Fly Control-Minerals with IGR???

Help Support CattleToday:

NorCalFarms

Reaction score
Hope this isn't a dumb question, but since it isn't common around here to even feed minerals, I am trying to figure out what the IGR is in them that ya'll talk about to control flies. Asked around a little and got the "HUH" answer from my suppliers.
Reason I am asking is our fly problem is not long, it is still freezing at night here, but it can be bad from June-Sept as it doesn't freeze much then. We have been putting in insecticide ear tags, and occasionally spraying groups that are bad, but I am trying to get away from having to work cattle as much, just to put tags in and out. Since we feed mineral in the summer anyway, thought that if there is something I can add to it that might be the ticket. Most cattle in this area are out on the desert all summer, I am one of the few on irrigated pasture, and hence with a fly problem.

The most prevalent IGR is probably Altosid. Do a google search for it. Around here it is in the hard molases lick tubs of several brands.

Went to an extension service meeting on fly control recently. The extension guy said the IGR was very effective in controling flies that hatched in manure from cows that consumed the IGR, however if your neighbors don't use it, then some of their flies will migrate to your cows where there is less competition.

For this reason, I don't use the IGR, just diazinon fly tags & an occasional spraying with CoRal. Have gotten away from the permethrin tags as flys got resistant. Only way the permethrin tags would kill is when used as a fly swatter.

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

IGR (Insect Growth Regulator) is a feed through product. It is manufactured with a very large molecular size so that it merely passes through the digestive tract of cattle and is never digested so it never enters the blood stream nor meat. It is deposited into the manure so that the fly larvae do eat the chemical and it prevents the larvae from ever developing into adult flies. Note that it does not kill adult flies but merely prevents the development of new ones. Altosid has a clearance on horn flies which is the biggest economic pest. Other flies often lay eggs in rotten hay, silage, etc. so the IGR doens't work there because it isn't being deposited into those breeding areas. Most flies migrate very little and they only leave the host animal to lay eggs then return very quickly. It is possible for flies to leave the neighbors cows and come to your animals if they have a common fence area. IGR (Altosid) is effective but like most other things is only a part of a good management program. Hope that helps some. IGR (Altosid) is available in loose mineral, pressed blocks or tubs. Another option is Rabon oral larvacide which is also available in all 3 forms. Some resistance has been shown with the Rabon.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":30424lc9 said:
Uh why would it not be common to feed minerals? Cattle need minerals period no matter where you live. I have used igr minerals. Dont work. I have used rabon minerals. Dont work. The only thing I have found to work is either spraying them about every 2-3 weeks with Permectrin II insecticide or the rubs.

Using IGR isn;t an either or deal. It's just one piece of the total package of fly control.

dun

kyblockhead":1gas04ob said:
IGR (Insect Growth Regulator) is a feed through product. It is manufactured with a very large molecular size so that it merely passes through the digestive tract of cattle and is never digested so it never enters the blood stream nor meat. It is deposited into the manure so that the fly larvae do eat the chemical and it prevents the larvae from ever developing into adult flies. Note that it does not kill adult flies but merely prevents the development of new ones. Altosid has a clearance on horn flies which is the biggest economic pest. Other flies often lay eggs in rotten hay, silage, etc. so the IGR doens't work there because it isn't being deposited into those breeding areas. Most flies migrate very little and they only leave the host animal to lay eggs then return very quickly. It is possible for flies to leave the neighbors cows and come to your animals if they have a common fence area. IGR (Altosid) is effective but like most other things is only a part of a good management program. Hope that helps some. IGR (Altosid) is available in loose mineral, pressed blocks or tubs. Another option is Rabon oral larvacide which is also available in all 3 forms. Some resistance has been shown with the Rabon.
Above is all good info.....very little if any migration from one herd to another. Altosid is effective, but must be in a mineral that is pretty palatable so cattle consume it regularly.

Just to pick a nit, Altosid is absorbed to a very small extent. There are studies of radioactive labeled Altosid fed orally and the radioactivity was found in the meat. It is very very small, and there is no withdrawal period for slaughter. Several natural beef companies accept its use as part of their program. It is also used in municipal water supplies in some places. It has been around for 25 years or more, is safe and we find it effective as PART of a fly control program.

We buy it as Altosid premix in 25 lb bags and then mix it ouselves with our mineral. It is expensive about $120 for 25 lb.

Rabon is an organophospate, and it is absorbed and will be found in the meat. I just don't like this class and try to stay away if I can, not always successful, so it too is a part of the package.

Here is a link to the label for Altosid premix: http://www.starbarproducts.com/MSDS/Alt ... ixsplb.pdf

Billy

Rabon Oral Larvicide is no more absorbed than Altosid. There were numerous studies done to find how to make Rabon into the correct size of hard granule so that it would pass through the GI tract, in tact. If it were absorbed, then it would be excreted in urine, not manure. There is no meat withhdrawal, nor milk withholding time for use of Rabon Oral Larvicide. It is safe to feed to lactating dairy cattle or up to slaughter.

CowguyTN":3wo73vxt said:
Rabon Oral Larvicide is no more absorbed than Altosid. There were numerous studies done to find how to make Rabon into the correct size of hard granule so that it would pass through the GI tract, in tact. If it were absorbed, then it would be excreted in urine, not manure. There is no meat withhdrawal, nor milk withholding time for use of Rabon Oral Larvicide. It is safe to feed to lactating dairy cattle or up to slaughter.

All the above applies to IGR ( Altosid) (methroprene) as well, however, over time flies have shown an ability to build resistance to Rabon. Both are "dung beetle friendly". Personally I feed the IGR mineral year round but pen and spray all cattle in early spring as well.

We've have it in our cows mineral feeders and well, our flies got so out of control we had to get one herd up to spray. So i dunno, had it out for them to eat since the fall and the flies were still really bad. But, one herd in the back seemed ok. No neighbor cows on the herds where they flies were terrible, herd in the back borders two other ranchers and their flies were average. Not sure if its worth the extra money...

TexasBred":90edmtd0 said:
It's worth it and the extra cost is minimal. Nothing is going to get rid of all the flies.
You should have seen the poor things. It was like a black cloud was over them. The worst i have ever seen in all my years.

I was at a presentation a couple of weeks ago about fly control. The main vocus was on horn and face flys. I don;t recall which but one of them just drops off the cow to the fresh pat and doesn;t travle far from the cow. The other one will travel up to a mile to move from cow to cow and cow to pat.

We had good luck with Purina Wind and Rain w/fly control last year and have it out now.

kucala5":3857z6i4 said:
We had good luck with Purina Wind and Rain w/fly control last year and have it out now.
Thats what we are using. If its working i sure would hate to see how the flies would be without it.. :eek:

cowgirl8":3o0sb9zq said:
kucala5":3o0sb9zq said:
Thats what we are using. If its working i sure would hate to see how the flies would be without it.. :eek:
We start using it before the temps go up so it has time to cycle through. Sure beats spraying. We will know this year if it was a fluke, but last year there was a noticeable difference. Fingers crossed! (NO flies at this time)

kucala5":3dzug5gi said:
cowgirl8":3dzug5gi said:
kucala5":3dzug5gi said:
We start using it before the temps go up so it has time to cycle through. Sure beats spraying. We will know this year if it was a fluke, but last year there was a noticeable difference. Fingers crossed! (NO flies at this time)
We started feeding it last fall... i'm hoping the weather change was the reason for so many...I want this stuff to work. I feel bad when they have flies.

I'll second purina wind and rain with igr. We are in Cencal and the dc did not even have the product. We have been using it and it looks good.

A suggestion. When changing minerals buyjust 1 or 2 bags of the stuff and give it a try. I won several bags of the purina mineral in a raffle and my cows wouildn;t touch the stuff. But they had been on Vigortone minerals for the past 10 years or so, maybe just the change of texture/taste/smell put them off.

dun":35ijg4z3 said:
A suggestion. When changing minerals buyjust 1 or 2 bags of the stuff and give it a try. I won several bags of the purina mineral in a raffle and my cows wouildn;t touch the stuff. But they had been on Vigortone minerals for the past 10 years or so, maybe just the change of texture/taste/smell put them off.

I buy the tub from the Vigortone dealer that is mineral with IGR. I have the loose in the feeder
as well. When we get the spring flush they can't get enough after that they won't touch it hardly.
The Cargill Emerald must taste like sweet feed to mine cause they never
check up when I tried it.
What I don't like about the loose is the boss cow fighting the mouse cows off
and eating 25 pounds.

Latest posts