fencing tool

Help Support CattleToday:

I think there is a thread on this one by ISO or Dun. or its similar TS carries one kinda like it. I use a phillips screw driver

TennesseeTuxedo":1v83ahcg said:
M5farm":1v83ahcg said:
12.99 at tractor supply- same brand

But these guys say if you buy 2 they'll send you a 3rd for free!

Top that Tractor Supply Co.

The only thing I got free from tractor supply is a " HARD TIME". See yall later im going to the sale barn just realized sale started 20 mins ago lol

TennesseeTuxedo":f28ng4et said:
M5farm":f28ng4et said:
12.99 at tractor supply- same brand

But these guys say if you buy 2 they'll send you a 3rd for free!

Top that Tractor Supply Co.

but you pay 10.00 S&H so no its not Completely free

what ever floats yer boat. I despise having to wait on something to come in the mail.

TennesseeTuxedo":1dv077hb said:
I agree with you M5. When I need it I need it and I like go and GET IT.

I do order a fair share of stuff online however, depending on price, value, shipping and whether or not they collect TN sales tax.

I do very little and it has be a substantial savings. I believe if you spend money in a community it will stay in the community even if I have to pay more for it.

TennesseeTuxedo":34rxssxr said:
Very true and even more important when you live in a small town. I live in a large metro area so I'm more interested in the savings to be found online.
I understand and God bless you.

skyhightree1":1342cnkk said:
has anyone seen this tool before looks pretty neat I may order one. If you have one can you tell me the good and bad of it ?
http://www.clipbender.com/
Yes, I have that exact tool--acquired from McCoys for about $10. I do not like it and I'll show you why. Every tpost clip I ever used looks like one of these below:
toolk.jpg

It works great if your clip looks like #2--works only sometimes if your clip looks like #1, and not worth a crap if your clip looks like #3.
The way the tool works, is you slip the clip into position as always, with the hook on the wire--then slip the rod end of the tool into the "U" part of the clip and bend it over the wire. Sounds simple enough, but most clips nowadays don't have a perfectly shaped "U" like #1 and most aren't closed like #2. I did a little alteration to illustrate what all the clips I see now look like--with the end of #3's "U" actually bent out at an angle a little bit instead of being straight or closed. When you stick the rod in and try to rotate the "U" around, it moves just a little, then the end part just bends on out to the right (as viewed in #3 lower right) and the tool slips off with the clip just dangling. The fix, is to take a pair of pliers, and close the"u" of each clip up some or completely, and that works perfect--for that side, but who wants to have to do some bending of every clip before you even start when you have 100s of clips to put on??

The other thing I don't like is on the other side. When you slip the hook side into the hole of the tool, and begin to bend it around the wire, you only get a few degrees of twist before the clip end pulls out of the hole, leaving a loose clip.
If you have good quality clips with a nice straight "U" and the other side is a little longer, it might work great, but that hasn't been my experience with the clips that come with Tee posts around here.
Your results may vary.
btw, that nice shiny tool is not zinc coated or chromed, it rusts the 1st time it gets damp.

I usually use a pair of these:
nippers.jpg

You get a good tight twist on both sides every time, quick and easy. Make sure you get a pair with handles short enough (<10") to fit between the wire strands. Spring loaded "open" is also a plus.

Don't get me wrong tho, theclip tool "should" work right IF the clips are quality made like #1 and #2, and if I took the time to close up the "U" on each one, it does, but if I have to pick up a pair of pliers for each clip, I may as well pick up my nippers and just use them.

If I want to close th open end I jsy use the clip tool. Also works real well on field fence where there isn;t much room in some spots to use anything bigger.

greybeard":1rodmqa4 said:
I usually use a pair of these:
nippers.jpg

You get a good tight twist on both sides every time, quick and easy. Make sure you get a pair with handles short enough (<10") to fit between the wire strands. Spring loaded "open" is also a plus.

Don't get me wrong tho, theclip tool "should" work right IF the clips are quality made like #1 and #2, and if I took the time to close up the "U" on each one, it does, but if I have to pick up a pair of pliers for each clip, I may as well pick up my nippers and just use them.

Thanks GB.

Latest posts