Frame 10 Angus breeders out there?

Help Support CattleToday:

Nowadays, it is the A2/A2 protein and the increased beta-carotene in the milk that they should be promoting....but the dairy industry doesn't want that to be a cornerstone

The A2/A2 is definitely on the forefront as are beta casein, kappa casein and beta lactoglobulin. We use GeneSeek for our testing and we are seeing producers that will only buy or use animals that are A2/A2 or have good cheese components. All of the dairy breeds are involved in this and interest continues to increase.

So does the interest in breeding polled animals.

We have tested about 2/3 of our Aubracs for generic milk / cheese traits. Better milk components should result in healthier and stronger calves that should grow and develop well. At least that's our theory ...

farmerjan said:
One of the problems the guernsey breeders got into was trying to breed for increased milk at the expense of the frame and sturdiness of the old style guernseys. They were more of a coarse, raw-boned breed way back. Then there was this big thing to breed them to be "dairy"; and that is what really did so much damage by not keeping the frame and trying to make them something they were not. They got too frail and narrow-chested...you're right. But the "old style" ones that my family had before I was born, and that many of the old-timers had were not the "pretty" show cows that seemed to be the trend. The couple that I had way back in the early 80's were good sized cows and had butterfat in the 5% range, but they were not milk wagons. And they were all using the same basic bulls so you are right also; they had narrowed the gene pool to where so many were too closely related. There is very little "out-cross" bloodlines even today. My favourite dairy breed is guernsey, and hate the fancy ones today.
I know that there was some red holstein used in the guernseys, but it didn't get recorded....
Part of it was that they were needing to get more production to compete with the holstein dairies. And the whole thing of "FAT IS BAD" so they lost the advantage of the "Golden Guernsey" trademark that highlighted the butterfat. Nowadays, it is the A2/A2 protein and the increased beta-carotene in the milk that they should be promoting....but the dairy industry doesn't want that to be a cornerstone, just like we cannot market milk as 96.5% FAT FREE instead of saying it is "whole milk" @ 3.5% fat; or saying it is 99% fat free instead of saying it is 1% fat....Everything else can be marketed as "FAT FREE" and all that...[/quote

My mother says, that when she stayed at her aunts sometimes as a child, they got their milk from a neighbor that milked a Geurnsey cow. She frequently talks about how rich and good the milk was.

gizmom":1603ol5u said:
Elkwc

Your right the term moderate can be different things to different folks, very good point. My idea of moderate is between a 5 and 6 frame with a 5 1/2 being ideal.

Gizmom

Gizmom I agree with you. That is what I strive for but if I'm going to err I will go a little larger say a low 6 before I will dip into the 4's. I know several feeder buyers who state they have been told any feeder below a frame 5 had better be purchased at a big discount and some lots don't want them period. I know feedlot managers in this area that say the same thing.
But over the last 3-4 years I've spent gas and money going to look at "moderate cattle that some were barely a frame 4.0 and others were a frame size 7 or larger. So now I make certain to determine frame size before I travel a long distnace.

farmerjan":34g9pifb said:
One of the problems the guernsey breeders got into was trying to breed for increased milk at the expense of the frame
and sturdiness of the old style guernseys.
Nearly 40 years ago I had a private viewing of the Guernsey herd in Wisconsin owned by the family of Hoard's
Dairyman founder. I've never seen a better herd of Guernseys before or since. They were impressive and nothing like
the 'fancy' frail Guernsey of today.

Son of Butch. The Hoards were well known for their guernseys and they had good ones. You were very fortunate to have seen them. I envy you. There are so few around anymore, good or bad, in this area. Jerseys have come into a lot more favor and now they are the "new thing" in dairy cattle. They are also getting bigger in many herds; so much so they are calling the old style/size jerseys "miniatures" in some places. At least they have not inbred them so much. And they are definitely promoting the A2/A2 protein in them. In fact, I think that the "component" sire book from select sires has the protein ratings on most all the color breeds.

Latest posts