Ford's New 7.3 Can Fit In a F-150...........

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky said:
Ford had the V10 what happened to it? Chevy had the 8.1 wheres it at?
Ford dropped the V10s in pickups starting on 2011. Since then it has sold quite well in the F-450 and larger chassis cabs. Chevy dropped the 8.1 in 2009.

Lucky said:
Once you get over the initial shock of the upfront cost all pickups pretty much cost the same to operate. Like Brute says the gassers kill you on resale while the diesels hold value but kill you on upfront cost. I own Diesel and gas pickups and they both have their place. Don't think a gasser will replace a Diesel though. Ford had the V10 what happened to it? Chevy had the 8.1 wheres it at?

High fuel prices, the clean air act, fuel mandate, and small V8 popularity, killed most of the large gas motors.
What ever happen to the 5 cylinder car companies were pushing back in mid 2000's and early 10's?
Remember the hybrid motor craze? They were sticking those puny hybrid motors even in 1/2 ton pickups.
Ten years ago fuel was high, the big 3 were losing money to the jap cars with four bangers, and no Tier 4 diesel engines were on the road.

Now diesel is a $1 more per gallon than gas, diesel trucks cost 15k more than gas trucks, and maintaining a diesel truck cost more.
As of yesterday you could of bought 7300 gallons of gas with that 15k. That's 73,000 miles towing with my 6.0.

It's like 10K for the diesel over a 6.0L. You will get that back on resale. It's the oil changes, fuel, and general maintenance of the diesel that is higher.

The economy is booming and money is cheap so prices are rising. That's what happens when your economy is based off lending/ debt.

It is interesting that diesel is more expensive down there. It's all terribly expensive here, but diesel is currently a touch cheaper than gas.

I never thought about the difference in price between the gas and diesel engines paying for fuel. At our prices today it'd be 73,000 miles like you say. I will agree that the maintenance on a diesel is definitely higher. The oil changes generally run about $40 higher here wich isn't that bad. It's the fuel filter that gets me, $100 is a little steep. I currently have 2 Diesel pickups and am thinking of trading one in on a gasser. I've been driving it so long now I'm scared it'll feel gutless like the the old gasser farm truck I have. Looking at an F250 ext cab XLT 4x4 gas $43,000. Wonder if the new ones will still last 10-15 years with a fair amount of abuse and not cost an arm and leg to keep up?

If the 7.3 is as reliable as the 6.2s I would imagine that they would be pretty cheap to keep on the road. We have several 6.2s at work that have made it to 200k miles on just oil changes and spark plugs.

after reading this thread for a good while off and on....

I am wondering why anyone would need all that power in a half ton....

I would not mind the power and it would be great to have in a ton truck with duals.... but why in a half ton? might have the possibility of pulling the truck in half...

I'm sitting at the fuel pump now and its .57 difference between 87 oct and diesel. It's like .20 between 93 and diesel. If your not running 93 you might look in to it. When I was gauging the extra money for 93 paid for itself in fuel economy.

IMO the Ford 6.2 and GM 6.0 are the best thing since sliced bread for most people in agriculture today. They can be bought new or used at a reasonable price, they last forever, and have a low maintenance cost. They can be used to pull loads or take the kids to school and go to work.

There are quite a few ranches, farmers, etc that all run the gas motors for their guys and have a few diesels parked for the heavy hauling.

If I was in need of diesel for "heavy hauling", I would go with a good used single axle 8400 international with a 466. Would handle 20-30k better than any pickup could, along with getting better fuel mileage.
35k for a single axle, with $25 inspection, and $200 for license is still cheaper than a diesel pickup.

Diesels don't cost more to maintain.. air filters, oil filter and oil don't cost that much, and if you get your oil tested there are guys running 15,000 miles or more on an oil change.

What kills the diesels is repair costs, there's a definitely diesel tax at repair shops, they aren't harder to work on than gassers but somehow they really suck it to you. That is a reason I like an inline 6 diesel over the V8's.. everything is so much more accessible and simple. Friend of mine had to do his water pump in his 6.4 Ford, it was pretty much an all day job.. In my truck it's the belt and 2 bolts, and the water pump is CHEAP because it's a simple unit.. Same with turbocharger replacements, same with injectors and everything else!

Does anyone know if idling hurts the new gas trucks like it does the newer diesel trucks? I thought about this while I was feeding today. Truck probably stays running 1.5-2 hours but my feed route is maybe 5 miles. From what I understand the common rail diesels shouldn't idle for more than 10 minutes or so. I leave mine idling quite a bit and it doesn't seem to hurt it but you never know. I use a gasser to feed with now.

Lucky said:
Does anyone know if idling hurts the new gas trucks like it does the newer diesel trucks? I thought about this while I was feeding today. Truck probably stays running 1.5-2 hours but my feed route is maybe 5 miles. From what I understand the common rail diesels shouldn't idle for more than 10 minutes or so. I leave mine idling quite a bit and it doesn't seem to hurt it but you never know. I use a gasser to feed with now.

You're reading my mind. Been wondering the same thing but caused from using my remote start on cold mornings and parking in the pasture just looking at the girls.

Lucky said:

Idling does not hurt them at all. My 2011 ford v10 has 10052 hours on it, 4502 of them are idle hours. 10 spark plugs, three coil packs, and one alternator since it was new.

I believe that most new diesels have available high idle options, which will automatically raise the rpm's after a certain number of minutes at idle. You can select that amount of time on the newer ones. On my '06 6.0 Ford, it was a fairly simple mod of adding a wire to the up fitter switch, and you could control it manually.

Nesi, I'd have to disagree with you on the cost of maintenance. Maybe not on your Dodge, but the Powerstrokes I had and the Duramax I have now, air filters and fuel filters are definitely significantly higher cost than on the comparable gassers. And they get replaced a lot more often, especially fuel filters. Lots more oil capacity, too. Maybe you can offset that by running it longer, but I can't bring myself to do it. I change my oil at 5k miles, max.

All that said, I don't like using a diesel to feed with either...

It seems that what I was thinking was a high idle option, on new Fords at least, is actually a switch that turns the motor off after it has idled a certain length of time. My bad.