Goodbye Gimli

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
:cry2:

Poor little Gimli is leaving home. They just grow up too fast. :cry2:

Gimli got his name from Callmefence. Born 10/7/2017. Sired by the Legendary Bull HPF Optimizer. Gimli has a personality. Very gentle.

aetna0.jpg

2ljg5jb.jpg

24quz41.jpg

6fqx6d.jpg

kentuckyguy":33bq53qc said:
Looks like he's filled out even more Ron

He looks good

I say, he has more white than some folks might like, but that guy has some muscle on a nice moderate frame. I like him a lot.

Gators Rule":t330yctd said:
He's a tank! Probably not a tall tank, but is going to be a good bull. Probably going to make some nice Black Herefords!! :compute:

His Dam is a very nice cow. This is her third calf. Her sire is Ruby's Wide Open. She has a beautiful udder, moderate frame and packs a lot of flesh on her frame. His Sire, HPF Optimizer is becoming one of my favorite AI Sires. Optimizer can throw a lot of white as Gimli demonstrates. But don't count on him to put that white face on every calf. On mostly black cows, he might disappoint if the buyer expects to make all black baldies. The bull next to him is also an Optimizer and he does not have a single white hair. I have been getting the white when you match Optimizer with a cow that has some white.

Bright Raven":3da0n43w said:

Gimli got his name from Callmefence. Born 10/7/2017. Sired by the Legendary Bull HPF Optimizer. Gimli has a personality. Very gentle.

So I take it Fence is a Tolkien fan?

Rafter S":bvl6yanm said:
Bright Raven":bvl6yanm said:

Dam straight.... when the heat gets to much to bear. I find a big live oak, preferably by a live creek. I pull a bottle of fine wine from my yeti. And lay back and read tales of the hobbits.

True grit did tell me to slow down and smell the flowers you Know.

callmefence":31cddao3 said:
Rafter S":31cddao3 said:
Bright Raven":31cddao3 said:

Dam straight.... when the heat gets to much to bear. I find a big live oak, preferably by a live creek. I pull a bottle of fine wine from my yeti. And lay back and read tales of the hobbits.

True grit did tell me to slow down and smell the flowers you Know.
I'm glad you finally figured out how good Yeti type coolers are.

He's filled out nicely. Going to make some babies or some beef?

Fence, what are you drinking that requires a cooler? Red wine should be room temp. White wine is for sobering up. Don't get me started on moscato.....

He looks nice.. .As far as the white, it seems to be like with my last bull Marko.. bred to a cow with no white, you'll get a solid colored calf, if the cow has white, you get more white than either parent has.. a multiplicative effect.

Good lookin' bull . . . . . . . . he reminds me of a saying that of one of my buddy's that is 6'4" and 320 lbs says . . . . . . "to fat to f*** " . . . . . . . . :lol:

Nice beefy bull...……….question, his back legs....they seem in the picture posty? or is this just the angle. The one bull we almost sold back legs look like this and the reason we considered selling him. He grew into those legs, he's uber tall, and they don't look as posty…..

cowgirl8":154znej2 said:
Nice beefy bull...……….question, his back legs....they seem in the picture posty? or is this just the angle. The one bull we almost sold back legs look like this and the reason we considered selling him. He grew into those legs, he's uber tall, and they don't look as posty…..

Linda, they do look that way in the pictures. When he walks he is fine.

I see it in most of my pictures. Seems like when you take pictures they set up on their back legs and they look posty. The best way to evaluate is a video of them walking.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3rhbm2yz said:
I wish Boot Jack would comment. I think he is really full of meat/muscle. Should put some pounds into his calves.

I am flattered Jeanne. In re Gimli, I think overall, he is a pretty good bull prospect. I like his top line, depth of rib, and that he has a ton of natural muscle expression. He is carrying a nice amount of condition, where he has a bit of bloom, but you can still see the muscle creases. He is well-balanced and wide (side note, he beats the black hands down for width in his pins!) I love that he carries muscle low in his twist and gaskins. As others have said, he has plenty of chrome. I personally don't want a beef animal (or goat or horse for that matter) with white feet. I don't love the lack of set/angle on the rear legs (a common issues in most continental breeds) and he gives up a bit of masculinity in his front third. I would think he would make awesome steers, and mated right, could make some female with real performance. :2cents:

Boot Jack Bulls":3aq8l47z said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3aq8l47z said:
I wish Boot Jack would comment. I think he is really full of meat/muscle. Should put some pounds into his calves.

I am flattered Jeanne. In re Gimli, I think overall, he is a pretty good bull prospect. I like his top line, depth of rib, and that he has a ton of natural muscle expression. He is carrying a nice amount of condition, where he has a bit of bloom, but you can still see the muscle creases. He is well-balanced and wide (side note, he beats the black hands down for width in his pins!) I love that he carries muscle low in his twist and gaskins. As others have said, he has plenty of chrome. I personally don't want a beef animal (or goat or horse for that matter) with white feet. I don't love the lack of set/angle on the rear legs (a common issues in most continental breeds) and he gives up a bit of masculinity in his front third. I would think he would make awesome steers, and mated right, could make some female with real performance. :2cents:

That is a great assessment. The party that bought him is using him on a herd of commercial non-pedigreed cows. Mostly a mix bunch of "black cows". The buyer liked the compact frame and all the "volume".

Regarding the set/angle to the rear legs. You made a point that confirms what I have studied and in the area of form, I am a STUDENT. I see what folks call "post" legged to some degree in most cattle depending on how they stand. When pictured, getting one leg in advance of the other certainly diminishes the appearance of post leg. As you say, I see it commonly even in the pictures of stud bulls placed in the major semen catalogs. Particularly if their back legs are together and they are in a position where the weight is being held toward the posterior.

I believe it is easier to spot when they are set square, but they should be evaluated in a natural stop and on the move for a good read on their structure. You should be able to drop an imaginary line from the back side of the pin joint strait down, and have it hit the back side of the hock and stay along the back of the cannon bone all the way to the fetlock. On the other hand, you want to avoid a banana leg, where the line would hit the hock, but the cannon and pastern would be well ahead of the line. Also avoid a leg set where the cannon is straight up and down, but the line is set behind the pin and the animal has "structure outside itself".

I am flattered Jeanne. In re Gimli, I think overall, he is a pretty good bull prospect. I like his top line, depth of rib, and that he has a ton of natural muscle expression. He is carrying a nice amount of condition, where he has a bit of bloom, but you can still see the muscle creases. He is well-balanced and wide (side note, he beats the black hands down for width in his pins!) I love that he carries muscle low in his twist and gaskins. As others have said, he has plenty of chrome. I personally don't want a beef animal (or goat or horse for that matter) with white feet. I don't love the lack of set/angle on the rear legs (a common issues in most continental breeds) and he gives up a bit of masculinity in his front third. I would think he would make awesome steers, and mated right, could make some female with real performance. :2cents:[/quote]

Curious why you don't want any white feet?

Latest posts