gomer bull wanted

Help Support CattleToday:

PrimeValley

Reaction score
Hi,
We live in north-central Indiana. Does anyone have a gomer bull they are interested in renting to us for breeding season?
Thank you!

May have exactly what you need if only I knew what a gomer bull was..

According to google, "A gomer bull is a bull that has been vasectomized. He can still identify cows in heat, but he can't successfully breed."

shortybreeder":3bc2c4mt said:
According to google, "A gomer bull is a bull that has been vasectomized. He can still identify cows in heat, but he can't successfully breed."
Does one with a broke penis count? Just sold one of those..

The problem with a gomer is he is still a bull with all of the same characteristics, i.e. possibly belligerent, hard on equipment, hard to keep home, still mounts the cows so heifers can have problems if he;s very big. I far prefer a cow or a horny steer.

jerry27150":3w148duc said:
most gomer bulls are usually made from jerseys, your vet should be able to fix one if you find a jersey bull somewhere
Not mentioned that jersey bulls are most dangerous bulls around...orny as heck. I'd rather take a jersey steer over jersey bull at any time.

shortybreeder":1rue65z0 said:
There's some reports that a gomer bull can get cows pregnant.

Taurus":16nljjpk said:
shortybreeder":16nljjpk said:
There's some reports that a gomer bull can get cows pregnant.
Well yea that def wouldn't surprise me ...

+1 on the learning something new everyday. Great idea, but too expensive, so then no longer a great idea IMO

More good reasons exist for not having a gomer, than for having one.
I use tail paint to do the job.

(Gomers used to be rigged with a chinball marker to paint the cows they rode... never actually seen one.
Now I definitely wouldn't use a Jersey for a gomer, them critters will serve cows that aren't on heat on the run. Get a nice placid Holstein with black feet and yes, he probably will still be fertile whatever the vet told you.)

I have seen people use them with success. They can have the penis cocked to one side so they cant get it where it needs to be. So yes, it is surgically "broke" in a sense. But some cows work darn near as good.

branguscowgirl":1873kabv said:
I have seen people use them with success. They can have the penis cocked to one side so they cant get it where it needs to be. So yes, it is surgically "broke" in a sense. But some cows work darn near as good.
That's one of the 3 ways I've seen. That particular one is called "Penile deviation" commonly called side winders. There is also the full blown surgical vasectomy and the other a band is placed around the sigmoid flexor so the penis can;t be extended. No clever names for either of the last 2.

dun":11gqvai8 said:
branguscowgirl":11gqvai8 said:
That's one of the 3 ways I've seen. That particular one is called "Penile deviation" commonly called side winders. There is also the full blown surgical vasectomy and the other a band is placed around the sigmoid flexor so the penis can;t be extended. No clever names for either of the last 2.
I can't imagine even the best natured bull not getting frustrated and pissed off about this kind of surgery! :lol: That would put any male in a bad mood!

branguscowgirl":3u7pt8gk said:
dun":3u7pt8gk said:
branguscowgirl":3u7pt8gk said:
I can't imagine even the best natured bull not getting frustrated and be nice off about this kind of surgery! :lol: That would put any male in a bad mood!

:nod:

Dun's description made me near sick to my stomach and brought memories of my own vasectomy. Ouch! Dad gave me the same advice his friend gave him. "Get two beers, drink one and stick the other between your legs, repeat often."

i used gomers years ago....

sidewinders can learn how to mount awkwardly and still get the job done....getting cows pregnant to a bull not good enough to breed to....

I liked vasecomized bulls....we would do a calf as a weanling and then use him for a couple of years....then sell him before he got big and rank....

there was a spell where penectomies were done....

many gomers if they cannot sucsessfully copulate will lose interest in the entire process and spend their time eating....

there is usually a slight bump in conceptions when there is a gomer in the process because of reaction from the cow....

all this was way before synchrony....

with synchrony gomers are not needed because you should have enough females in heat to do a decent job of heat detection....

Latest posts