Using kerosene in diesel engines....

Help Support CattleToday:

Our local Southern States has diesel fuel with a cetane rating of 50 and 99% of the stations around here have 40 on the pumps. The trucks seem to run better on the 50, and I try to make sure every time I come through town with one of the diesels that I fill it up there. They also have non-ethanol gas and I do try to run a tank of that through the cars and my little 2wd ranger every couple of fillups. Is it worth the filling up with the non-ethanol every couple of tanks? I seem to get 1-2 mpg better if I run say 2 tanks in a row in the truck. But the diesels really do run better and cleaner it seems. They are also very competitive or even better in price with the diesel than anyone else around and do a pretty good business.
Thanks for the tip on the oil added to the fuel, for lube. I do put an additive into the old Farmall H with every tank of gas.... lead substitute..... son said to make sure so that it would not cause problems with the cylinders (?) or something. I know when that tractor was made there was lead in all the gas.
From what I understand, the lead cushioned the valve seats.
I use an additive in my diesel pickup I get at TSC. Supposed to lube better.

Power Service products do IMO. They are the only ones I know of recommended by Cummins.
As the sulfur has been mandated lower the cetane and lubricity have suffered.
To remove sulfur from diesel this is done under pressure of 400 psi or greater using a cobalt-moly catalyst in the 600 degree range. When the diesel molecule passes over the catalyst with hydrogen injected the sulfur breaks from the chain being replaced by hydrogen.
The sulfur molecule is joined by two hydrogen molecules making H2S.
During this process some of the longer chain molecules break in the presence on heat and hydrogen partial pressure.
This is an exothermic reaction is defined as a reaction that releases heat and has a net negative standard enthalpy change.
This is a huge hydrogen uptake for every sulfur molecule removed requires three hydrogen molecules every organic nitrogen requires four hydrogen for structural balance of the molecules.

Sorry for the long winded version.
So what made low sulfur diesel gel at 26 degrees back in 94? Had to use a lot of kerosene that winter in our road tractors.

So what made low sulfur diesel gel at 26 degrees back in 94? Had to use a lot of kerosene that winter in our road tractors.
You were getting supplied with #2 diesel that had a high cloud point. Highway diesel is supposed to have a cloud of 14 to 15 degrees. Sounds like a a couple issues here.
One the quality control at the refinery messed up. The refinery somewhere in the supply chain was running a heavy asphalt crude they can create blending and storage nightmares . This type of crude is very paraffinic. This probably came from a single train refinery versus a complex where there is more thermal cracking in the presence of catalyst.
When temperatures start staying at 30 or below the supplier should start producing #1 diesel. There were a couple crudes from Venezuela that were tough for us to get cloud on in a complex refinery. We would usually run the diesel through a hydrocracker converting it to gasoline.
I know Mayan crude from a certain area gave us fits, it made fluorescent pink kerosene, no one could figure out why. It met every spec for kerosene but color that is supposed to be water white.
So we had two options solution by dilution or drop in diesel.

From what I understand, the lead cushioned the valve seats.
I use an additive in my diesel pickup I get at TSC. Supposed to lube better.
Tetra ethyl lead was a cheap octane inhancer that you could use on highly paraffin raffinate.
That was some dirty stuff .
The knock lab guys hated it caused more engine rebuilds.
When the government phased out lead refinery process units had to be built to convert the sorry crap into a fuel you could use.
Very familiar with the process as I got appointed to deal with the mess of one.

@Caustic Burno . Thank you for all the info. I will tell you that I do not begin to understand most of it, but have read some of the stuff several times and at least I have gotten a general idea and better understanding of some of the stuff. I will never really "understand it" but at least I can grasp some of the different things that goes on in a refinery in basic layman's simple terms. And what different "qualities" of some of the fuel is.
My hat's off to you for all the really complicated technical stuff that you worked/dealt with.

You were getting supplied with #2 diesel that had a high cloud point. Highway diesel is supposed to have a cloud of 14 to 15 degrees. Sounds like a a couple issues here.
One the quality control at the refinery messed up. The refinery somewhere in the supply chain was running a heavy asphalt crude they can create blending and storage nightmares . This type of crude is very paraffinic. This probably came from a single train refinery versus a complex where there is more thermal cracking in the presence of catalyst.
When temperatures start staying at 30 or below the supplier should start producing #1 diesel. There were a couple crudes from Venezuela that were tough for us to get cloud on in a complex refinery. We would usually run the diesel through a hydrocracker converting it to gasoline.
I know Mayan crude from a certain area gave us fits, it made fluorescent pink kerosene, no one could figure out why. It met every spec for kerosene but color that is supposed to be water white.
So we had two options solution by dilution or drop in diesel.
Might have the year wrong CB, it was the first winter low sulfur was forced on us, fuel manager at the co-op said the refineries didn't have the chemistry right on this low sulfur fuel so they, co-op, were diluting with kerosene in their storage tanks. Trucking company I worked for hauled fuel, one of our accounts was the co-op, I was the night mechanic. One of our trucks gelled up while on it's way with a load of fuel for the co-op, it wasn't that cold, mid twenties. I went out and changed fuel filters on the side of the road, then followed him to make sure he made it. Fuel manager was very upset his load was late, was chewing both our butts cause he had warned our boss to cut our fuel with kerosene to prevent gelling. Like it was our fault you know, anyway, left a vivid memory. Shortly after this happened, the co-op bought their own transport trucks.

Hauling fuel from the terminal with a tanker truck, you always have a load sheet listing each compartment # and size and how many gallons of #1 and #2 to put in each compartment to create winter blend, and the percentages often changed with the forecast. Summer is usually straight #2.

Also in the mid nineties, we once had every available truck making runs to St. Louis to haul kerosene back to Ohio. Used to be a company advertised, you go or we pay the toll, well, that supreme fuel was gelling on the road in mid twenty temps. I haven't heard that jingle in some years.

The trucking company was a division of an oil company, so we had barrels of their fuel coloring, er, premium fuel conditioner, on hand. When it gets cold, don't bother with fuel conditioner, dilute with kerosene. I hated seeing my drivers stranded, trucks get cold quick when the engine quits at ten or twenty below.

I don't hear near as many stories today, the last truck fuel gelling story I heard was a number of years ago and he had filled up down south with cheap fuel, not thinking of the temps back here at home. Farm tractors and farm tanks on the other hand, often go into winter with summer fuel.

This was a total government screw up as usual. The LSD was mandated what they didn't count on is the refineries opting out. 06 was the roll out of EPA mandated LSD. It was a nightmare.
We chose not to build new processing units and export diesel or convert it.
We went from producing 140k barrels a day to 30k of highway diesel. Dropping the sulfur from 450 ppm to 10 ppm changed the molecular structure of diesel as we knew it.

@Caustic Burno . Thank you for all the info. I will tell you that I do not begin to understand most of it, but have read some of the stuff several times and at least I have gotten a general idea and better understanding of some of the stuff. I will never really "understand it" but at least I can grasp some of the different things that goes on in a refinery in basic layman's simple terms. And what different "qualities" of some of the fuel is.
My hat's off to you for all the really complicated technical stuff that you worked/dealt with.
Thanks it was fun to go to work. There was always a challenge and I got to work with some of finest people.
It was a very unique environment and place, you could hire in a laborer and climb the ladder to your hearts desire. The company would provide your education as well.
The only thing holding you back was you.

Thanks for the info CB.

A quick search and I found this. It says in stock at local Walmart. I may start using it often in the diesels as I have used a lot of Marvel Mystery oil in the past.

a5de2c15-0b75-4590-a41b-29580ece0ce4_3.1ce69a37e2c5e59720a5b1cfaa26e3ee.jpeg
Got a couple gallons and already adding to the diesel tanks. The tractors run good with it and know doubt will have less fuel related problems and will even lube the top cylinders.

Latest posts