Ford to add one of world's biggest V8 engines

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky said:
HDRider said:
Lucky said:
Be interesting to see the fuel milage stats. My '19 F350 single wheel w/6.2L gets 10 mpg highway and around 7 towing a 10 bale row dump. The bed and feeder on it weigh around 3,000# but would still think it'd get 13-15 mpg.

Wonder what it will cost compared to the diesel? Might have to drive one.

I would have hoped the MPG would be higher.

I was hoping for better too. I can live with 10mpg if the truck holds up for 10-12 yrs with minimal repairs. I have a '18 F350 dually with the 6.7L diesel and best I've seen is 14 mpg. Both are 4x4 with no mods and factory tires. I hear about these trucks getting 18-20 but have a hard time believing it.

As long as diesel stays 15-20% more expensive than gas, fuel economy gains with a diesel are a wash.

Makes me wonder if big gas engines will make a return to tractors.

Kingfisher said:
ClodHopper37869 said:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_GAA_engine

I found this 1,100 cubic inch v8 ford made in WW 2 to power Sherman tanks. 500 hp and over 1000 ft lbs. No info on fuel usage though.

Twin Stromberg carbs, she was a gas burner. per wikipedia, that was some engine, all aluminum 32-valve DOHC's, dual magnetos and twin spark plugs! I would like to have one, just to listen it run while nursing a Long Neck. Years ago I had a Franklin Railroad engine, I could set out at the shop with that thing running, sleep like a baby, neighbor would hear it running,
and bring a 6pk, and wake me up. set around and BS a while.. Awww the good old days.

Why did you have a Franklin railroad engine?
[/quote]

I just find all engines very interesting, the FAIRMONT looked like a old flywheel motor, but Fairmont made these engines up to the early 70s, 2 cycle, ran forward or backwards. I would like to have a Hall-Scott too.

Why did they call them railway engines?
Speaking of engines. There is a post on Newagtalk with pictures of Oshkosh and 18 P51's all cranked up. They said the sound of all those Merlin's at once was pretty cool.

Kingfisher said:
Why did they call them railway engines?
Speaking of engines. There is a post on Newagtalk with pictures of Oshkosh and 18 P51's all cranked up. They said the sound of all those Merlin's at once was pretty cool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairmont_Railway_Motors

google faimont railway engines you'll get 100's of hits.

Merlins do sound Cool, I was at Middlesboro KY airport once when the P38 Glacier Girl was flying out. And went to the Tennessee Museum of Aviation went the P47 Hun Hunter was flying, ain't nothing sounds like a round motor..but the V12s do have sweet sound.

Atimm693 said:
Makes me wonder if big gas engines will make a return to tractors.

That would not surprise me with the HP and Torque the gas engines are making now. I would not mind having one....

Diesel is about $.30 higher than gas right now and I drive about 20,000 miles a year. I think it's still cheaper fuel wise to drive the diesel. It's the 10k up front and maintenance cost that get you.

I had an 8hp Fairmont (13hp peak)... I puttered with it a bit but never did anything with it, ended up selling it a few years ago.

I don't think you'll ever see a gasoline powered tractor of any size, Diesels just shine when you put a load on them, especially the turbo diesels... I agree that most people don't need diesel pickups, especially the newer ones with insanely expensive pollution controls and other parts that are nearly impossible to fix yourself

Lucky said:
Be interesting to see the fuel milage stats. My '19 F350 single wheel w/6.2L gets 10 mpg highway and around 7 towing a 10 bale row dump. The bed and feeder on it weigh around 3,000# but would still think it'd get 13-15 mpg.

Wonder what it will cost compared to the diesel? Might have to drive one.

About every time I've seen the math done on it, you have to tow weekly/daily to make the higher initial and regular maintenance costs worth it dollar wise. Seat of the pants and smile wise the diesel wins every day. Gas is cheaper overall due to lower initial costs, fuel costs, and maintenance costs despite being less fuel efficient.

I went out cruising with a buddy in his Jeep Grand Cherokee... He topped up the tank at one point along the trip, remainder of the trip was slow going, backroads and such.. My truck used less fuel on the entire trip than he did on the last leg... Our 1990 Land cruiser 6 cyl gasser is a total pig, struggles to get over 15mpg, and if you're on backroads and such, it's goes lower.. and it has no darned power.. My truck gets better mileage than the Land cruiser while towing the land cruiser on a trailer... and has power left over.
I don't find the maintenance costs on my truck too high, but since it's a simple engine I can do it all myself.. I bought an injector pop tester (handy around the farm too)

Last year had too buy two new trucks, just because it was time and tax reasons, first time that I went to gas, bought a f-350 and a f-250, just couldn't calculate it out to spend the extra 10 to 12 thousand per truck on initial cost, not counting the extra after cost with oil change, def, filters and fuel cost, we still pull job trailers,skidloaders and 4 wheel drive scissor lifts, don't get me wrong the torque isn't the same as a diesel, but still get the job done and at the end when it's all done it isn't worth the 4000 dollars on trade in value that the diesel brings.

haase said:
Last year had too buy two new trucks, just because it was time and tax reasons, first time that I went to gas, bought a f-350 and a f-250, just couldn't calculate it out to spend the extra 10 to 12 thousand per truck on initial cost, not counting the extra after cost with oil change, def, filters and fuel cost, we still pull job trailers,skidloaders and 4 wheel drive scissor lifts, don't get me wrong the torque isn't the same as a diesel, but still get the job done and at the end when it's all done it isn't worth the 4000 dollars on trade in value that the diesel brings.

What if you had gotten them with lower rear end gears? Guys that go from diesel to gas say you hardly notice any difference if you get the right junk in the rear end.

Lower gears definitely would help, probably 4.10's would be a happy medium, 4.56's are really low.. if you do any highway driving it's going to suck fuel back

Aaron said:
haase said:

What if you had gotten them with lower rear end gears? Guys that go from diesel to gas say you hardly notice any difference if you get the right junk in the rear end.
I ordered my F-350 with 4:30s and I am well pleased. It pulls about the same as a stock 6.0 diesel.

Nesikep said:
Lower gears definitely would help, probably 4.10's would be a happy medium, 4.56's are really low.. if you do any highway driving it's going to suck fuel back

I still balk at anything over a 4:10 myself but they do a lot better these days with 8 and 10 speed transmissions. Allows both good pulling and better efficiency on the highway.

Lower gears would help, just not sure how much it would effect fuel mileage, like Nesikep said 4:10 gears would probably be the happy medium.

haase said:
Lower gears would help, just not sure how much it would effect fuel mileage, like Nesikep said 4:10 gears would probably be the happy medium.

Depends on the amount of highway driving that's done.. It's true that the new automatics have multiple, and steeper overdrives, so that might help highway mileage..
If you're doing a fair bit of slow driving, start/stop, and hills, the lower gears will do better, and probably extend transmission life.. though again, with so many gears possible in the tranny, might not notice it as much except from a dead stop.

jltrent said:
Ford pickups to add one of world's biggest V8 engines this fall

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos-trucks/ford-pickups-to-add-one-of-worlds-biggest-v8-engines-this-fall/ar-AAFbBbA?li=BBnbfcL

A 7.3L gasoline-powered V8 coming to Ford's Super Duty pickups and commercial vehicles, from ambulances and utility bucket trucks to just a step shy of massive highway semitrucks.

$

Many years ago I owned a 3/4 ton Ford with a 460 CI engine in it that equates to 7.5L. Did not develop but 375 hp

hurleyjd said:
jltrent said:
Ford pickups to add one of world's biggest V8 engines this fall

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos-trucks/ford-pickups-to-add-one-of-worlds-biggest-v8-engines-this-fall/ar-AAFbBbA?li=BBnbfcL

A 7.3L gasoline-powered V8 coming to Ford's Super Duty pickups and commercial vehicles, from ambulances and utility bucket trucks to just a step shy of massive highway semitrucks.

$

Many years ago I owned a 3/4 ton Ford with a 460 CI engine in it that equates to 7.5L. Did not develop but 375 hp

That must have been a fun truck if you had it cranked up to 375 hp. Dad had a 95 with the stock 460 with 245 hp and it was still pretty good for back then.

Latest posts