Ford to add one of world's biggest V8 engines

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
Ford pickups to add one of world's biggest V8 engines this fall

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos-trucks/ford-pickups-to-add-one-of-worlds-biggest-v8-engines-this-fall/ar-AAFbBbA?li=BBnbfcL

A 7.3L gasoline-powered V8 coming to Ford's Super Duty pickups and commercial vehicles, from ambulances and utility bucket trucks to just a step shy of massive highway semitrucks.

$

Looks like they are going back to basics, good old cubic inches and pushrods.

Seems like a good solution considering the way diesels are going.

"Worlds biggest" is a bit of an exaggeration though.

Looks like it will be a solid engine, but I agree biggest is a bit of an exaggeration. While 445 cubic inches is big today, it was not that long ago that ford put a 534
gas V8 in their heavy trucks. Anyone know of a bigger gas v8?

hillbilly beef man said:
Looks like it will be a solid engine, but I agree biggest is a bit of an exaggeration. While 445 cubic inches is big today, it was not that long ago that ford put a 534

GM made a 572, but it wasn't a production engine.

The biggest pickup engine I can think of is the 8.1 Vortec.

Thoughtful of them to block a handicapped parking spot...maybe the driver was.....or needed to be. I noticed the current black fad has made it into lawnmowers too. Maybe it's not just a fad but a way to get away from Chroming metal since that isn't an environmentally friendly process....Detroit has been eliminating it for years. Looks like they have gone full tilt.

Regulations have sapped diesel engines, and regulations have made diesel fuel so expensive, a powerful gas replacement makes sense.

Fuel management technology, and hi tech transmissions have made gassers a powerful option.

Atimm693 said:
hillbilly beef man said:

GM gas v8s bigger than 7.3

You can still buy new 8.1 crate motors today, and they will direct swap with at least 2013 and older, I don't know about newer.

sim.-ang.king said:
Atimm693 said:
hillbilly beef man said:

You can still buy new 8.1 crate motors today, and they will direct swap with at least 2013 and older, I don't know about newer.

Sim, are any of those available in a new GM truck?

HDRider said:
sim.-ang.king said:
Atimm693 said:

Sim, are any of those available in a new GM truck?

I wish.
But I know what your getting at, but I was just replying to what was GM's largest V-8. Which actually their largest V8 was made by Detroit (a GM company), and put in the GMC cab-overs.

Forgot about another GM Gas V8. The all new 488 8.0LFI industrial. Not approved for on road use..."YET."
Just wait till they get it EPA approved and start putting it in the 4500/5500's.

ClodHopper37869 said:
From memory HaHa, back in the 40s, LeRoy, Buda, Hercules, Hall- Scott made some monster gas engines, I think Leroy 8-900 cid gas V8.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_GAA_engine

I found this 1,100 cubic inch v8 ford made in WW 2 to power Sherman tanks. 500 hp and over 1000 ft lbs. No info on fuel usage though.

I found this 1,100 cubic inch v8 ford made in WW 2 to power Sherman tanks. 500 hp and over 1000 ft lbs. No info on fuel usage though.
[/quote]

Twin Stromberg carbs, she was a gas burner. per wikipedia, that was some engine, all aluminum 32-valve DOHC's, dual magnetos and twin spark plugs! I would like to have one, just to listen it run while nursing a Long Neck. Years ago I had a Franklin Railroad engine, I could set out at the shop with that thing running, sleep like a baby, neighbor would hear it running,
and bring a 6pk, and wake me up. set around and BS a while.. Awww the good old days.

ClodHopper37869 said:

Twin Stromberg carbs, she was a gas burner. per wikipedia, that was some engine, all aluminum 32-valve DOHC's, dual magnetos and twin spark plugs! I would like to have one, just to listen it run while nursing a Long Neck. Years ago I had a Franklin Railroad engine, I could set out at the shop with that thing running, sleep like a baby, neighbor would hear it running,
and bring a 6pk, and wake me up. set around and BS a while.. Awww the good old days.
[/quote]

Why did you have a Franklin railroad engine?

Be interesting to see the fuel milage stats. My '19 F350 single wheel w/6.2L gets 10 mpg highway and around 7 towing a 10 bale row dump. The bed and feeder on it weigh around 3,000# but would still think it'd get 13-15 mpg.

Wonder what it will cost compared to the diesel? Might have to drive one.

Lucky said:
Be interesting to see the fuel milage stats. My '19 F350 single wheel w/6.2L gets 10 mpg highway and around 7 towing a 10 bale row dump. The bed and feeder on it weigh around 3,000# but would still think it'd get 13-15 mpg.

I would have hoped the MPG would be higher.

What a bad headline.. GM has had 525's in school busses for a long time, Ford had a the 460's in pickups and vans (this is a 445), and of course GM had the 454

HDRider said:
Lucky said:

I would have hoped the MPG would be higher.

I was hoping for better too. I can live with 10mpg if the truck holds up for 10-12 yrs with minimal repairs. I have a '18 F350 dually with the 6.7L diesel and best I've seen is 14 mpg. Both are 4x4 with no mods and factory tires. I hear about these trucks getting 18-20 but have a hard time believing it.

Latest posts