Ford's New 7.3 Can Fit In a F-150...........

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms said:
To me the only good Ford gas engine was the 300ci 6cyl. The rest were just gas hogs trying to keep up with GM engines.

I had one in the early 90's, one of the first ones that were fuel injected and had split exhaust manifold. It had a lot of torque for a gas motor. Mine had a 5 speed manual hooked to it, you could put it in 3rd gear with no throttle and side step the clutch, it would lurch and buck, but off she'd go.

True Grit Farms said:
To me the only good Ford gas engine was the 300ci 6cyl. The rest were just gas hogs trying to keep up with GM engines.

I think I have posted before that back in the 70s I had a six cylinder ford truck with positive traction and I could put chains on that thing to feed hay with and put it in granny gear and it would push snow nearly up to the hood while I was on the back throwing hay bales to the cows.

pdfangus said:
True Grit Farms said:

I think I have posted before that back in the 70s I had a six cylinder ford truck with positive traction and I could put chains on that thing to feed hay with and put it in granny gear and it would push snow nearly up to the hood while I was on the back throwing hay bales to the cows.

I have a 1972 F250 4x4 fat bed with a 300 6cyl that I really need to have restored.

jehosofat said:
Aaron said:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2FtNlfAbc2w

Oh baby! Might have to take a cold shower. Guess I have to keep the old 7.3 running until I can upgrade to the new and improved version. This will basically kill the diesel market in the 3/4 and 1 tons. And I thought the 6.2 was a sexy beast.

450 to 500 lbs of torque will not kill the diesel market. The 1000 to 1200 lbs of torque market is strong. It'll be ok for medium towing, but not heavy.

While if the 7.3 turns out being as good as it sounds it still will not kill diesel pickups, it will take a good chunk of their sales from people who never tow over 20k lbs and have a sharp pencil. While that 1000 plus ft lbs that seems to be the new baseline for diesel pickups will be nice, it shore ain't free. The upcharge for the top output 1000 ft lbs Cummins with the asin transmission is $11,700 over the 6.4 Hemi on the 2019 rams. That coupled with gas a buck a gallon cheaper than diesel makes it hard to pencil out the diesel unless you are regularly hooked to over 20k.

hillbilly beef man said:
jehosofat said:
Aaron said:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2FtNlfAbc2w

Oh baby! Might have to take a cold shower. Guess I have to keep the old 7.3 running until I can upgrade to the new and improved version. This will basically kill the diesel market in the 3/4 and 1 tons. And I thought the 6.2 was a sexy beast.

450 to 500 lbs of torque will not kill the diesel market. The 1000 to 1200 lbs of torque market is strong. It'll be ok for medium towing, but not heavy.

While if the 7.3 turns out being as good as it sounds it still will not kill diesel pickups, it will take a good chunk of their sales from people who never tow over 20k lbs and have a sharp pencil. While that 1000 plus ft lbs that seems to be the new baseline for diesel pickups will be nice, it shore ain't free. The upcharge for the top output 1000 ft lbs Cummins with the asin transmission is $11,700 over the 6.4 Hemi on the 2019 rams. That coupled with gas a buck a gallon cheaper than diesel makes it hard to pencil out the diesel unless you are regularly hooked to over 20k.

that is why the used market is so good and the value of used trucks has climbed over the last few years. Paying 50k 60k or 70k for a truck is retarded IMO

True Grit Farms said:

Chevy never made a motor the likes of the 351 Cleveland or Boss 429 :compute: :pop:

Silver said:
True Grit Farms said:

Chevy never made a motor the likes of the 351 Cleveland or Boss 429 :compute: :pop:

once had a mustang with a 351 Cleveland.....only time I ever got speeding tickets....it would idle at 65 mph....

Silver said:
True Grit Farms said:

I built a 429 Thunder for my Ford truck in 1978. It was a tough engine, fed it a steady diet of NOS and never melted a piston. Just couldn't put the power out like a 454, and high performance Ford parts were 1 1/2 times more than GM.
The 351 Cleveland was a strong engine, my girlfriend had one in a 69? Gran Torino.

Silver said:
True Grit Farms said:

Stick with cows, you don't know sheit about motors. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bovine breeder said:
kenny thomas said:
Why would you want a 10 speed automatic in a pickup? At work I have a Kenworth tandem hauling a bulldozer and it has a 6 speed automatic.

So you have Plenty of gears to always keep it in its miserable powerband :D

I had an 800 cu in 400 hp Big Cam Cummins turbo that had a 15 sp. behind it and a 300 rpm power band............only nice thing about it was that it was a synchro tranny and on catching a gear up or down, slight pressure on the stick, let off the pedal, give it a few seconds and "click" in the next gear. Only time you clutched it was stopping and starting and that was only for the first gear.

Silver said:
True Grit Farms said:

I don't know bout that I had a 69 GTO cranking out 370 ponies from the factory. Pass anything on the highway but a gas station. Only seen two cars from the factory that could outperform it. One was a 67 Super Bee with a 383 magnum and three deuces. The second was 70 Chevy SS with a 454.

Caustic Burno said:
Silver said:
True Grit Farms said:

I don't know bout that I had a 69 GTO cranking out 370 ponies from the factory. Pass anything on the highway but a gas station. Only seen two cars from the factory that could outperform it. One was a 67 Super Bee with a 383 magnum and three deuces. The second was 70 Chevy SS with a 454.

Funny thing is a 2019 Camry V6 will whoop them in just about every way except the coolness factor.

Atimm693 said:
Caustic Burno said:
Silver said:

Funny thing is a 2019 Camry V6 will whoop them in just about every way except the coolness factor.

I should hope so. About the same age spread from the GTO to the Camry as from the Ford Model T to the GTO. :lol2:

The new Ford gasser will be a flop if it doesn't make allot of torque down low like the diesels do. Gassers have to stay wound pretty tight to tow like diesel. I really don't understand why the big 3 think they need to try this every 7-8 years.

Because every 7-8-10 years there is a whole new bunch of drivers that need to have the newest/best/fanciest/ brightest. The "older generation" by then has too many bills, kids,house etc to be making these payments on fancy. The young ones coming up want the sexiest thing they can find. And then the "oldest generation" that needs to replace theirs, usually has more discrecenary money to spend on a new truck..

Guess we will never reach that point. I'm with pdfangus, about spending more on a truck than a house and piece of property costs.... and just think you can finance them for 72 months now....OUCH....

farmerjan said:
Because every 7-8-10 years there is a whole new bunch of drivers that need to have the newest/best/fanciest/ brightest. The "older generation" by then has too many bills, kids,house etc to be making these payments on fancy. The young ones coming up want the sexiest thing they can find. And then the "oldest generation" that needs to replace theirs, usually has more discrecenary money to spend on a new truck..

Guess we will never reach that point. I'm with pdfangus, about spending more on a truck than a house and piece of property costs.... and just think you can finance them for 72 months now....OUCH....

Jan, they will go even longer than 72 months. I know they will do 84. And my guess would be they will go longer. Not for me they won't. I've never owned but one new truck. May never own another one. Used works for me. They just cost entirely too much.

Good Lord, I didn't know they would finance that long. I am with you JMJ, I will probably never own another new one. Bought a new 2 wd supercab leftover when the new year models came out, in 1979. Peppermint green. My father called the oversized peppermint patty, not in a good way. I had gotten divorced and had a little plymouth duster that I was trying to use to carry hay and feed and whatever. Cost like 3-4,000 I think. I used and abused that truck.
Everything we buy now is used. And then we replace/rebuild the parts that wear out, like the engine in my 2000 Subaru Forester car after 287,000 miles. My son's trucks get so many holes in them that the frames practically fall apart in half when the floorboards are shot. He had over 450,000 on the one truck and the floor was so bad that the diesel fumes would make you sick. But it survived more encounters with trees and gullies in the years of feeding til it finally literally fell apart. Got over 250,000 on the couple of 90's models we have now. Put a new flywheel and stuff in the one, and it mostly just pulls the cattle trailer now. The one bale bed truck has over 350,000 on it now and it has had some Hard use.

My only complaint on the gas motors is the resale. If you drive them until the wheels fall of then it doesn't matter. If you drive a lot of miles and trade in often they rape you on a gas motor.

Since we are covering wtx now we have dodge, ford, and GM 3/4 gassers at work. Most of the guys run to the gms, followed by the fords in a close 2nd. They pawn the dodges off on the new guys.

Once you get over the initial shock of the upfront cost all pickups pretty much cost the same to operate. Like Brute says the gassers kill you on resale while the diesels hold value but kill you on upfront cost. I own Diesel and gas pickups and they both have their place. Don't think a gasser will replace a Diesel though. Ford had the V10 what happened to it? Chevy had the 8.1 wheres it at?

Latest posts