ford 8 n value

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
What's a solid rust free 8n worth? Guy says it's a 46 model which makes it pretty early I assume. do they work? This one still has fenders and straight sheet metal.

I have no idea but are you sure it is a 8N? I'm thinking 8Ns didn't come around until 1948. I'm thinking it might be a 2N if it was built during WWII. Does the tractor have a starter, generator, and lights?

I don't know John. I know it's got a distributor. It looks like it's got a lot of levers to make things work. It's got a small shredder hanging off the back.
The value I see in it us it's early and straight.

Kingfisher":1pov5f0l said:
I don't know John. I know it's got a distributor. It looks like it's got a lot of levers to make things work. It's got a small shredder hanging off the back.
The value I see in it us it's early and straight.

If the model year is correct, I suppose it could be a 2N or a 9N. According to this link, a 2N war model would have a mag, but I'm sure a mag could be easily replaced by a distributor if you added a battery and generator :idea:

i grew up with a '52 8N. IIRC the last year was the only year for the side mount distributor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_N-Series_tractor

The one your looking at, is definitely not an 8n. As to the value, without standing by it $1500 possibly 2000 if its exception. I have a 52 8n. I actually use mine a lot. Mostly because I'm attached to it. If it was the only tractor I had, I'd get rid of it in a second. I've got a little 5' shredder for mine, and I like it for clipping under trees, and around barns. It'll do a few things in the hay field, that make it worth having around. For actual work, it's useless. If you just like old iron, there are better choices.

Bigfoot":1j003dem said:
The one your looking at, is definitely not an 8n. As to the value, without standing by it $1500 possibly 2000 if its exception. I have a 52 8n. I actually use mine a lot. Mostly because I'm attached to it. If it was the only tractor I had, I'd get rid of it in a second. I've got a little 5' shredder for mine, and I like it for clipping under trees, and around barns. It'll do a few things in the hay field, that make it worth having around. For actual work, it's useless. If you just like old iron, there are better choices.

Back in the day, our 8N was mostly used as an ATV before there were ATVs :p The side mount distributor is prone to getting wet. In calving season I would often leave a heat lamp on the distributor when I parked the tractor so she would fire off. Had a little box that mounted on the rear to haul a chilled calf to the barn.

For haying, a 7' sickle bar mower is a good match for a N. As is a standard wheel or ground drive basket rake.

Post hole digger is a good use for a N, although the hydraulics are a bit marginal. You might need a couple wood posts to use as a lever to give a little boost if you let the auger screw itself down too far and get stuck in the hole.

If you burn wood, there are rear mounted buzz saws for N tractors. There are also 3 pt mounted cement mixers available. I still have one but the tractor is long gone.

Latest posts