Ford's New 7.3 Can Fit In a F-150...........

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz said:
True Grit Farms said:
How fast do you drive? I've seen my Ram in the low 7's pulling hard and in the low 20's running 80 mph empty. I'd like to have a couple more gears down low and one up top. The 10 speed is where it's at Kenny.

I'm actually a pretty slow driver, 70 is plenty fast for me on interstate. Wife has a SRW Cummins that does pretty well on fuel, but I bet it's close to 3k lighter than my truck. From what I've seen, dual wheels knock off about 2 mpg from the get go.

I'd like to see a 7 speed manual transmission with an extremely low 1st gear and two OD's, something like a .85 and a .65 for top end. The Mercedes G56 that was in my Dodge only had one OD (.75ish?), and the reverse was terrible when coupled with the fact you didn't have the option of using 2Low to back up a trailer.

The automatic transmission in my new Ford is my first A/T, and it's my favorite A/T that I've driven to date. The only reason I say that is because of the Manual option where you can specify the gear and eliminate downshifting when you floor it to make a grade. It also eliminates the annoying downshifting (too aggressive) when using the exhaust brake and tapping your brakes going downhill. That being said, I would have been happy to pay a premium to purchase a manual transmission in this truck.
Installing a 2 1/2" leveling kit and adding a Ranch Hand bumper will cost you another 2mpg.

jltrent said:
M & P said:
Wonder what the fuel mileage will be,, I bet it won't be good.
Probably as good as the 6.7 diesel which is not good. The 6.2 gas guys say around 14mpg on theirs, so I would say the 7.3 will be south of that. THis is using the swag method.

I'm going to skew that 14 a little as my 6.2 is only getting around 12 with my short distance driving.

I know power/torque ratings keeps going up, but it seems fuel mileage keeps going down even more percentage wise on these trucks. My 7.3 PSD, 6 speed is rated 275hp/525 torque (manual was rated 25 hp more than auto) and keeping it in 6 gear and under 2000 rpms it will get 18 mpg consistently empty. I would think the gas burners would get better.

jltrent said:
I know power/torque ratings keeps going up, but it seems fuel mileage keeps going down even more percentage wise on these trucks. My 7.3 PSD, 6 speed is rated 275hp/525 torque (manual was rated 25 hp more than auto) and keeping it in 6 gear and under 2000 rpms it will get 18 mpg consistently empty. I would think the gas burners would get better.

My guess is they won't JL, but It would sure be nice if the 7.3 gas trucks get 15 mpg. If the 7.3 gas gets the same mileage as the 6.7 diesel Ford will lose alot of money.

I had a 6.2 Ford (2013), traded it on a 6.7 (2017), I found the 6.2 to be awful on fuel, in fact as bad a the 2010 Dodge diesel I had. About 13mpg empty was all it would do. Loaded would burn double. My 6.7 gets 21 empty on our hilly windy roads. It's the first vehicle I've had that I actually like the economy of.
This new gas pot does sound interesting though.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the 460 ford use to have a 7.5 liter. So this motor will be smaller than that, correct? didn't the 460 get about 6-9 mpg?

My wife has a 15 ford f350 with the 6.7 and it has tons of power but it is terrible on fuel. Empty or loaded it has never done better than 11.7. I personally think it rides like crap compared to the 2 old 7.3 liter f350's I had before.

I don't think anybody really expects to be getting good mileage out of an F250/350 gasser.

Seems like they are doing all the right things. No OHC, cam phaser, or direct injection BS.

uplandnut said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the 460 ford use to have a 7.5 liter. So this motor will be smaller than that, correct? didn't the 460 get about 6-9 mpg?

My wife has a 15 ford f350 with the 6.7 and it has tons of power but it is terrible on fuel. Empty or loaded it has never done better than 11.7. I personally think it rides like crap compared to the 2 old 7.3 liter f350's I had before.

I feel the newer Fords have a nicer ride than the older Fords, and dang sure turn better. The 7.3 is 444 ci. The transmission - gearing is what will make or break the 7.3 gas engine.
The Ford 6.7 diesel gets good fuel mileage with the 3.31 gear ratio. And pulls good with overdrive off, it's just hard getting a heavy load moving from a stop. But a granny gear in an automatic transmission would fix this.

No complaints on the way it tows, but it doesn't get crap for mileage. As far as the ride, it's just to stiff. Maybe it's the fact it has newer suspension than the old trucks that were broke in?

uplandnut said:
No complaints on the way it tows, but it doesn't get crap for mileage. As far as the ride, it's just to stiff. Maybe it's the fact it has newer suspension than the old trucks that were broke in?

Put a set of air bags in the rear and keep 15-25 psi in them and your ride quality is much improved.

Computer controls, direct injection, variable valve timing.....a 10 speed tranny (ohmygosh will it do anything but sit there and shift all the time).........don't underestimate the new gassers. Right now gas is running around $1.90 give or take a penny and diesel is up $2.75 or so.....We have gas wars but not diesel wars around here. I'm not in the market for a new truck but as BD says, don't underestimate the value to the purchasing public of heavy duty gassers of today.

GM is doing something similar. The new HD trucks coming out this summer will have a 6.6 gas option along with a 6.6 Duramax 10 speed Allison tranny. The gas option will have a 6 speed tranny. I really think people will likely be buying more gas burners since they are finally offering something with some power. The extra 10-11,000 up front and the def fluid, expensive oil changes, expensive fuel filters etc. and most of the people that have them don`t really need the extra power of the diesel anyway they just think it`s cool to drive to Walmart with them and say look at me I`ve got a new truck to pull my bass boat with. I have a 05 Duramax I bought new and it`s been a really good truck that I haven`t had any expensive repairs but I`m thinking the next one will be a 6.6 gas burner.

kenny thomas said:
Why would you want a 10 speed automatic in a pickup? At work I have a Kenworth tandem hauling a bulldozer and it has a 6 speed automatic.

So you have Plenty of gears to always keep it in its miserable powerband :D

In my opinion the 10 speed tranny is a good thing. We have a GMC Yukon with a 6.2 10 speed tranny and it has way more power and gets 4-5 mpg better than the 5.3 5 speed Yukon it replaced. These newer gas engines have got plenty of power and are doing it with much less gas. 20 mpg out of a Yukon XL is far better than they used to be back when they still had the 454 in the Suburbans 10 -12 mpg if you were lucky .

uplandnut said:

I had a 91, C&C, 5 speed. It would get 10-11 on interstate.

only thing that really scares me about auto trannies with 10 speeds is the repair bill. Yeah, they've gotten better over the years, but at some point you're probably looking at a repair bill that's worth more than the truck

I think this engine could be a good inbetween for people who need a good tow vehicle but don't tow enough to warrant a diesel

True Grit Farms said:
uplandnut said:

I feel the newer Fords have a nicer ride than the older Fords, and dang sure turn better. The 7.3 is 444 ci. The transmission - gearing is what will make or break the 7.3 gas engine.
The Ford 6.7 diesel gets good fuel mileage with the 3.31 gear ratio. And pulls good with overdrive off, it's just hard getting a heavy load moving from a stop. But a granny gear in an automatic transmission would fix this.

That's why I didn't worry when I bought the '90 F 350, 460 gasser, 4 sp. OD. Had enough cubes to get things rolling and I did. Had it been a 350 I would have wanted the 4 sp granny.

Aaron said:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2FtNlfAbc2w

Oh baby! Might have to take a cold shower. Guess I have to keep the old 7.3 running until I can upgrade to the new and improved version. This will basically kill the diesel market in the 3/4 and 1 tons. And I thought the 6.2 was a sexy beast.

450 to 500 lbs of torque will not kill the diesel market. The 1000 to 1200 lbs of torque market is strong. It'll be ok for medium towing, but not heavy.

Latest posts