GM 6.6 gas engines

Help Support CattleToday:

Just did some reading on it. Looks like the replacement for the 6.0. Basically a stroked 6.2 with an iron block. No AFM so that's good.

The 6.2 is good but it's a light duty engine. All aluminum and never offered in the 2500/3500 trucks.

Probably the answer to Ford's 7.3 gasser.

I drove one pulling a JD 6165 and an old heavy trailer. Probably 20k plus the pickup I'd guess. Went 900 miles. Through the hills of kansas, no mountains for sure. Set the cruise on 70 and it didn't have any trouble. Would look down and be running 4k rpm and could hardly hear it. Almost bought one but I am a ford guy so I got a 7.3. I think the 7.3 is better. It gets better mpg loaded but worse empty. Probably because of the 10 speed? It does seem to pull a little better but it is quit a bit louder.

I drove one pulling a JD 6165 and an old heavy trailer. Probably 20k plus the pickup I'd guess. Went 900 miles. Through the hills of kansas, no mountains for sure. Set the cruise on 70 and it didn't have any trouble. Would look down and be running 4k rpm and could hardly hear it. Almost bought one but I am a ford guy so I got a 7.3. I think the 7.3 is better. It gets better mpg loaded but worse empty. Probably because of the 10 speed? It does seem to pull a little better but it is quit a bit louder.
I had never heard of a 6165 until just now, had to look that up.

What MPG are you getting with the 7.3 empty and loaded? SRW or DRW? What rear axle ratio? I'm thinking of getting one when my old '97 7.3 daily driver finally goes tits up.

Thanks.

Ford is coming out with a Mini-Zilla. Sounds interesting to me. My wife's brother who makes pistons at Mahle informed me last week. Might want to take a look. Also he said the piston design for the new 2023 6.7 Powerstrokes are taking on a few design changes. He said a deeper groove and other changes as in his opinion they are fixing to boost the HP again. The guy has worked there forty years and he knows pistons.

Last edited:
The new 6.8L Ford does look interesting. I like the 6.2L in our feed truck but it gets terrible fuel milage.

I had never heard of a 6165 until just now, had to look that up.

What MPG are you getting with the 7.3 empty and loaded? SRW or DRW? What rear axle ratio? I'm thinking of getting one when my old '97 7.3 daily driver finally goes tits up.

Thanks.
Opps that was a typo, I meant 6615.

For MPG I get 14 or so around local farm to market roads driving slow and easy, 15 doing 75 down the interstate and got 16.2 doing 70 one time for about 80 miles. It's a F350 SRW long bed crew cab, 3.73 axles. Get 6.5 when hauling cows. Usually go across the scales between 30-35k. That's about 200 mile day loaded both ways and it's almost all hilly farm to market roads and dirt roads. The guy that I work with on that job has a 2020 ford diesel and he gets 8.5 for comparison.
I had a 2021 f250 short bed crew cab with 3.55. It got maybe .2 or .3 better for mpg empty but not much.

Ford is coming out with a Mini-Zilla. Sounds interesting to me. My wife's brother who makes pistons at Mahle informed me last week. Might want to take a look. Also he said the piston design for the new 2023 6.7 Powerstrokes are taking on a few design changes. He said a deeper groove and other changes as in his opinion they are fixing to boost the HP again. The guy has worked there forty years and he knows pistons.

I saw that the new power stroke was going to have 500 hp and 1200 torque. That's a big jump from where they have been.

I saw that the new power stroke was going to have 500 hp and 1200 torque. That's a big jump from where they have been.
That's insane. In 2004, I bought a 2001 Duramax and thought 560? ft lbs was awesome. Loved the fuel mileage. I could get 24mpg running empty, and diesel was cheaper than gas pre-Katrina. When I drove it off the lot, I went straight to the fueling station, wife followed in her Suburban. Diesel was $1.42 and 87 octane gas was $1.68

My 17' powerstroke is at 440hp and 925 lb-ft. It is way more then I need so I doubt I would notice another 60 hp and 275 lb-ft. I would probably notice the money missing from my account. Lol.

Opps that was a typo, I meant 6615.

For MPG I get 14 or so around local farm to market roads driving slow and easy, 15 doing 75 down the interstate and got 16.2 doing 70 one time for about 80 miles. It's a F350 SRW long bed crew cab, 3.73 axles. Get 6.5 when hauling cows. Usually go across the scales between 30-35k. That's about 200 mile day loaded both ways and it's almost all hilly farm to market roads and dirt roads. The guy that I work with on that job has a 2020 ford diesel and he gets 8.5 for comparison.
I had a 2021 f250 short bed crew cab with 3.55. It got maybe .2 or .3 better for mpg empty but not much.
Thank You.

I've got a 2019 F350 DRW single cab with a bale bed on it. From the factory I got 7.1 hauling hay and 11ish empty. After a few minor adjustments it gets 8.8 loaded and will get 14-16 empty. I'm pleased with it as a work truck, but would be interested in one of the 7.3 gas engines as my everyday truck when I need another. I'm leaning towards the 4.30's as the new 10 speed has 3 OD's and the upper one is pretty steep, plus we live in the mountains.

Thank You.

I've got a 2019 F350 DRW single cab with a bale bed on it. From the factory I got 7.1 hauling hay and 11ish empty. After a few minor adjustments it gets 8.8 loaded and will get 14-16 empty. I'm pleased with it as a work truck, but would be interested in one of the 7.3 gas engines as my everyday truck when I need another. I'm leaning towards the 4.30's as the new 10 speed has 3 OD's and the upper one is pretty steep, plus we live in the mountains.
I thought about the 4.30 rear end but I think the 10 speed is the reason to go with 3.73 not the other way. I just lock out 9 and 10 and in 8th at 70 it runs 2100 rpm or so. Which would be similar to 4.30's in 10th. And that way when empty you can get a little better mileage.

Thank You.

I am about convinced the gear ratio in the trans has as much or more to do with power as the rears. That 550 has really shown that. I can take the same load, same hill, same gear and RPMs with my 350 as the 550. With the higher gear rear in my 350 I am just traveling faster. The power kill comes in being in the higher gear trans wise. That 550 doesn't have more power it just moves slower. I can see why with the older 5 spd. trucks the low gear helps starting out but L gets rid of that when you get to the 6 spd. Same apllies in the auto trans. As they have added gears 1st. is quite a bit lower than before.

The majority of my driving is 55mph or less, so I gravitate towards the lower gears. Plus I cross a pretty decent mountain twice a day on average, so trucks with lower rears tend to hold up a little better in my experience. Different strokes for different folks.

My '19 has 4.10's in it and has plenty of power, but I find 1st gear (6spd auto) is a bit high. Pulling out onto the highway from a hayfield that is below grade puts a lot of heat in that transmission, which can't be a good thing. If I could reorder that truck, it'd be a 450 with 4.30's in it.

I am about convinced the gear ratio in the trans has as much or more to do with power as the rears. That 550 has really shown that. I can take the same load, same hill, same gear and RPMs with my 350 as the 550. With the higher gear rear in my 350 I am just traveling faster. The power kill comes in being in the higher gear trans wise. That 550 doesn't have more power it just moves slower. I can see why with the older 5 spd. trucks the low gear helps starting out but L gets rid of that when you get to the 6 spd. Same apllies in the auto trans. As they have added gears 1st. is quite a bit lower than before.
It boils down to the "power band" of your engine, for lack of better terms. I had a DRW Cummins truck with 3.73's in it and felt it was just about perfect, but a buddy of mine has a 5500 Cummins with 4.44 or similar in it and says it falls on its' face on interstate. V8's have a higher sweet spot than straight 6's.

Latest posts