My Favorite Gripple Tool Function...

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
....is the brace kit. I put a brace in this morning. Used the center pins on the brace pole, and the Gripple cable. Made a nice brace in 1/4 the time brace wire takes. And I never get good results with brace wire.
2n0j3p5.jpg

25uicf9.jpg

Your wire looks good and tight! My employer has some barb wire I should tighten up for him (the cows have it pushed down so they can just walk right through in one spot)

They do save a pile of time. I have put a few in and can put up braces in 1/2 the time. Not to mention safer as I am always worried I might lose my grip on stay as I am twisting brace wires.

I used one earlier today to try to extend the track adjustment cylinder on my dozer. It didn't work but the gripples didn't fail. The very high tensile wire broke. Got it on video . When I get a better signal I'll post it.

I really like the idea of using cable. How well do the gripples work on 12.5ga HT brace wire? I've been told that the cam in the gripple can sometimes cut the HT wire or they will sometimes slip when stretching HT fixed knot off of the brace. I like my brace wire tight and I know the chain grabs we use right now put out near 800 lbs of pull if I remember right? How tight can a gripple get 2 wraps of 12.5 200ksi HT?

Ron, how is the cable attached at the base of the corner post? I cant tell in the pic?

bball":3vszpm6n said:
Ron, how is the cable attached at the base of the corner post? I cant tell in the pic?

That end has a fixed loop. You thread the cable through that loop. Then you take the free end up to the other post. Go around it and through the Gripple. Then you put the Gripple Tool on the Gripple and tension the cable. Very easy. And very tight.

Edited to add: just like brace wire, you drive a staple in to hold the ends of the cable where you want them.

fence_it":qep26otn said:
I really like the idea of using cable. How well do the gripples work on 12.5ga HT brace wire? I've been told that the cam in the gripple can sometimes cut the HT wire or they will sometimes slip when stretching HT fixed knot off of the brace. I like my brace wire tight and I know the chain grabs we use right now put out near 800 lbs of pull if I remember right? How tight can a gripple get 2 wraps of 12.5 200ksi HT?

I'm not saying that a failure is impossible, but they don't slip, they get plenty tight, and they increase profit margin....unless you don't put any value on time. We don't have brace failures, and I don't know of anyone that gets wire any tighter than us. The original Gripples has some issues, but that was resolved many years ago with the Gripple Plus.

Is that a landscape timber from lowes you are using for a brace? I used them a few years ago on some fence. Most of them bowed out I guess because of the pressure and some have already started to rot. I want make that mistake again even though they are cheap.

pricefarm":2j0buc9v said:
Is that a landscape timber from lowes you are using for a brace? I used them a few years ago on some fence. Most of them bowed out I guess because of the pressure and some have already started to rot. I want make that mistake again even though they are cheap.

Yes. It is. And if you look, they did bow under the pressure. Interesting. I had that thought today. I thought it might be a mistake!!!

Bright Raven":5dn1dulp said:
pricefarm":5dn1dulp said:

Yes. It is. And if you look, they did bow under the pressure. Interesting. I had that thought today. I thought it might be a mistake!!!

Good thing you used a Gripple. Let it out and put a proper strut in there. :D

Farm Fence Solutions":lxyvdt9h said:
Bright Raven":lxyvdt9h said:
pricefarm":lxyvdt9h said:

What do you use?

Bright Raven":2qrurqro said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2qrurqro said:
Bright Raven":2qrurqro said:

What do you use?

A 10-12' 5" post, or galvanized pipe.

Farm Fence Solutions":3gbuf2uk said:
Bright Raven":3gbuf2uk said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3gbuf2uk said:

What do you use?

I thought these would be perfect. 10 foot treated but it did bow. They are squared off and about 4 inches. Hey, how would you get a new brace in if they got pins in each end without removing the post?

Bright Raven":pp7yieti said:
Farm Fence Solutions":pp7yieti said:
Bright Raven":pp7yieti said:
What do you use?

I thought these would be perfect. 10 foot treated but it did bow. They are squared off and about 4 inches. Hey, how would you get a new brace in if they got pins in each end without removing the post?

Pin a new strut in under the old one......Cut it long and beat it in with a BFH. Chainsaw will get the old one out.

Farm Fence Solutions":12l2ohcw said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sokwrC8DhVA&t=266s

This is how we build a timber brace.

You are using brace wire. I got the cable kit with the fixed loop at the end.