gomer bull wanted

Help Support CattleToday:

With gomer bulls you have the worst of two worlds, the costs, work, and risk with both bulls, and with AI. :2cents:

if you don't know how to deal with bulls why are you in the cattle business? seen more cows try to kill you than bulls, but I've only been around cattle for 64 yrs & I can tell what a cow thinks before they know it

jerry27150":2bij83ru said:
I can tell what a cow thinks before they know it
Yeah, right. Most times a cow doesn;t know what she's going to do until she's doing it

back when we used them.....

I used to halter break my gomer bulls while they were weanlings....made it easy to load them on a bumper pull trailer and move them from field to field....we were breeding alot of cows back then...first year gomers went to the heifers and older gomers went to the cows....

we worked them so hard that we had to feed them and sometimes rotate them out....if we had a spare pen we would feed them when we got the breeders up for the day....other times we would give them a feed pan and just stand there to keep the cattle from stealing the feed....it was easy to slip a cow halter on and put them into the trailer.....if I did not have horses in the trailer I have feed the gomers in the trailer....

synchrony drugs simplified life a good bit.....

maybe you were not raised with them dun. they say the same thing about american Indians. if your raised with them you find they are a lot brighter than most people

dun":22x9mfci said:
jerry27150":22x9mfci said:
Yeah, right. Most times a cow doesn;t know what she's going to do until she's doing it
I'm the same way as Jerry. I've been observing the catle since I was an infant. I know about 90% of the time how the cow is going to move and whether or not she's about to get dangerous before she even starts to go. They are very intelligent animals.

shortybreeder":1czh475k said:
dun":1czh475k said:
jerry27150":1czh475k said:
I'm the same way as Jerry. I've been observing the catle since I was an infant. I know about 90% of the time how the cow is going to move and whether or not she's about to get dangerous before she even starts to go. They are very intelligent animals.
I'll go along with 90% but not 100%

I have a 6 week old bull calf who's already following the cows in heat around. I learned something today too! If I didn't need a working bull around I wouldn't have one, so I certainly wouldn't want a half working bull. My cows have their lesbian zoo going and I know who's in heat anyhow.

thank you all for the input. We have managed to locate a young gomer; we are hoping for the best! We may be interested in selling after the fall breeding season, so if anyone is interested, let us know. thanks again!

never buy a used gomer....sorry prime valley....but what better way to introduce disease...particularly veneral disease into a cow herd...but then I am radical about that....

we always used our own young bulls....bulls did not come back here after they left....gomer or otherwise...

I always chuckled when we sent the used gomer bulls to the stock yard....

That is certainly a concern, but we are not too worried. The place was recommended by our Vet. I suppose if one were "radical about that" you would never buy any animal from anyone.

PrimeValley":28jdq1oz said:
That is certainly a concern, but we are not too worried. The place was recommended by our Vet. I suppose if one were "radical about that" you would never buy any animal from anyone.

exactly.....i bought the first ones as heifers from a farm I had worked at as a cattle manager....we built the herd from there....using AI and our own young bulls as clean up.....

Latest posts