7.3 Powerstroke question

Help Support CattleToday:

Straight pipes lower EGTs, but it's not really an issue unless the engine is tuned extremely hot. Most people do it for the sound.

Backpressure is a myth, more is not better. Scavenging is what matters and that happens within the first couple feet of exhaust (mainly the headers).

If you want it quieter, throw an aftermarket muffler on, it'll be fine. If you don't care or like the sound, just weld in a piece of pipe.

I had the same thing, 99 F350 single wheel, and it got 26 mpg, but it was a 6 speed manual. Do you know what programmer you have? Most popular one for those were the Bullydog. I had that programmer and the truck had its stock exhaust system.
I have a 01 250 with auto trans. Running a switchable chip but probably only getting 12-14 mpg at best. Did you have a SCT programmer ouachita or something different? If I could get upper teens empty I would be ecstatic.

Easiest and cheapest way would be to cut the tail pipe off after it goes over the Rear axle and before the 90 . Cut on angle to direct exhaust toward the ground. Or add a turn down tip after you cut it off.

I have an 02 F250 6 speed manual. It is still stock and will get around 18-19mpg max. If I can keep it in 6th gear and under 2000 rpms it gets the best mileage that way. It will be a little loud, but I would keep the straight pipe. The pipe can be cut and an extension added. A muffler/pipe shop can do it.

Totally different truck but as i was reading this a guy messaged me and has a 2005 F350 single wheel, single cab, 5.4 gas, 4x4 with tow package, 6 speed manual 75,000 original miles. Whats it worth?041723103.JPG

Kenny I saw that truck on facebook yard sale a few days ago. They said putting it in second gear was kinda hard, but it would go. They wanted to trade for a diesel 24v dodge or Ford 7.3 diesel. You could trade your Dodge for that. Nice looking truck.

Totally different truck but as i was reading this a guy messaged me and has a 2005 F350 single wheel, single cab, 5.4 gas, 4x4 with tow package, 6 speed manual 75,000 original miles. Whats it worth?View attachment 28985
Not much to me. I've gotta have a crew cab so I can haul my dog and wife in comfort, at the same time.

Kenny I saw that truck on facebook yard sale a few days ago. They said putting it in second gear was kinda hard, but it would go. They wanted to trade for a diesel 24v dodge or Ford 7.3 diesel. You could trade your Dodge for that. Nice looking truck.
It sold Friday and im trying to get it now

Totally different truck but as i was reading this a guy messaged me and has a 2005 F350 single wheel, single cab, 5.4 gas, 4x4 with tow package, 6 speed manual 75,000 original miles. Whats it worth?What were they asking for this one?View attachment 28985
I bought a 2009 just like it, same cab, same color, same miles and all in 2021 for $9k, and sold it a year later for $11k. Should have kept it. What were they asking for this one?

Like they said pipe should be fine either way. Thats a nice looking truck and one of the best ever built IMO. I have one just like it only white/ gold sitting right at 440,000 mi. right now. Still rarely leaves the driveway that it doesn't have a trailer on it and I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere tomorrow. Planning to take it to Wyoming this summer and just took it to Texas a few months ago. Mine wont touch 26 mpg but will do about 20 empty.

If you haven't picked out tires yet I love Firestone Transforce ATs on mine.

Well just bought a truck. Shew.
Should be a good dependable truck Kenny but I will warn you the 5.4 is a dog for power if you plan to pull much with it. It also takes a lot of RPMs to make what power it has. Hopefully it has some good gearing to help and I haven't driven a stick shift one so that may benefit you too. Hope it works out good for you.

Should be a good dependable truck Kenny but I will warn you the 5.4 is a dog for power if you plan to pull much with it. It also takes a lot of RPMs to make what power it has. Hopefully it has some good gearing to help and I haven't driven a stick shift one so that may benefit you too. Hope it works out good for you.
I had a 2008 at work and it didn't pull very well. It was an auto so im sure the 6 speed will help. It doesn't have a ball in it and i doubt i will put one in. I needed something so i dont have to unhook the cattle trailer to have a truck. It has a 373 rear end.

Post more pics of it when you get it. What trim level is it?
Its the cheaper version but had captian chairs ordered from the factory. Window sticker says that cost $230 extra. Not a dent on it. Part of the deal is the seller puts steps on it. I will pick it up this weekend probably.