Goodbye Gimli

Help Support CattleToday:

76 Bar":2nqh9z4n said:
For Nesi and inquiring minds...CAB specs:
https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/brand/specs.php
The above was updated recently regarding regarding color e.g. excessive white:
http://www.uspremiumbeef.com/DocumentItem.aspx?ID=126
Commentary from Beef Magazine from March 2017.
https://www.beefmagazine.com/beef-quality/what-makes-fed-cattle-qualify-certified-angus-beef
So basically most black breeds can meet all requirements of CAB, including the solid black crossbreds of the "forbidden" breeds?

Muddy":1sx6oozh said:
76 Bar":1sx6oozh said:
For Nesi and inquiring minds...CAB specs:
https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/brand/specs.php
The above was updated recently regarding regarding color e.g. excessive white:
http://www.uspremiumbeef.com/DocumentItem.aspx?ID=126
Commentary from Beef Magazine from March 2017.
https://www.beefmagazine.com/beef-quality/what-makes-fed-cattle-qualify-certified-angus-beef
So basically most black breeds can meet all requirements of CAB, including the solid black crossbreds of the "forbidden" breeds?

Muddy,

Yes. If it has the requisite proportion of black hide. You don't seem to grasp the concept? Only a person disconnected from the real world would entertain the idea that a vendor of beef products is going to DNA test every piece of meat that they market to confirm that it is derived from the Angus breed of cattle. The CAB is a TRADEMARK. Google trademark and learn what it means. The USPTO approves trademarks. They don't give a cup of cold water what breed meets the CAB criteria. They review the application for the trademark and determine if it is in compliance with federal regulations. What you are attempting to rationalize is that a TRADEMARK must be true to the words it employs - that is not the way it works. For example, if I submitted a request for a trademark as follows: CERTIFIED CAPE BUFFALO, and my criteria for that product was that it must have a white hide, they would have to approve that TRADEMARK. I could sell any white hided beef under that TRADEMARK.

Going a step further, where a company gets in trouble is with advertising. If a packer and marketer of CAB was to advertise that it cures genital psoriasis and that cannot be proven, then you have a problem. A big problem. Not with the USPTO, but with the FDA.

You make things hard to understand.

To earn the Certified Angus Beef ® brand name, cattle must first be Angus-influenced, with a predominantly solid black coat. Then, beef must pass our 10 quality standards:

Marbling and Maturity
1. Modest or higher marbling – for the taste that ensures customer satisfaction

2. Medium or fine marbling texture – the white "flecks of flavor" in the beef that ensure consistent flavor and juiciness in every bite

3. Only cattle harvested younger than 30 months of age qualify as "A" maturity – for superior color, texture and tenderness

Consistent Sizing
4. 10- to 16-square-inch ribeye area

5. 1,050-pound hot carcass weight or less

6. Less than 1-inch fat thickness

Quality Appearance and Tenderness
7. Superior muscling (restricts influence of dairy cattle)

8. Practically free of capillary ruptures (ensures the most visually appealing steak)

9. No dark cutters (ensures the most visually appealing steak)

10. No neck hump exceeding 2 inches (safeguards against cattle with more variability in tenderness)

CAB hurts those that raise mostly Angus influenced cattle. But the demand for CAB beef far exceeds the supply. There's plenty of places to sell heavily influenced Angus cattle for a premium. I deal with these folks.https://brasstownbeef.com

True Grit Farms":38zx1vm0 said:
You make things hard to understand.

To earn the Certified Angus Beef ® brand name, cattle must first be Angus-influenced, with a predominantly solid black coat. Then, beef must pass our 10 quality standards:

Marbling and Maturity
1. Modest or higher marbling – for the taste that ensures customer satisfaction

2. Medium or fine marbling texture – the white "flecks of flavor" in the beef that ensure consistent flavor and juiciness in every bite

3. Only cattle harvested younger than 30 months of age qualify as "A" maturity – for superior color, texture and tenderness

Consistent Sizing
4. 10- to 16-square-inch ribeye area

5. 1,050-pound hot carcass weight or less

6. Less than 1-inch fat thickness

Quality Appearance and Tenderness
7. Superior muscling (restricts influence of dairy cattle)

8. Practically free of capillary ruptures (ensures the most visually appealing steak)

9. No dark cutters (ensures the most visually appealing steak)

10. No neck hump exceeding 2 inches (safeguards against cattle with more variability in tenderness)

CAB hurts those that raise mostly Angus influenced cattle. But the demand for CAB beef far exceeds the supply. There's plenty of places to sell heavily influenced Angus cattle for a premium. I deal with these folks.https://brasstownbeef.com

I assumed he knew that from the links BAR posted. I took it that Muddy is looking for a "litmus" test. Such as a DNA test to "prove" that it is meat from an Angus Beef animal. That is not what CAB represents. If the CAB trademark holder was to say "this beef is guaranteed to be from an Angus beef animal" then that would be a problem. Their criteria - that you posted - does not state that.

The point is simple - folks are taking the Trademark literally instead of as a brand. That is all it is - a brand.

The whole CAB thing gripes my hide. Angus fell in disfavor in the 60's and early 70's because they were short and fat. A group of Angus breeders came up with the CAB marketing idea in the mid to late 70's. One of those guys was from Jonesboro, TN. They were more successful than they could ever imagine thanks in part to a Hardee's commercial that showed a Rancher eating a hamburger and saying that he could not believe that they were using real Angus beef. The public bought in and here we are!

sstterry":2p7dzp2o said:
The whole CAB thing gripes my hide. Angus fell in disfavor in the 60's and early 70's because they were short and fat. A group of Angus breeders came up with the CAB marketing idea in the mid to late 70's. One of those guys was from Jonesboro, TN. They were more successful than they could ever imagine thanks in part to a Hardee's commercial that showed a Rancher eating a hamburger and saying that he could not believe that they were using real Angus beef. The public bought in and here we are!

Well, Steve. Does that mean you are anti-capitalist???? Because, Buddy, that is the way it works and I say MORE POWER TO THEM. I LOVE PEOPLE WHO MAKE MONEY AND CREATE WEALTH. It don't just float their boat, it floats all our boats!!!!

Bright Raven":3jxq6vje said:
sstterry":3jxq6vje said:

Well, Steve. Does that mean you are anti-capitalist???? Because, Buddy, that is the way it works and I say MORE POWER TO THEM. I LOVE PEOPLE WHO MAKE MONEY AND CREATE WEALTH. It don't just float their boat, it floats all our boats!!!!
As long as it is not misleading and CAB is misleading.

sstterry":2jdvefot said:
Bright Raven":2jdvefot said:
sstterry":2jdvefot said:

Do you want me to list misleading product labels? Let's start with all the ORGANIC nonsense. Everyone who took high school biology knows all living things are organic. You are an attorney, you know that the label is different than making unsubstantiated claims. Such as Yoplait Yugart did on the claim that their products boost the immune system. It cost them a bundle. The folks selling CAB are NOT making a claim that it cures cancer. They are not even claiming that it DNA tests back to Angus. They are only making the claims that Vince listed above.

there are lots of different definitions of "Organic"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic

Back when "Organic" farming came along and got promoted, it was supposed to be pesticide and artificial fertilizer free..
The misleading part about it is that the standards have changed but public expectation has not kept up with the new standards.. Is it misleading to the public if you market a product as something, then change the definition of it?
If a company says "Only made in the USA" for decades, then outsources to China and stops using the slogan.. while it's certainly legal, it's still preying on the customer that doesn't check the fine print.. Legal, yes, moral, no.

Wow, we're a long ways from the original topic!

sstterry":35v1tbmo said:
Nesikep":35v1tbmo said:
Wow, we're a long ways from the original topic!

Gimli is a Certifed Angus, right Ron? :hide:

He meets the criteria established for that "brand" name. "Brand" names are not to be taken literally.

Beer name. This is not a joke:

Pigs Azz

30x91mx.png

Do you get the idea?

Mrs. Butterworth's Original Syrup

Even though she's called "Mrs. Butterworth," there's no actual butter anywhere in the popular breakfast topping's list of ingredients. There's no maple syrup, either. The only actual syrup in Mrs. Butterworth is high fructose corn syrup — and plenty of it.

Bright Raven":1j3e9l6n said:
sstterry":1j3e9l6n said:
Bright Raven":1j3e9l6n said:

Do you want me to list misleading product labels? Let's start with all the ORGANIC nonsense. Everyone who took high school biology knows all living things are organic. You are an attorney, you know that the label is different than making unsubstantiated claims. Such as Yoplait Yugart did on the claim that their products boost the immune system. It cost them a bundle. The folks selling CAB are NOT making a claim that it cures cancer. They are not even claiming that it DNA tests back to Angus. They are only making the claims that Vince listed above.

Ron I Agee with Steve. When they state certified Angus Beef then it should be Angus beef. No different than me selling you seed and saying it is certified Triticale seed and instead it is bin run wheat. The same can be said about the labeling of foreign beef as raised in the USA. Again misleading.

elkwc":3dm4c3yv said:
Bright Raven":3dm4c3yv said:
sstterry":3dm4c3yv said:

Ron I Agee with Steve. When they state certified Angus Beef then it should be Angus beef. No different than me selling you seed and saying it is certified Triticale seed and instead it is bin run wheat. The same can be said about the labeling of foreign beef as raised in the USA. Again misleading.

Acknowledged.

It is not illegal. It has gone through the Trademark process and approved by USPTO. It complies with FDA regulations. It has successfully promoted not only Angus but other black hided cattle. Is it misleading? I guess but not if you understand the "Trademark", "Label" and the "Brand".

It would be more of a concern if they were advertising that CAB cures Alzheimers. They are certainly not going to run DNA tests on every carcass to confirm it is Angus. The BRAND has done well, it will probably last a long time.

Isn't the "100% pure beef patty" of McDonalds actually a trademark as well? Meaning since it's a trademark, they can have any amount of beef in their patty, because it's not a marketing claim

76 Bar":3uhido5r said:
I understand your point but this is a capitalist nation. The practice of naming products with misleading labels to attract sales is as common as house flies.
And in turn, I comprehend your point. That said, I deplore fallacious advertising including and especially those in branded products. :
https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/brand/

Acknowledged

Bright Raven":2nm5vcdc said:
elkwc":2nm5vcdc said:
Bright Raven":2nm5vcdc said:

Acknowledged.

It is not illegal. It has gone through the Trademark process and approved by USPTO. It complies with FDA regulations. It has successfully promoted not only Angus but other black hided cattle. Is it misleading? I guess but not if you understand the "Trademark", "Label" and the "Brand".

It would be more of a concern if they were advertising that CAB cures Alzheimers. They are certainly not going to run DNA tests on every carcass to confirm it is Angus. The BRAND has done well, it will probably last a long time.

Again we each have our own opinion. To me when they state certified Angus they are implying the beef is Angus. If they called it Certified black beef then I would agree with that. IMO it is misleading and dishonest. The reason I mentioned certified seed is because I know of a dealer that got into an issue selling seed. They said the implication was there that it was. To be this is the same. Just because it is legal doesn't mean it is honest and not misleading. They should have to list the requirements on each package so the consumer knows the truth. I quit buying CAB sometime ago. Many times it had too much fat and gristle. When I buy at the store I either buy CHB or Red River if I can. We have went back to feeding our own some.

Latest posts