Salvage yard engines...

Help Support CattleToday:

I've moved on from the two engines I mentioned.

Personally, I think you might have missed a good opportunity with those engines IF you could check them out thoroughly.

And what @TexasRancher said about rust belt engines is a good idea too. I knew a guy in Arkansas that made his living running good bodies with worn out engines north to the rust belt, and turning around and bringing low milage drive trains south from vehicles that rusted out from around them.

As a rust belt mechanic the trouble is engines and components rust along with the rest of the vehicle. Exhaust manifolds, manifold bolts become one piece with the cyl head, oil pans, freeze plugs, timing covers, emissions components, aluminum intakes, etc all rust and corrode.

I find myself needing an engine for my 99 f350. Has the 2 valve v10.

I've found a couple low mile engines out of totaled vehicles. Found one, 47k miles, from a flooded RV. Found another from a f550 that the cab had burned, 74k miles. Price is pretty low on both.

Would yall shy away from either engine? Flood and fire damage both turn me away. Am I thinking right there?
Most reputable salvage yards offer extended warranties very reasonable. Like a year for a few hundred dollars.
Or the ones around home in MS. Check www.car-part.com for a list of used engines/parts in your area.

Life is never as black and white as we'd all hope. Lol.

I'm fortunate to have trucks available to me to use while I figure out how I'm going to resurrect the v10 truck.

I've moved on from the two engines I mentioned.

Shop that diagnosed the truck quoted me $6 grand on a 141k mile engine swapped in. Bit too steep for me right now.

I'm finding graded A used engines for 1500 to 2000 with a little warranty. 80 to 140k miles. Another $1000 in parts and party favors...I think I can swap it with a bit of help. No better time than right now to do my first swap. I trust my work more than most anyways.

@kenny thomas I will look for a motor for your yota too.
there's an RV salvage yard outside of Springield Mo that usually has a lot of low mileage RV's with structural problems that have very lo mileage. You can usually find some of those yourself if you look around various websites and the entire vehicle will be cheaper than just a motor and you'll have a low mileage trans with it as well. A lot of people buy those motor homes and never use them then the weather takes them

Compared to a new 50k-60k gas burner that is a good price IMO. If the rest of the truck is solid you should get many more miles.
Yeah with a 7-year warranty I don't know how you could lose on that motor unless all of your other parts that you need to complete it aren't any good. It's actually a really a pretty easy swap

Says "7 year warranty available".. for how much extra?

What does it actually cover?

Who will service it under their warranty?

What kind of deductible does it have?

As a mechanic I've seen so many "warranties" that aren't worth the paper they are printed in. Warranties that cover very little/nothing, warranties that pay so little they are useless, etc.

Says "7 year warranty available".. for how much extra?

What does it actually cover?

Who will service it under their warranty?

What kind of deductible does it have?

As a mechanic I've seen so many "warranties" that aren't worth the paper they are printed in. Warranties that cover very little/nothing, warranties that pay so little they
Damn those details always getting in the way. !
I believe it comes with a 5-year warranty and the seven-year warranty is additional.
But if it was me. I would certainly go for a remanufactured motor with a warranty then one from the junkyard.
But then again it just depends on how important the truck is. I spent many years pulling junkyard motors and have been wrenching on cars/trucks/motors since 1976 so I've had my fair share of junkyard failures.
I guess it really depends on how important it is that truck starts every single day.

Even if it comes with a 5y warranty a guy would need to read the fine print to see what and if it actually covers anything.

I would rebuild it myself with zero warranty before I would trust any "remanufactured" motor offering some 5-7y unknown warranty. The standards are usually pretty loose for many mass rebuilders (not checking pushrods for straightness, reusing timing chains, not grinding cranks that really need grinding, etc).

Damn those details always getting in the way. !
I believe it comes with a 5-year warranty and the seven-year warranty is additional.
But if it was me. I would certainly go for a remanufactured motor with a warranty then one from the junkyard.
But then again it just depends on how important the truck is. I spent many years pulling junkyard motors and have been wrenching on cars/trucks/motors since 1976 so I've had my fair share of junkyard failures.
I guess it really depends on how important it is that truck starts every single day.
Most vehicles that are in the wrecking yard are only there for one reason. Something low milage and rear ended, totaled, is always a good bet for a good engine and trans.

I've rebuilt two totaled trucks and have a car with a rebuilt title and none of them have given me problems with their drive trains. A wheel bearing in two of them, brakes and tires due to miles driven, and that's all I've had to replace.

Somebody was looking for a V10 as I remember. Sometimes in the long run it is cheaper to just buy the truck with it in it. Here is a nice one on marketplace with 70k miles.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 6
I've been seeing quite a few engines with less than 50k miles that have been pulled from RV's and E series vans. 1500 to 2500 bucks, some even have transmissions still mounted. Fits my budget a lot better. Quite a few of them are within 3 or 4 hours. Gonna have a road trip here in a week or two to Georgia and pick one up.

You all are awesome for the good info.

Would it be wise to replace any stuff on the new-to-me engine before i put it in the truck? Will get new spark plugs in the least.

Last edited:
Timing belt? I don't know if they have one, but we put a new timing belt in the "new used" engine out of the wrecked car for the subaru outback... 50,000 miles but mechanic said it was wise and so I said do it... Runs really good....

Hard to say about what parts to replace before install. Some engines have 1 or 2 plugs that are a beatch to get to once installed so yes! on those. Radiator hoses may be a yes too if yours are old. Other 'consumables' like heater hoses and wiring harness shielding you'll just have to look at.
Look close at gasket interfaces (valve cover-timing cover-oil pan) for signs of leaking and of course, front/rear oil seals areas for evidence... water pump weep hole too (they still have those?)

Freeze plugs need a good eye cast on them too.

Look it over good. Ya never know what damage might incur when a yard pulls one out, or may have happened during the accident that put it in a yard.

I think it would be very smart to do the rear main and oil pan at the very least. I pull the oil pan on any used engine just to eyeball the rod caps, and see what may be laying in it.

Manifold bolts on those V10s are real bad about breaking off as well, usually the rear-most bolts that suck to get at, I would put some new gaskets and hardware on them for sure before you drop it in.

Latest posts