Going for black baldy market

Help Support CattleToday:

southernblues

Reaction score
So I've got me some Hereford heifers, 22 are bred by reg Herf bull soon to calve and the other 12 are open (not been with bull yet).

I had my mind made up that I was going for the baldy market, thinking registered Angus bull on the Herfs.

The breeder I'm talking to has been a traditional Simmental ranch and in last few years started expanding into Reg Angus.

He has 2 yearling bulls for sale that will be ready for work in June. 1 is Angus (i posted in earlier thread the bull's sire) and the other is Sim-Angus. He says the Angus should throw a little lighter calf, not as much bone and the Sim-Angus should pack a little more pounds at market. Both are CE bulls.

Question: what are thoughts of AngusxHerf vs Sim/AngusXHerf. Not that it matters but my herfs are registered stock.

If your going to calve them out yourself, I would go for the SimmxAngus. If your going to sell them, breed them Angus. Lots of buyers get scared away when a heifer is bred exotic of any fashion.

Nothing better than a genuine hereford--- angus cross, the black-baldy supreme. As fine a mother cow as there is [alltho I think a red-baldy is just a little bit better] and those steers can make anybody a few buck's

Easy decision for me to go with the Angus. Around here the market for baldy is the Angus and Hereford cross. Most buyers shy away from the baldy heifers with exotic blood in them. The next generation is where you would want to use the exotic blood in a 3 way cross situation. But whatever you do, use a good bull.

I am curious as to why you are wanting to cross breed your registered heifers. I agree 100% on the angus if that is what you are going to do. It is interesting to me that 2 of the responders are referring to the sims as "exotic". I don't know what its like where you guys are from, but around here they are a pretty mainstream breed.

Beef Man":34k8d7td said:
Nothing better than a genuine hereford--- angus cross, the black-baldy supreme. As fine a mother cow as there is [alltho I think a red-baldy is just a little bit better] and those steers can make anybody a few buck's
+1

Personally, I'd go with the SimAngus, if my target was more pounds of black baldy calf across the scales.

angie":wuga3w4e said:
I am curious as to why you are wanting to cross breed your registered heifers. I agree 100% on the angus if that is what you are going to do. It is interesting to me that 2 of the responders are referring to the sims as "exotic". I don't know what its like where you guys are from, but around here they are a pretty mainstream breed.

Because the registered Hereford market seems to benefit seedstock producers (heifers and bulls) which takes a different marketing approach that I don't have the discretionary time for (nor experience).

I bought the herfs as registered so I had good background on the type of cattle I was getting. Bred for forage conversion, hardy, smaller framed (1100-1250 lbs) mamas. Nothing I want more than to have a strong registered herd of Herfs except my customer won't care, in fact will probably cost me money (not black).

southernblues":2m3ialhu said:
Because the registered Hereford market seems to benefit seedstock producers (heifers and bulls) which takes a different marketing approach that I don't have the discretionary time for (nor experience).
I bought the herfs as registered so I had good background on the type of cattle I was getting. Bred for forage conversion, hardy, smaller framed (1100-1250 lbs) mamas. Nothing I want more than to have a strong registered herd of Herfs except my customer won't care, in fact will probably cost me money (not black).
Ah, makes sense to me! :nod:
Good luck with whatever you choose!

I would breed 1/2 of them to black Angus, and 1/2 to black Galloway.

The Galloway X Hereford BWF is a much more efficient,hardier, momma cow.

Sim-Ang.king -- good info. I like what the data is saying.

So another question -- regardless of the simmangus or angus on herf scenario....IF a guy was to keep the heifers, what would you put them back on?

southernblues":jr7e3hgx said:
Sim-Ang.king -- good info. I like what the data is saying.

So another question -- regardless of the simmangus or angus on herf scenario....IF a guy was to keep the heifers, what would you put them back on?

Angus first go round and then you can cross back with simm or char onthe true f1 females.