Ford's New 7.3 Can Fit In a F-150...........

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
Ford debuted its revamped F-Series Heavy Duty lineup which introduced the brand's new 7.3-liter naturally aspirated V8 gasoline engine. No power, performance, and efficiency numbers are available yet, but the Blue Oval expects it to be "the most powerful gas V8 in its class."

If this is what it is cracked up to be diesel truck sales will decrease. This looks very appealing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/ford-says-its-new-73-liter-v8-can-fit-in-the-f-150-mustang/ar-BBTqRk6?li=BBnb4R5

$

jltrent said:
Ford debuted its revamped F-Series Heavy Duty lineup which introduced the brand's new 7.3-liter naturally aspirated V8 gasoline engine. No power, performance, and efficiency numbers are available yet, but the Blue Oval expects it to be "the most powerful gas V8 in its class."

If this is what it is cracked up to be diesel truck sales will decrease. This looks very appealing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/ford-says-its-new-73-liter-v8-can-fit-in-the-f-150-mustang/ar-BBTqRk6?li=BBnb4R5

$

Well since it doesn't appear I'll ever get you to cut loose of the truck I really want I guess I'll have to settle.

This is just a rough estimate. Let's see what the bigger 7.3-liter engine may be capable of.

62.1 hp/L * 7.3L = 453 hp
69.4 lb-ft/L * 7.3L = 506 lb-ft

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/02/how-much-power-will-fords-new-7-3l-v8-make-over-506-lb-ft-of-torque/

It will fit in the Mustang too.

The engine will be mated to Ford's new 10-speed automatic transmission. Imagine that in an F150 as they would have to beef up the drive train to handle the torque and HP.

jltrent said:
The engine will be mated to Ford's new 10-speed automatic transmission. Imagine that in an F150 as they would have to beef up the drive train to handle the torque and HP.
Then it would be a 250 series!

jltrent said:
Ford debuted its revamped F-Series Heavy Duty lineup which introduced the brand's new 7.3-liter naturally aspirated V8 gasoline engine. No power, performance, or efficiency <snip>

If this is what it is cracked up to be diesel truck sales will decrease. This looks very APPALLING.

Fixed it for you

Aaron said:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2FtNlfAbc2w

Oh baby! Might have to take a cold shower. Guess I have to keep the old 7.3 running until I can upgrade to the new and improved version. This will basically kill the diesel market in the 3/4 and 1 tons. And I thought the 6.2 was a sexy beast.
Good video. If good as advertised the diesel market, as I agree with you, will be slimmer.

2020-ford-super-duty-7.3L-v8-power-torque.jpg

Looks like Ford finally smarten up and built a Chevy LS motor lol . GM is also coming out with a new hd 6.6 direct injection v8.

Lots of Chevy's already get sold with the gas engines I would say more Ford's will now too, especially with the high diesel cost and added emissions equipment.

M & P said:
Wonder what the fuel mileage will be,, I bet it won't be good.
Probably as good as the 6.7 diesel which is not good. The 6.2 gas guys say around 14mpg on theirs, so I would say the 7.3 will be south of that. THis is using the swag method.

jltrent said:
M & P said:
Probably as good as the 6.7 diesel which is not good.

You nailed that.

I bought one of the beer can F350's a few months ago, the last tank I put through it had a cattle or dump trailer behind it the whole time and averaged 9.1 mpg. Got 9.8 pulling an empty tarp top 24' trailer back from Missouri not long after I bought it, have yet to put a tank through it without pulling anything.

It's a single cab dually with a Hydrabed, set up exactly the same as my old '96. I haven't weighed it yet, but going by the weigh tickets from the quarry it's about 1400 lbs heavier than the '96.

cfpinz said:
jltrent said:
M & P said:
Probably as good as the 6.7 diesel which is not good.

You nailed that.

I bought one of the beer can F350's a few months ago, the last tank I put through it had a cattle or dump trailer behind it the whole time and averaged 9.1 mpg. Got 9.8 pulling an empty tarp top 24' trailer back from Missouri not long after I bought it, have yet to put a tank through it without pulling anything.

It's a single cab dually with a Hydrabed, set up exactly the same as my old '96. I haven't weighed it yet, but going by the weigh tickets from the quarry it's about 1400 lbs heavier than the '96.
How fast do you drive? I've seen my Ram in the low 7's pulling hard and in the low 20's running 80 mph empty. I'd like to have a couple more gears down low and one up top. The 10 speed is where it's at Kenny.

True Grit Farms said:
How fast do you drive? I've seen my Ram in the low 7's pulling hard and in the low 20's running 80 mph empty. I'd like to have a couple more gears down low and one up top. The 10 speed is where it's at Kenny.

I'm actually a pretty slow driver, 70 is plenty fast for me on interstate. Wife has a SRW Cummins that does pretty well on fuel, but I bet it's close to 3k lighter than my truck. From what I've seen, dual wheels knock off about 2 mpg from the get go.

I'd like to see a 7 speed manual transmission with an extremely low 1st gear and two OD's, something like a .85 and a .65 for top end. The Mercedes G56 that was in my Dodge only had one OD (.75ish?), and the reverse was terrible when coupled with the fact you didn't have the option of using 2Low to back up a trailer.

The automatic transmission in my new Ford is my first A/T, and it's my favorite A/T that I've driven to date. The only reason I say that is because of the Manual option where you can specify the gear and eliminate downshifting when you floor it to make a grade. It also eliminates the annoying downshifting (too aggressive) when using the exhaust brake and tapping your brakes going downhill. That being said, I would have been happy to pay a premium to purchase a manual transmission in this truck.

Latest posts