a good-clean looking wrap. If I want to confuse the new guy on the crew I just start snapping off wires when I'm tying off high-tensile :lol:

Not trying to start an argument or anything, just my :2cents: on the topic. I know some fence contractors around here who use gripples and they all put up good strong fences.

Ron, you'll risk doing more damage (and not much then ) tying and stapling than you will with goldenrod or gripple tool's little jaws. But, I've lately followed Fenceman's lead and mostly use wire dogs on shackles with a golden rod or comealong. Not because the dogs don't have jaws, but just because they hold better. Tighter you pull, the more they grip.

fence_it":h53cy1m2 said:
One final thought, it almost seems as if gripples take the skill out of fence building. I may just be weird, but I enjoying tying off wires by hand and making a good-clean looking wrap. If I want to confuse the new guy on the crew I just start snapping off wires when I'm tying off high-tensile :lol:

They can't if you don't have fencing skill to Start with. Like me. Lol

It helps me a lot. I like the brace kit. None of my braces before the torque tool would hold tension with brace wire because I didn't do enough of them to obtain the necessary skill. I can do that with the gripple torque tool. I guess it may be cheating but for the land owner who builds and maintains just his own fence, it is literally, another tool in the box.

I've been putting off saying this for a while--------I have no idea what yaw are talking about, when yaw describe how you stretch wire.

1. My goldenrod wouldn't even begin to stretch wire tight enough to be considered adaquet.

2. Will pulling from the middle, with nothing but a gripple sufficiently tighten barbed wire?

3. If I can get my tractor where it needs to be, I tighten wire with it. To the point of almost breaking, and occasionally does. Is this why my fences give me fits? Are they too tight?

Bigfoot":1caxin98 said:
I've been putting off saying this for a while--------I have no idea what yaw are talking about, when yaw describe how you stretch wire.

1. My goldenrod wouldn't even begin to stretch wire tight enough to be considered adaquet.

2. Will pulling from the middle, with nothing but a gripple sufficiently tighten barbed wire?

3. If I can get my tractor where it needs to be, I tighten wire with it. To the point of almost breaking, and occasionally does. Is this why my fences give me fits? Are they too tight?

Bigfoot, I stretch barb wire with a come along. Then use the Goldenrod to hold, tie off and staple. Only time I use it to stretch is on very short runs or minor repairs.

On the gut stretching. I think that is only with woven or repairs of broken barb wire. I have not been advised by Luke or Fence to stretch barb wire from the middle.

Bright Raven":2y6lj1lm said:
fence_it":2y6lj1lm said:

They can't if you don't have fencing skill to Start with. Like me. Lol

It helps me a lot. I like the brace kit. None of my braces before the torque tool would hold tension with brace wire because I didn't do enough of them to obtain the necessary skill. I can do that with the gripple torque tool. I guess it may be cheating but for the land owner who builds and maintains just his own fence, it is literally, another tool in the box.

I thought you got the Contractor Tool.....not the Torq Tool?????

Bigfoot":91qksw64 said:

2: Yes, you can get wire plenty tight with a Gripple and Contractor Tool.

3: This makes cringe just a little. :lol:

You would be pleasantly surprised at the quality difference in our wire. We even have the light gauge that your dad is after for his Christmas gift.

Latest posts