Gripple contractor tool

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":3l0vpxq2 said:
I've been putting off saying this for a while--------I have no idea what yaw are talking about, when yaw describe how you stretch wire.

1. My goldenrod wouldn't even begin to stretch wire tight enough to be considered adaquet.

2. Will pulling from the middle, with nothing but a gripple sufficiently tighten barbed wire?

3. If I can get my tractor where it needs to be, I tighten wire with it. To the point of almost breaking, and occasionally does. Is this why my fences give me fits? Are they too tight?

We don't use the goldenrod to stretch except on very short stretches. Use a come along and wire dog. Use the goldenrod to take up slack between the dog and the post. Or to hold the wire if you pull past the post. And yes you should be pulling to near breaking point. It's the only way to get all the stretch out. If you don't get all the stretch out it will get loose.
What kinda fits are you having?????

Farm Fence Solutions":2dca89az said:
Bright Raven":2dca89az said:
fence_it":2dca89az said:
One final thought, it almost seems as if gripples take the skill out of fence building. I may just be weird, but I enjoying tying off wires by hand and making a good-clean looking wrap. If I want to confuse the new guy on the crew I just start snapping off wires when I'm tying off high-tensile :lol:

They can't if you don't have fencing skill to Start with. Like me. Lol

It helps me a lot. I like the brace kit. None of my braces before the torque tool would hold tension with brace wire because I didn't do enough of them to obtain the necessary skill. I can do that with the gripple torque tool. I guess it may be cheating but for the land owner who builds and maintains just his own fence, it is literally, another tool in the box.

I thought you got the Contractor Tool.....not the Torq Tool?????

Sorry. You are correct.
Luke, I picked up that term in one of the videos.

Farm Fence Solutions":2z54xdms said:
Bigfoot":2z54xdms said:
I've been putting off saying this for a while--------I have no idea what yaw are talking about, when yaw describe how you stretch wire.

1. My goldenrod wouldn't even begin to stretch wire tight enough to be considered adaquet.

2. Will pulling from the middle, with nothing but a gripple sufficiently tighten barbed wire?

3. If I can get my tractor where it needs to be, I tighten wire with it. To the point of almost breaking, and occasionally does. Is this why my fences give me fits? Are they too tight?

2: Yes, you can get wire plenty tight with a Gripple and Contractor Tool.

3: This makes cringe just a little. :lol:

You would be pleasantly surprised at the quality difference in our wire. We even have the light gauge that your dad is after for his Christmas gift.

On a half mile pull... your using something before the gripple and contractor tool????

You'd be strippin barbs till kingdom come.

fence_it":16xtxc48 said:
As a fence builder, gripples really interested me for awhile. But not sure I see the advantage anymore. The cost seems to be a lot more substantial than crimp sleeves. I know they allow for tensioning, but we use Hayes chain grabs or permanent wire strainers for tensioning braces/smooth wire and stretcher bars for woven wire. Definitely a learning curve with these, but once you get some experience with these tools a guy can use them quite quickly and still do a good job, just takes some practice.

Right now we are using either Hayes or Kiwi sleeves(Very high quality-not the farm store junk) with nicopress crimpers from Kencove. They work very well and make a good strong join. It does take some skill to use them quickly and correctly. But compared to the gripples, 100 of them can be bought for about $15. Not sure what a 100 gripples would cost but I'm sure it would be much more.

One final thought, it almost seems as if gripples take the skill out of fence building. I may just be weird, but I enjoying tying off wires by hand and making a good-clean looking wrap. If I want to confuse the new guy on the crew I just start snapping off wires when I'm tying off high-tensile :lol:

Not trying to start an argument or anything, just my :2cents: on the topic. I know some fence contractors around here who use gripples and they all put up good strong fences.

I like being skilled at what I do, but there is also a business side to what we do. Gripples are a business decision. I think that knot tying skills are invaluable to a professional fencer. Termination knot, Tex Brown, figure 8, reef knot...... I use em all, but I'm sure not scared to use a Gripple, especially when it makes a better fence.

Luke,

When would it be advisable to go to the middle of a strand of tornado barb wire (the only brand I would use), and stretch with a gripple?

I can see doing that with woven but seems like when you are using single strand wire, it is far easier to stretch at the end you are attaching.

Bright Raven":2n1r225d said:
Bigfoot":2n1r225d said:

Bigfoot, I stretch barb wire with a come along. Then use the Goldenrod to hold, tie off and staple. Only time I use it to stretch is on very short runs or minor repairs.

On the gut stretching. I think that is only with woven or repairs of broken barb wire. I have not been advised by Luke or Fence to stretch barb wire from the middle.

I am now advising you to gut strain your barbed wire. :D

Farm Fence Solutions":2rpswslu said:
Bright Raven":2rpswslu said:
Bigfoot":2rpswslu said:

Bigfoot, I stretch barb wire with a come along. Then use the Goldenrod to hold, tie off and staple. Only time I use it to stretch is on very short runs or minor repairs.

On the gut stretching. I think that is only with woven or repairs of broken barb wire. I have not been advised by Luke or Fence to stretch barb wire from the middle.

I am now advising you to gut strain your barbed wire. :D

I guess if your doctor prescribed lots of extra walking around that's the way to do it.... :D

Quite honestly. I'm having a hard time seeing the advantage in a mile roll of wire. To go back and cut it several times and put gripples in.
Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of both.. just saying.

Farm Fence Solutions":98wuhn50 said:
https://www.farmfencesolutions.com/product/strainrite-502-wire-strainer/

This is how we take the bulk of our slack out of a long run before we go to the Gripple. Ron, I use a Gripple 100% of the time in barb wire. In rough terrain, I'm liable to put a half dozen in a long stretch, just to make life easier.

I can get on board with what you are doing but that is mind boggling to most who were raised and taught to never splice if you didn't have to. I'm getting ready to put up 10,000 or so feet of HT cross fencing and am planning on using gripples as my tension devices. My buddy who bought the tool kit from you likes the heck out of it. I'll be ordering one soon.

I ordered the Gripple contracting tool, and 100 medium gripples. I like to think, that I'm not too old to still achieve personal growth. If it's the best way, then I'll give it a try.

callmefence":4gu2cdd2 said:
Quite honestly. I'm having a hard time seeing the advantage in a mile roll of wire. To go back and cut it several times and put gripples in.

I mostly like the big rolls because they look cool.

Farm Fence Solutions":2bz12ec6 said:
callmefence":2bz12ec6 said:

Man ain't that the truth. I can't wait to put a couple them suckers on the back of my truck.

callmefence":312xupmp said:
Farm Fence Solutions":312xupmp said:
callmefence":312xupmp said:

Man ain't that the truth. I can't wait to put a couple them suckers on the back of my truck.

Does this giant roll of wire make my other roll of wire look big? Yes, that is the new and improved Jackhawk 9000 unroller......Only available at Farm Fence Solutions. :lol:

J&D Cattle":y2z2hi37 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":y2z2hi37 said:

This is how we take the bulk of our slack out of a long run before we go to the Gripple. Ron, I use a Gripple 100% of the time in barb wire. In rough terrain, I'm liable to put a half dozen in a long stretch, just to make life easier.

I can get on board with what you are doing but that is mind boggling to most who were raised and taught to never splice if you didn't have to. I'm getting ready to put up 10,000 or so feet of HT cross fencing and am planning on using gripples as my tension devices. My buddy who bought the tool kit from you likes the heck out of it. I'll be ordering one soon.

Will some one post a video of gripples being used like this. I know nothing of them really, but am always game to learn a better way. Been using ratchet strainers for this...

Farm Fence Solutions":14smva0v said:
callmefence":14smva0v said:
Farm Fence Solutions":14smva0v said:

Does this giant roll of wire make my other roll of wire look big? Yes, that is the new and improved Jackhawk 9000 unroller......Only available at Farm Fence Solutions. :lol:

My jaybird 1000 :frowns:

bball":dgcwgzpc said:
J&D Cattle":dgcwgzpc said:
Farm Fence Solutions":dgcwgzpc said:

Will some one post a video of gripples being used like this. I know nothing of them really, but am always game to learn a better way. Been using ratchet strainers for this...

https://youtu.be/llolfTnAe0I

https://youtu.be/N3maSOqMNJg

https://www.farmfencesolutions.com/product-tag/gripple/

bball":36adswxb said:
Same here. I started building fence under my Dad's tutelage in '64 and when I first came to CT and the rest of the internet, I thought not only was my way of doing it the best way, thought it was the ONLY way too.
Was I ever wrong...and we're lucky to have guys like the fencing pros (and every day farmers) here sharing their tips and tricks with us.
It says lots about them too.
Try asking for advice at somewhere like an auto dealership, plumbing outfit, electric contractor, or computer shop and you get the impression they think you're holding a gun and asking for their paycheck.

callmefence":qsybks7u said:
bball":qsybks7u said:
J&D Cattle":qsybks7u said:

https://youtu.be/llolfTnAe0I

https://youtu.be/N3maSOqMNJg

https://www.farmfencesolutions.com/product-tag/gripple/

Luke/Fence:

When you guys gut strain barb wire. Do you roll the entire strand out between the two posts, tie it off on each end, then go to the center cut it and thread the two ends into a gripple? Or What? I guess there are many ways. I wonder what your routine is.

Latest posts