Flushing Cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
At work, (Detering Brahmans), Mr. Detering asked me to stay Tuesday night and help flush some of the cows. He said they just need help holding lights and handing stuff to them, but Id like to know a little more about it. What exactly is flushing, and what does it do. Im just looking for some info on the topic.

Thanks

It's the process of recovering embryos from a high quality cow. A flush cow is given a series of shots (which BTW, must be given every 12 hours exactly, no more than 15 minutes off!) to make her super ovulate - some cows will give up to 20 embryos. The embryos can be recovered via flushing at 6-9 days past ovulation.

Hey TEX COUNTRY BOY,you really have a great opportunity to pick up some valuable experience and i bet this guy wouldnt mind teaching you. dont be afraid to ask questions and hang in there!

milkmaid":2p7zof8n said:
(which BTW, must be given every 12 hours exactly, no more than 15 minutes off!)

12 hours is ideal but I have been a couple hours one way or the other and still been successful. I don't recommend doing it intentionally but it still worked for me when I had to.

You say that it has to be done 6-9 days past ovulation, but Mr. Detering said that it is something they plan months in advance. And turns out, Mr. Detering wont be there, only the ranch worker, who doesnt speak english. So I cant really ask too many questions.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":39excfmg said:
You say that it has to be done 6-9 days past ovulation, but Mr. Detering said that it is something they plan months in advance. And turns out, Mr. Detering wont be there, only the ranch worker, who doesnt speak english. So I cant really ask too many questions.

It does take a lot of planning especially if you have several donors and are setting up a lot of recips to put embryos in fresh. You have to have the donor's sychronized before you start FSH shots and you need to get the recips to come in heat about the same time you breed the donors (after the FSH).

When it comes time to flush the cow they will use a catheter to flush fluid in and out of the uterus. The drain line has a microfilter on it that keeps the embryos and a small amount of fluid to take to the microscope. They will find the embryos and put them in separate dishes to freeze or implant.

Hope that answers your question. It is a pretty general expanation to a somewhat complicated procedure.

Latest posts