Goodbye Gimli

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven":3s4iaia4 said:
Muddy":3s4iaia4 said:
You sound like very confident about her...

She will point out the trademark features. I have picked it up a little but not even close to her level.
Why not let her speak up for herself?

Muddy":2a4q7oqg said:
Bright Raven":2a4q7oqg said:
Muddy":2a4q7oqg said:
You sound like very confident about her...

She will point out the trademark features. I have picked it up a little but not even close to her level.
Why not let her speak up for herself?

That implys that I have authorities that I don't have! She can do whatever she wants. And you can tell her I said that!!! Lol

Muddy":sncnpxka said:
Anyone wanna make a bet that Elkc, Fire Sweep and Alacowman can tell a Black Angus from the rest of black breeds? By the black breeds, I meant ALL of them.

I think I would take that bet. I think they, and others could as well. The only two I sometimes mess up on are black Limousin and Gelbvieh. Depends on how fit they are.

76 Bar":3is1azxz said:
Apologies for the thread drift and assuredly not bashing Angus as I've used plenty over the years. Merely food for thought and IMO applicable to the majority of mainstream breeds e.g. the unending quest of seedstock breeders to be the end all and making a silk purse out of sows ear. :roll:
http://www.noahsangusranch.com/Docs/Sinclair11SpringNews_Houghindd.pdf

I don't think the OP has a problem with what you posted. There is a vast difference between debating topics and trolling topics. There are some (not many) who apply input with only the intent to start a fussing/belittling match, or to try making others view the troller as experts. Doesn't usually work out too well for them.

Muddy":2ji5pm0z said:
Anyone wanna make a bet that Elkc, Fire Sweep and Alacowman can tell a Black Angus from the rest of black breeds? By the black breeds, I meant ALL of them.
From my observations I imagine Jeanne can also. And most order/feeder buyers I know can in the few seconds they are in the ring. Of course that is how they make their living.

elkwc":octche6k said:
Muddy":octche6k said:
From my observations I imagine Jeanne can also. And most order/feeder buyers I know can in the few seconds they are in the ring. Of course that is how they make their living.
Very interesting... :roll:

elkwc":3a0bnen6 said:
Muddy":3a0bnen6 said:
They're looking for quality cattle.. How does this work for CAB? I can't remember, is a black hide all it takes? personal judgement on if it has a certain angus percentage? Or does it take a paper trail (I've never seen that at our auctions)

Nesikep":3gdqkhhk said:
elkwc":3gdqkhhk said:
Muddy":3gdqkhhk said:
They're looking for quality cattle.. How does this work for CAB? I can't remember, is a black hide all it takes? personal judgement on if it has a certain angus percentage? Or does it take a paper trail (I've never seen that at our auctions)
All I know is that they didn't do DNA testing their black calves they brought from the sale barns...these folks who can pick out an Angus bull from the other black breeds....are full of themselves.

I have angus cross and sim cross black calves here, easily tell the difference on head shape alone. But I also know which cows were at what pastures, with what bulls... for back up.

Nesikep":ju11yp1s said:
elkwc":ju11yp1s said:
Muddy":ju11yp1s said:

I understand it is supposed to be 51% black hided. I know of a few feeders who were surprised when some of theirs was accepted and they had a small percentage of Angus at the most in them.

I won't claim to be able to tell you what breeds is in a bull. What I do feel I can tell and what I make buying decisions on is if an Angus or a Hereford bull is at least fairly pure. There are many features I look at. I was fortunate that when I was young I was exposed to thousands of old foundation cattle of both breeds. Both breeds had certain features which can be mainly found in herds that linebreed older lines today. Again this is JMO and I don't try to force it on anyone. But I do have order/feeder buyer friends who are very good at it. I have seen them not bid on certain groups because of what they saw and later when I would talk to the seller I would find they were correct. They were crosses. Black hides many things to some but to the trained eye it don't hide as much.

Muddy":1u73nnw6 said:
Elkc, what traits that separate Angus from other black breeds that has Angus genetics?

The whole animal. From the feet up. Many times the obvious are the head, neck, muscle pattern and overall type. This is a Hereford but had a young breeder call me about a Hereford bull he bought this spring of old bloodlines. Said his neck was so thick they couldn't catch his head in a manual chute. Many of the Angus and Hereford bulls of the past had that. They have that masculine look to their head and neck. Today many have what I call a dairy head and neck. I feel certain the 2 y/o Angus I retained and using isn't pure. He could of been registered but he has too many features that don't fit what I call a pure Angus. I feel he will help us or I wouldn't have kept him but I don't try to fool myself and say he is pure. If he will sire a uniform set of calves and pass along his growth and bone then he will likely stay around a while. The same with the Hereford bull I bought. I didn't catch a crossed bull in his bloodlines when I did a cell phone search. Again as long as I have no issues and I get the desired hybrid vigor he will likely stay a few years. If I don't get the vigor, or get solid black calves or experience genetic issues he will be gone. Again I accept he isn't pure although he has papers. I didn't feel he was when I looked at him but didn't find anything that stood out in a initial 3 generation search. Again he don't fit the pattern of an pure Hereford IMO. We each are entitled to our opinion and the right to express it. Doesn't make it right or wrong.

76 Bar":mac3fss9 said:
For Nesi and inquiring minds...CAB specs:
https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/brand/specs.php
The above was updated recently regarding regarding color e.g. excessive white:
http://www.uspremiumbeef.com/DocumentItem.aspx?ID=126
Commentary from Beef Magazine from March 2017.
https://www.beefmagazine.com/beef-quality/what-makes-fed-cattle-qualify-certified-angus-beef

The CAB topic has been discussed here previously. There are several threads on CAB. I just looked at one. I posted this in the thread below. CAB does not market beef. They market their Trademark.

Most of the users may know this but I was curious. In case anyone is interested.

Certified Angus Beef is a Limited Liability Company held as a subsidiary of the American Angus Association. According to the lady who just answered the phone at 330 345 2333, Wooster, Ohio, the LLC does not own, manage or market one single ounce of beef.

They market the CAR Trademark. They sell the rights to use their Trademark to companies in the meat packing industry who meet the Certified Angus Beef criteria. Those companies can then cut, package and sticker their product with the Certified Angus Beef registered Trademark.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=109122&p=1415697&hilit=CAB#p1415697

Presumed the topic had been previously discussed. Nomenclature e.g. Certified Angus Beef is obviously a misnomer and patently erroneous. PT Barnum woulda loved it. ;-)

76 Bar":3arqrhon said:
Presumed the topic had been previously discussed. Nomenclature e.g. Certified Angus Beef is obviously a misnomer and patently erroneous. PT Barnum woulda loved it. ;-)

I understand your point but this is a capitalist nation. The practice of naming products with misleading labels to attract sales is as common as house flies.

Latest posts