7.3 Powerstroke question

Help Support CattleToday:

Where you drive matters as well. Some can burn a full tank of gas and never change 1000ft elevation. And some of us can climb 1000ft elevation within 2 miles of the front door.

The digital display is a lie-o-meter!!

Fill it up the same and do the math.

Depends on the vehicle I'm sure but mine have always been pretty accurate, the key there being that they need 10 or more tanks to get a good average. Instant MPG is pretty much useless.

Are you guys sure your odometer is correct? Change in tire size can change the accuracy of the speedometer and odometer.

My 7.3 6 speed 4.10 geared ext cab flat bed gets about 6mpg hooked to a trailer nearly 100% of the time, the rare occasion its unhooked it gets about 14mpg at 60. Much faster than that and the rpms are singing and mileage plummets.

My other 7.3 auto 3.73 geared crew cab gets about 17-18mpg on its best day of 60mph highway cruising.

I think he's cherry picking, driving the truck only in optimal conditions and using that for his data, or like you say someone has programmed the odometer for larger tires or something. A truck will get infinite MPG if you push it downhill, doesn't really mean anything in real world conditions.

What you posted seems pretty typical for 7.3 trucks from what I've seen. 26mpg average is a statistical outlier for sure.

My '06 dodge 3500 4x4 dually on cruise control at 70 gets 21-22 . Not pulling or in the mountains.

I believe it
Those dodges around that year model in my opinion were the best made, followed by the powerstroke only because the Cummins got so much better fuel economy. The early 2000's Cummins was a fuel sipper empty and very durable.

My 7.3 IDI had a factory muffler that was rusting out. Flared out the exhaust from 1-7/8" stock to 3" and added a cheap glasspack Ran a 90 in front of the wheel to get exhaust outside the body area until I caught it on a fallen branch. Sawzall at the 90 and go. Relatively quiet as long as you keep your foot out of the throttle. Not terrible if you don't.

My 7.3 IDI had a factory muffler that was rusting out. Flared out the exhaust from 1-7/8" stock to 3" and added a cheap glasspack Ran a 90 in front of the wheel to get exhaust outside the body area until I caught it on a fallen branch. Sawzall at the 90 and go. Relatively quiet as long as you keep your foot out of the throttle. Not terrible if you don't.
Sawzall is the duct tape for real men!