Gimli

Help Support CattleToday:

Gimli's Dam is MS MLH Mercedes 666A, a Roy Canada Simmental. Sired by Ruby's Wide Open 909W. Dam is GLS Miss 33R X139.

I AIed her 12/30/2016 to Ironhide. She came back in on 1/23/17. I AIed her 1/24/17 to HPF OPTIMIZER. She stuck. Calf was due 11/5/17. Gimli was born 10/7/17. 255 days gestation off the Optimizer breeding at a birth weight of 55 pounds.

Kris (Fire Sweep Simmentals) thought that was too big for a 255 day gestation so she suggested I do DNA parentage blood test through ASA to confirm he was not an Ironhide from the first AI attempt. His blood came back matching HPF OPTIMIZER.

Bright Raven":2lsrgadp said:
True Grit Farms":2lsrgadp said:
Lazy M":2lsrgadp said:
Wow. Come on Grit, loosen up a bit. It's not immoral to sell and purchase cattle that you like. It may or may not be the most profitable route, but if you are enjoying yourself then who cares.
One screw ball can harm a lot of folks when comes to selling bulls. Selling a queer at the sale barn as a feeder doesn't hurt much, but let that queer bred and produce offspring you get more queers. It doesn't take many to screw things up. The Angus and Hereford folks have been fighting this battle for years.

Vince,

Just saw this. I been out all evening singing Christmas Carols. Got home and braved a bad night of weather to tuck little Gimli into his little bed of hay. I come in and read this. There are no words to express my grief. All I can say is the deal with your neighbor is off. When Gimli finds out you called him a queer, he will be so demoralized that he will never want to breed a cow.

Maybe Obama will call and congratulate him...

ALACOWMAN":13lbuusq said:
Bright Raven":13lbuusq said:
True Grit Farms":13lbuusq said:
One screw ball can harm a lot of folks when comes to selling bulls. Selling a queer at the sale barn as a feeder doesn't hurt much, but let that queer bred and produce offspring you get more queers. It doesn't take many to screw things up. The Angus and Hereford folks have been fighting this battle for years.

Vince,

Just saw this. I been out all evening singing Christmas Carols. Got home and braved a bad night of weather to tuck little Gimli into his little bed of hay. I come in and read this. There are no words to express my grief. All I can say is the deal with your neighbor is off. When Gimli finds out you called him a queer, he will be so demoralized that he will never want to breed a cow.

Maybe Obama will call and congratulate him...
If he had a bull it could be just like him.

JWBrahman":k90hxhym said:
Nobody should be using a bull without pigment on the nose.

John, on that one, I will consult Kris (Fire Sweep Simmentals). She has a full expense paid trip here this spring paid by me. She will advise me on my herd at that time.

Here is the DNA results for Gimli. For reference 2728015 is HPF Optimizer:

2a7tvl5.png

JWBrahman":24p3kizy said:
Again your opinion. If he is a good bull I don't worry about pigment on the nose.

ALACOWMAN":3j0psg0t said:
elkwc":3j0psg0t said:
JWBrahman":3j0psg0t said:
Again your opinion. If he is a good bull I don't worry about pigment on the nose.
Anybody that raises Simms shouldn't..there wouldn't be many left on the planet....

Alacowman:

Is the absence of pigment on the nose a concern? If it is, must be a major problem because I see lots of Simms with the pale nose?

Bright Raven":2mcofsbi said:
ALACOWMAN":2mcofsbi said:
elkwc":2mcofsbi said:
Anybody that raises Simms shouldn't..there wouldn't be many left on the planet....

Alacowman:

Is the absence of pigment on the nose a concern? If it is, must be a major problem because I see lots of Simms with the pale nose?
of course not, it's a natural Characteristic of the breed.. Like the light muzzle on limm and a few other breeds... Might mean something in the Hereford breed,like with the eye pigment...

Lazy M":2q9ujs8r said:
True Grit Farms":2q9ujs8r said:
One screw ball can harm a lot of folks when comes to selling bulls. Selling a queer at the sale barn as a feeder doesn't hurt much, but let that queer bred and produce offspring you get more queers.
Oh I get it now. I didn't realize that he was queer. A queer bull will definitely not be profitable.. Maybe he can be a show steer..Might have a good prance.

Lazy M,

Because of your compassion for Poor Little Queer Gimli, I wanted to brighten your day with a positive Update on Poor Little Queer Gimli.

First, I decided that because True Grit is a Master Cattleman that there must be credibility in his calling Poor Little Gimli a Queer. Therefore, on Christmas Eve, just before tucking him into his little bed of hay, I told him he had been labeled a Queer by one of the Master Cattleman on Cattle Today. BTW: because I anticipated his reaction, I put down fresh hay, nicely scented with his favorite, Summer Breeze in the Barn Yard Cologne.

Poor Little Queer Gimli, did not cry. I watched his cute fuzzy face. He was in deep thought. He said, Dad, I am going to come out of the closet. I think I might be Queer.

I said, Gimli, why do you think that. He said, Dad, when some of the other bull calves stop in front of me, I have an urge to mount them. I said, Son, that is totally normal bovine behavior.

Wow!!!! You should have seen his face! He was the happiest little bull calf in the group.

He had a great Christmas!

Davemk":1ljf3c2a said:
Ron
I think you have officially cracked up. :lol: :lol:

On the pigment thing, we our feeding another simmi this year and no pigment on the nose.

Yes. Alacowman and Fire Sweep indicate that is not a fault in the Simmental breed.

Fire Sweep pointed out that he does have pigmented spots.

Thats a great fairy tail, does his nose glow red? When I look at your show string, one is really different from the rest "the queer" and one has different markings. If either is a bull they need to be castrated, it's really very simple. To most normal thinking human beings they'd want to make sure there's no chance that those animals can pass their inferior genes along. There's a lot of things in life just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I'm blessed and not to ignorant to realize that some folks know more, and are smarter than me. And yes, I have the hat to prove I'm a master cattlemen.
:tiphat:

True Grit Farms":jp3asgxi said:
Thats a great fairy tail, does his nose glow red? When I look at your show string, one is really different from the rest "the queer" and one has different markings. If either is a bull they need to be castrated, it's really very simple. To most normal thinking human beings they'd want to make sure there's no chance that those animals can pass their inferior genes along. There's a lot of things in life just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I'm blessed and not to ignorant to realize that some folks know more, and are smarter than me. And yes, I have the hat to prove I'm a master cattlemen.

Ok. :D.

I think you and I both have miles and miles to go before anything more than a hat makes us Master Cattleman.

Bright Raven":1nrrys3v said:
Davemk":1nrrys3v said:
Ron

On the pigment thing, we our feeding another simmi this year and no pigment on the nose.

Yes. Alacowman and Fire Sweep indicate that is not a fault in the Simmental breed.

So being a dwarf and looking like a miniature black Hereford, is OK in the Simmental breed?

True Grit Farms":1y3o6xas said:
Bright Raven":1y3o6xas said:
Davemk":1y3o6xas said:
Ron

So being a dwarf and looking like a miniature black Hereford, is OK in the Simmental breed?

Who said that?

Bright Raven":2ooc55yu said:
True Grit Farms":2ooc55yu said:

Ok. :D.

I think you and I both have miles and miles to go before anything more than a hat makes us Master Cattleman.
I agree and resemble that statement.

Bright Raven":19o7c6di said:
Davemk":19o7c6di said:
Ron

True Grit Farms":3tuh7amr said:
Bright Raven":3tuh7amr said:
Davemk":3tuh7amr said:
Ron

That statement is referencing the nose pigment issue ONLY! DON'T READ MORE INTO IT.

Addressed to True Grit:

The Optimizer Bull Calf that is the subject of this playful thread is 10 weeks old. About March or April, he will be weaned. There is no harm or foul in waiting until that time to decide his fate. If I were one of the Bovine Deities, I would have ordered him Black with a nice bold white blaze. But I am merely a mortal. It is obvious not only here but at Fire Sweep Simmentals that if you use HPF Optimizer on any Simmental with white, you better be prepared for too much chrome. We are having the same issue with Broadway.

Latest posts