Goodbye Gimli

Help Support CattleToday:

We have clay and rocks. No loam or sand to speak of. White horn seems softer and more prone to disease and injury.

Boot Jack Bulls":r8eao6bk said:
We have clay and rocks. No loam or sand to speak of. White horn seems softer and more prone to disease and injury.

Do you have a reference to support that? I have heard that but never seen a study to back it up.

Bright Raven":148zhjr2 said:
Boot Jack Bulls":148zhjr2 said:

Do you have a reference to support that? I have heard that but never seen a study to back it up.
No, but 30+ years with registered app horses taught me. My observation has been that white horn has been more prone to thrush, punture, pancaking and cracking. White hide on lower legs is also more prone to pasture scald and a condition called scratches.

Boot Jack Bulls":hgejmds0 said:
Bright Raven":hgejmds0 said:
Boot Jack Bulls":hgejmds0 said:

No, but 30+ years with registered app horses taught me. My observation has been that white horn has been more prone to thrush, punture, pancaking and cracking. White hide on lower legs is also more prone to pasture scald and a condition called scratches.

Thank you.

Bright Raven":ywb909ke said:
Boot Jack Bulls":ywb909ke said:
Bright Raven":ywb909ke said:

Thank you.
You're welcome.

Bright Raven":4rxyogt3 said:
Boot Jack Bulls":4rxyogt3 said:

BR I shodhorses for several years. A white footed horse had a softer foot wall and harder to keep a shoe tight on. I never saw any disease issues. A few of the best horses I ever put shoes on had white feet. And the reason I got one was because other shoers couldn't keep a shoe on him. I usually changed their shoes at least a week earlier than normal. On cattle I've seen them run in rocky country and never seen a lot of trouble. Once the rocks trim them up I'm not sure if they get harder or what but they seem to do ok. I don't like white feet but it isn't a deal breaker for me. Know for some old timers it was. It depends on a persons personal experience.

elkwc":3l3kyouo said:
Bright Raven":3l3kyouo said:
Boot Jack Bulls":3l3kyouo said:

BR I shodhorses for several years. A white footed horse had a softer foot wall and harder to keep a shoe tight on. I never saw any disease issues. A few of the best horses I ever put shoes on had white feet. And the reason I got one was because other shoers couldn't keep a shoe on him. I usually changed their shoes at least a week earlier than normal. On cattle I've seen them run in rocky country and never seen a lot of trouble. Once the rocks trim them up I'm not sure if they get harder or what but they seem to do ok. I don't like white feet but it isn't a deal breaker for me. Know for some old timers it was. It depends on a persons personal experience.

Thanks. I am always a little skeptical of anecdotal evidence. Just my nature. I appreciate getting information from guys like you and Boot Jack, but I think she is not a guy! Thank you both. I have a feeling he will do fine on those feet.

Raven, you are correct, I am female. Also, I hope you don't have the impression I don't appreciate what your bull brings to the table, but I do prefer dark feet. I enjoy evaluating various stock and enjoy a good debate, that is all.

Boot Jack Bulls":13xa9ru1 said:
Raven, you are correct, I am female. Also, I hope you don't have the impression I don't appreciate what your bull brings to the table, but I do prefer dark feet. I enjoy evaluating various stock and enjoy a good debate, that is all.

I appreciate your input. Evaluating stock is as they say "arbitrary and capricious". It is not as easy as math where right or wrong is precise. I enjoy it immensely.

I am happy that you have an overall good impression of the bull. He has a good pedigree and his EPDs are very good.

I got you on my good list. ;-)

Bright Raven":hyyud716 said:
elkwc":hyyud716 said:
Bright Raven":hyyud716 said:

Thanks. I am always a little skeptical of anecdotal evidence. Just my nature. I appreciate getting information from guys like you and Boot Jack, but I think she is not a guy! Thank you both. I have a feeling he will do fine on those feet.

When we had predominantly hereford cows, they routinely had bad (white) feet, but there were a few bloodlines that never had a problem.
25 years later, and about 5 generations down the line, most of the animals have dark hooves, because we heard the same anecdotal evidence way back then.. however, the maternal lines that had problems back then still have them now, even after dark hooves for generations.. Meanwhile, the lines that never had problems have progeny with white hooves (at least a couple white socks), and they have perfect feet that wear well even into old age.

True Grit Farms":37o4arn2 said:
callmefence":37o4arn2 said:
Rafter S":37o4arn2 said:
So I take it Fence is a Tolkien fan?

Dam straight.... when the heat gets to much to bear. I find a big live oak, preferably by a live creek. I pull a bottle of fine wine from my yeti. And lay back and read tales of the hobbits.

True grit did tell me to slow down and smell the flowers you Know.
I'm glad you finally figured out how good Yeti type coolers are.

Not overly impressed with ice keeping ability but it's one tough sob. If you pretty much live out of a cooler on the back of a flatbed...Worth every penny.

There is no doubt that white feet are softer than black feet in sheep, as attested to by trimming many hundreds of them over the years.
They also seem more prone to foot rot and to either overgrow or become worn down in extreme conditions.
Always exceptions and not a deal breaker with sheep either, but I do prefer good black feet, all else being equal.

What a great thread! To me, this bull appears to look like he's a costume, meaning his back legs look like the back half of an animal costume. Is this the typical look with post legged animals? And what is the drawback for post legged animals?

Bestoutwest":k0ghws48 said:
What a great thread! To me, this bull appears to look like he's a costume, meaning his back legs look like the back half of an animal costume. Is this the typical look with post legged animals? And what is the drawback for post legged animals?

Boot Jack's post above does a good job explaining the preferred angle of the lower leg. In motion is the preferred way to observe proper rear leg form, i.e. live motion or video. If a bull is too straight in the lower rear leg, it can be hard on the tarsals and metatarsals. An ungulate moves on the tips of its digits. Mankind walks on the entire foot on the ground. Thus, in cattle the bottom of the foot and heel is off the ground. Those joints take some wear if they are too straight resulting in the potential for shorter longevity.

Bestoutwest":tbvc9k5t said:

It's one of those snappy phrases show cow people like to say when their standing round talking crap.
Of no real importance in agriculture.

callmefence":2hw4e118 said:
Bestoutwest":2hw4e118 said:

It's one of those snappy phrases show cow people like to say when their standing round talking crap.

My fine Texas Fisherman - There is more reality in that explanation than all the ruminations above. Lol

Bright Raven":243svly0 said:
callmefence":243svly0 said:
Bestoutwest":243svly0 said:

My fine Texas Fisherman - There is more reality in that explanation than all the ruminations above. Lol

Thanks for the explanations.

In my herd, it seems like bad hooves come more from bad/weak bone structure.. if the joint, muscle and bone aren't up to the job of putting weight on the tip of the hoof, it won't wear, once it doesn't wear, it puts more strain on it and it's all downhill from there... sickle hocked cattle are more of a concern to me than post-legged ones for that reason

I have found like BR and others it is hard to take a good picture of cattle especially when a bull is in that 12-24 month stage. Many grow and get gangly. And they can look different everytime they stop. I like to judge them just like a horse on the move. I agree with the other posters about that. I've found if they move good and knock their tracks out they will likely be ok when mature.

This is Marko at weaning.. he grew into his legs later.. His daughters tend to be pretty stocky, his sons seem a little taller.. he's strong on the chrome as well
20140908_091852sm.jpg

Latest posts