Salvage yard engines...

Help Support CattleToday:

Correct. If the engine had good oil pressure, wasn't consuming oil, and didn't have excessive blow-by. I would just fix the heads and keep driving it.
With 285k miles I would guess rebuild heads would put pressure on the lower end, but I pour concrete for a living.

I know crate engines are expensive, but they are rebuilt at places that have the tools, experienced mechanics and gauges, etc. (not shade tree mechanics) to built them back to specs. and they come with a warranty. If you like playing Russian roulette and yes sometimes you win then get a engine out of a junker. A year from now when you are driving down the road with that nice fairly expensive crate engine that is running like new you will have a grin on your face and pretty much forgotten about the expense.

I wouldnt say that all crate engines are built by experienced mechanics or done properly.

I've personally seen 3 botched Jasper crate engines in my career and I'm not even a full time auto mechanic.

I bought a "reman" tractor motor from a well known outfit in Oregon and after 100 hours of use I ended up rebuilding it because the blow-by and oil consumption were unacceptable.

Last edited:
I had my mechanic put a new "crate engine" in my 2000 forester and replaced the transmission... cost me around $6,000 including mechanic costs... I found a couple of foresters for around the same price, used... but no guarantees... I know my car, like it, and it was worth it to me. It should last me until I croak.... put a newer used engine out of a wreck, in my 2001 outback, mechanic took 6 months to find it... and I use that car for work. Cost around $4,000 for the engine and them putting it in and all... had a 6 month warranty. At $200/mo car payment, that car's engine is almost paid for after driving it for 18 months now . And no monthly payment. Fewer electronic stuff to go wrong than a new vehicle.... gets decent mileage....
Bought my parents 2012 Ford explorer, from the estate, and it has been a continuing problem... as soon as they get this latest "unable to communicate" BS that won't show the center screen so I can play a radio, see the "climate control stuff"... no backup camera which I don't like anyway... fixed, it is getting sold. Hate it and tired of all the "things that go wrong"... it is like new inside, late 70's-early 80's year old parents never even opened the 3rd row seats... but it does not impress me.... my brother thought I should buy it since it was in such good shape... have a "nice car" to drive... MISTAKE.... don't like it and not going to keep it. Never saw it until we went up to settle estate... drives nice but just not me.

It would me, but I'm not a handyman
If water flooded my question is how long ago and was it fully flooded (under water for a time). The reason for the low price is the damage maybe realized by the owners. Personally, I'd pass on both. The fire may have warped something you can't see, The water may have been inside engine too long. My opinion only from a mechanical standpoint. Wishing you the best and a Very Merry Christmas.

Nothing wrong with fixing it yourself. You can rent a cherry picker and engine stand at Oreilly's.

6ZJnsZ8.jpg

Last edited:
I know crate engines are expensive, but they are rebuilt at places that have the tools, experienced mechanics and gauges, etc. (not shade tree mechanics) to built them back to specs. and they come with a warranty. If you like playing Russian roulette and yes sometimes you win then get a engine out of a junker. A year from now when you are driving down the road with that nice fairly expensive crate engine that is running like new you will have a grin on your face and pretty much forgotten about the expense.
I find that, once I wipe the tear from my eye with an expense like that I am smiling and the expense is in the past tense as you appreciate the reliability.

Ken

Life is never as black and white as we'd all hope. Lol.

I'm fortunate to have trucks available to me to use while I figure out how I'm going to resurrect the v10 truck.

I've moved on from the two engines I mentioned.

Shop that diagnosed the truck quoted me $6 grand on a 141k mile engine swapped in. Bit too steep for me right now.

I'm finding graded A used engines for 1500 to 2000 with a little warranty. 80 to 140k miles. Another $1000 in parts and party favors...I think I can swap it with a bit of help. No better time than right now to do my first swap. I trust my work more than most anyways.

@kenny thomas I will look for a motor for your yota too.

Life is never as black and white as we'd all hope. Lol.

I'm fortunate to have trucks available to me to use while I figure out how I'm going to resurrect the v10 truck.

I've moved on from the two engines I mentioned.

Shop that diagnosed the truck quoted me $6 grand on a 141k mile engine swapped in. Bit too steep for me right now.

I'm finding graded A used engines for 1500 to 2000 with a little warranty. 80 to 140k miles. Another $1000 in parts and party favors...I think I can swap it with a bit of help. No better time than right now to do my first swap. I trust my work more than most anyways.

@kenny thomas I will look for a motor for your yota too.
There is a machine shop in Morristown TN that will rebuild it for you but they dont take it out or put it back in. They quoted me about the same price as a used motor

I agree with what JlTrent says...buy professionally done crate engines-transmissions and the cost won't be felt or seen after a year...all will be peace of mind. That said, 3 years ago...I had the BEST LUCK buying a used complete 5.7 liter GM engine on E-Bay for $550. shipped. It was a northern rust belt engine from near D.C., Oil stays clean, perfect compression...a bargain that I believe it had been recently rebuilt. Additionally I purchased a 119k miles GM FWD transmission (again from those northern rust belt states) on E-bay for $425 shipped....and it's "perfect" can't even feel it shift. I've found if you find a good reputable engine-transmission wholesaler that tests components-logs them before they shelf them....it's way better than going to a wrecking yard, smelling a tranny dip-stick or turning an engine slowly.

Latest posts